PASSENGER SIDE WINDSCREEN WIPER

robinbid

I've just bought a 2015 Citigo SE and am so far very pleased. I wonder if anyone can explain why the passenger side wiper, being shorter, only clears part of the screen? This makes life difficult in filthy weather trying to see left at junctions with a load of muck on the passenger side. Has anyone solved this by fitting a longer wiper? 

2 hours ago, robinbid said:

I've just bought a 2015 Citigo SE and am so far very pleased. I wonder if anyone can explain why the passenger side wiper, being shorter, only clears part of the screen? This makes life difficult in filthy weather trying to see left at junctions with a load of muck on the passenger side. Has anyone solved this by fitting a longer wiper? 

Seeing as the car is new to you but a 15 plate have you checked there wiper fitted is the correct length wiper blade for you particular car ?

Just a thought.................

43 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Seeing as the car is new to you but a 15 plate have you checked there wiper fitted is the correct length wiper blade for you particular car ?

Just a thought.................

Should be 16"/400mm.

If the blade is not sitting flush and level in the rest position,then it needs taking off on the wiper drive spline and repositioning.The arm is a tight fit and spring loaded.

You can buy a cheap tool from "auction site" to pull off the arm by putting pressure on the spline.If you are not competent ,then its a job for a garage. 

Some times wear on the linkage that drives the blades can cause this misalignment.Garage will chose to replace the expensive linkage,rather than adjust.....

don't forget to put wipers in service position to avoid wiper arms damaging the bonnet while changing the blades: To do this turn ignition on, then off again then immediately pull down and hold right hand stalk down until wipers move to middle of screen and stop.

Just to add that many cars these days have different length front  wipers, and that on my new Citigo they work fine at clearing space - I'm guessing someone has previously fitted the wrong size blade on your car.  They are noisy though on my car - it is not a dirty screen, it's because the originals are cheap, and I can't wait to justify a change to Bosch aerotwins, which are the best blades I've found for any car in the last 45 years...

Edited by freemansteve

Thanks for the helpful comments. Spotted a VW Up in a car park and discovered the wiper arms have been swapped round - the longer one should be on the passenger side. Now to suss how to get them off......

The longer one on a Citigo is definitely on the driver's side. you push the button down and pull the wiper out. putting the new one in may be a tight fit but the Bosch A556s does fit.

4 minutes ago, peter3197 said:

The longer one on a Citigo is definitely on the driver's side. you push the button down and pull the wiper out. putting the new one in may be a tight fit but the Bosch A556s does fit.

Yes, it's the arms rather than the blades that have been changed. On the Up!, the passenger side arm is the longer, which accounts for the sweep of the shorter blade. Mine are the wrong way round.

You have the longer arm on the driver's side, why would anyone do that? So you need to swap the arms over. This is how they should be in first photo then in service position.

skoda-citigo-hatchback-petrol_35898158.jpg

IMG_20200205_183324.jpg

Edited by peter3197