Reverse gear gets stuck in Skoda Fabia Combi 1.2 TSI Manual, 90hp, 2017

No, its the same. 

On 20/06/2020 at 17:58, pikpilot said:

Raise the clutch to put a little load on the gear and then push the clutch pedal fully down again and then move the gear lever. It usually works.

I've tried this and it works.

This video explains exectly the issie i have 

18 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Does it become easy to pull the gear lever out of reverse if you turn the engine off?

Thanks, AG Falco

I have tried today and aftee turning off the engine it goes easy and smooth. So it looks like there is some load on the gear even the clutch is fully pressed. The video shared by markok is exactly my issue.

I don't know if there is synchromesh on reverse gear (unlikely) but the two solutions above (mine and AG Falco) were a necessity on cars produced before early 1980's - and some later ones too. Of course it would be made worse by a clutch needing bleeding (or cable adjustment in the past) but it is just luck whether the two gears stop on top of each other and then won't engage until you use either of the solutions above.

Another way is to press down on the clutch pedal and then move the gear lever hard into reverse and then back to neutral a few times. It will often cause one gear to move a fraction so at next attempt it will engage.

• 8 months later...

Update from todays check (after 3 years) They did brake fluid change and also bled the clutch. Pulling from reverse is now little bit better but still not good. They told me to record video of the issue so they can see it better. (I tried it 20 times at the service center and works flawlessly. They also did test drive with no issues found). When I parked in my garage this issue appeared again.  I probably need to take them home :D

• 2 months later...

In my case, VW has replaced

the gearbox since the car was in warranty. I couldn't reproduce the gearbox getting stuck while pulling out from reverse. So, I recorded a video for them to see. I must say it was not a pleasant experience as a customer with VW dealership.

Edited by Hassan_skoda

3 hours ago, AGFalco said:

It tends to happen more often the colder it is and the shorter the journey is.

Thanks, AG Falco

In that case shouldn't they look at using a different and better oil(?). :sadsmile:

I'll get me coat . . .

I don't think it is the oil in the gearbox or the engine.

For me it is more noticeable when the weather is cold.

Thanks, AG Falco 

A different and/or better oil can't overcome a fault or flaw in design and/or build but can sometimes ease a reluctance.

In my Midget I've got a Ford Type 9 manual gearbox from Sierra days which was basically their 4-speed manual with an added 5th gear, them and Vauxhall with their 5-speed found they needed a different oil but later developments bought an oil that was better for colder climates in easing cold weather gear shifts but before this time Ford had moved on, and so had and have oils.  I use a type of oil in that gearbox the some say with ruin the box and rob me of my teeth and good looks, as if! :biggrin:

Same with the Rover 5-speed manual box LT77 I remember seeing different oils being specified by the manufacturer over different years including IIRC ATF.

This year as the first job I've ever done on the Fabia I changed the transmission oil for the standard 5-speed as the car is mostly used on very short journeys in town and oil wears.  My wife said the feel of the gear shifts had improved with the change of oil and we've been together too long for her to say that just to please me.

Some people think that as oil has been in the ground for millions of years so that's how long it can stay in the transmission,  but not me.

Castrol SMX possibly what was in the Ford bottles, but I don't know, but even Ford didn't have oil refineries even if their name was on the bottle and the Castrol was dyed red.

smxfrontlabel.jpg

smxrearlabel.jpg

Edited by nta16

When it sticks in reverse gear it is as if you are trying to pull it in neutral but without putting the clutch in first.

As if the clutch is dragging and not disengaging properly.

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AGFalco said:

When it sticks in reverse gear it is as if you are trying to pull it in neutral but without putting the clutch in first.

As if the clutch is dragging and not disengaging properly.

Thanks, AG Falco

No, that' s a fault, most likely bad parts quality or build, no amount of high quality lubrication can overcome this.  Building cheaper often doesn't lead to building better, well not for the end user anyway.  The race to the bottom has been going on for some while, but variable quality has always existed anyway.  I've owned British made cars since the 70s so know all about variable quality and well before the rush to the far east.

• 9 months later...
On 03/05/2021 at 14:42, krtko1992 said:

Update from todays check (after 3 years) They did brake fluid change and also bled the clutch. Pulling from reverse is now little bit better but still not good. They told me to record video of the issue so they can see it better. (I tried it 20 times at the service center and works flawlessly. They also did test drive with no issues found). When I parked in my garage this issue appeared again.  I probably need to take them home :D

Another update, they disassembled the clutch and found out that there was 1 par damaged which probably causing vibrations and the clutch cannot be disangaged properly. They replaced whole clutch set and not the problem is solved. Furtunatelly still under warranty.

• Thanks 1