Cruise control stopped working (tried a few things)

Valleyboy44

Hi All, 

My car is 2013 old shape 1.6tdi greenline. 

Cruise control has suddenly stopped working. 

I've scanned the car via an android app scanner it's says there are no codes stored. 

I have taken apart the cruise control switch on the indicator arm, cleaned with a bit of white spirit, there was 'gunk' on it. 

This made no different my brake lights are working 'apparently' this takes out the brake light switch theory. 

There are no warning lights or messages on info centre. 

I've searched the forum and tried the above. 

Any other ideas please? 

Cheers in advance! 

Are there micro-switches on clutch and/or brake pedals in the Yeti?  I know these can cause CC problems on other makes.... they can break,  or become mis-aligned/dislodged.  Worth a "feel" around the pedals for anything loose.

Edited by Zarniwoop

Cheers will do. 

Just went out on another test drive... 

It works intermittently... 

But.... 

The green cruise control icon appears above the fuel gauge BUT the icon doesn't appear in the maxidot display?

It worked earlier... But stopped the car came out of the shop tried it again and it doesn't work. 

It worked again... 

Cheers 

It seems fixed? 

Sad question... 

The cruise icon doesn't appear in the maxidot display anymore? Im sure it used to appear instead of mileage? (might have dreamt it) 

I'm with Ken: cruise control being engaged is shown by a green symbol illuminating within the speedometer dial.  I've never seen anything relating to CC on the Maxidot on either of my Yetis.  (I have seen cruise control info appear on the Maxidot - or whatever VW call it - of a Golf that I rented once: it showed the speed that the CC was set to.  Since that speed was based on the same inaccurate data that's used for the speedometer and the Maxidot speed display, I didn't think it was a great deal of use.)

Weasley is correct, I enabled it on mine with VCDs, but a factory reset took it off and I never re-enabled it. 

It does suggest an electrical/control issue was the fault with the Valleyboy's car if he's lost the maxidot indicator, though.

• Like 1

I have it enabled in my Yeti and although inaccurate I find it EXTREMELY helpful. Easily done with OBDeleven, though I have heard it said that depending on which engine type you have, it might not work due to ECU differences. 

Just remember the calibrated km reading for the true speed of the car

on mine

119km/hr displayed on maxi dot is exactly 70mph, 101 is 60, 85 is 50, 69 is 40 and 53 is 30. Use these and at 70 you will pass most traffic in a 70 limit using there speedo reading and still be legal.

19 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Just remember the calibrated km reading for the true speed of the car

on mine

119km/hr displayed on maxi dot is exactly 70mph, 101 is 60, 85 is 50, 69 is 40 and 53 is 30. Use these and at 70 you will pass most traffic in a 70 limit using there speedo reading and still be legal.

Certainly. My speedo shows 4-5% too high, regardless of speed.

On 30/01/2020 at 14:40, Valleyboy44 said:

It worked again... 

Cheers 

It seems fixed? 

Sad question... 

The cruise icon doesn't appear in the maxidot display anymore? Im sure it used to appear instead of mileage? (might have dreamt it) 

You could try to VCDS:

"Display Cruise Control Speed:

Display the speed set for the cruise control in the bottom left corner of the MFD

image.png.f484c2d82b5dae00eaf3240cc3d772bb.png
This mod will show the actual speed, not the speed shown by the speedo (accurate within 1 km/h). The speed is visible when the cruise control is switched on and the car is moving, otherwise the total driven distance is shown. If the figures are small it means that the speed is set but the cruise control is not active, if the figures are big (as in the image above) the cruise control is active.

Instruments - 17
Adaptation - 10
Control Display  select "Active" "

On 01/02/2020 at 16:14, Badarkablar said:

You could try to VCDS:

"Display Cruise Control Speed:

Display the speed set for the cruise control in the bottom left corner of the MFD

image.png.f484c2d82b5dae00eaf3240cc3d772bb.png
This mod will show the actual speed, not the speed shown by the speedo (accurate within 1 km/h). The speed is visible when the cruise control is switched on and the car is moving, otherwise the total driven distance is shown. If the figures are small it means that the speed is set but the cruise control is not active, if the figures are big (as in the image above) the cruise control is active.

Instruments - 17
Adaptation - 10
Control Display  select "Active" "

The idea that this should show the actual speed is incorrect, unfortunately. The modification works great and is really useful, but the accuracy is no better than the analog speedo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Difference between accuracy and precision: the display is precise to the nearest 1kmph, but the measurement it is being given to display is usually inaccurate by a few kmph cf the car's actual speed.

I used to use the technique suggested by kenfowler3966 i.e. remember what the kmph display says when you're doing a known mph (in my case, calibrated on a straight and level stretch of road against GPS).  Never mind whether or not that number was accurate, it was generally precise - you just had to remember it (IIRC a calibrated 30mph was 55kmph on the Maxidot).  These days I use the GPS-derived speed display on my dashcam's screen if I need to know my speed to the nearest ±1mph.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Difference between accuracy and precision: the display is precise to the nearest 1kmph, but the measurement it is being given to display is usually inaccurate by a few kmph cf the car's actual speed.

I used to use the technique suggested by kenfowler3966 i.e. remember what the kmph display says when you're doing a known mph (in my case, calibrated on a straight and level stretch of road against GPS).  Never mind whether or not that number was accurate, it was generally precise - you just had to remember it (IIRC a calibrated 30mph was 55kmph on the Maxidot).  These days I use the GPS-derived speed display on my dashcam's screen if I need to know my speed to the nearest ±1mph.

30mph is 53km/h on mine, so must vary slightly depending on tyres used and how worn. Strangely my 16" winters are identical to my 17" original wheels.

For completeness in my car

40mph is 69km/h

50mph is 85km/h

60mph is 101km/h

70mph is 118km/h

I hardly ever look at the speedo needle now, just use one of the 5 above from the km/h reading to check my speed and set the cruise, which i use all the time the car is driving at the relevant speed limit and a safe distance behind the car in front. If getting too close I will reduce speed by tapping the button, but you have to wait until it settles at the new speed before tapping again otherwise nothing happens. (A previous Skoda Superb, you could tap the control say 4 times quickly and you would slow down about 3mph, but doesn't work that way in Yeti?)

2 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

but you have to wait until it settles at the new speed before tapping again otherwise nothing happens. (A previous Skoda Superb, you could tap the control say 4 times quickly and you would slow down about 3mph, but doesn't work that way in Yeti?)

That seems to differ with different models. My previous Yeti, a '14 1.4TSI-122, was like yours. My present one though - '16 1.4TSI-125, works like your Superb did (after activating the cruise control on the central display).