Extended Warrentee anyone ?

Hi all,

Coming to end of 3 yr new car warranty so looking around for an aftermarket one. I have checked Skoda and their price seemed competitive much to my surprise. I compared with Warranty Direct who I have used in the past and always found very good. Just wondering if any one has any experience or recommendations ?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Smudgers said:

Hi all,

Coming to end of 3 yr new car warranty so looking around for an aftermarket one. I have checked Skoda and their price seemed competitive much to my surprise. I compared with Warranty Direct who I have used in the past and always found very good. Just wondering if any one has any experience or recommendations ?

Thanks

I've gone down the finance package route with both VWFS and Skoda FS (same thing) purely because of the extended warranties that were free or vastly reduced (the deals/sales campaigns vary)  This was in both the case of when I had manufacturers warranty remaining and/or 12 month used warranty and I topped them up.  From memory, there were very few exclusions and 'gotchas' with the VW/Skoda backed warranties, which was surprising.  As long as you keep everything maintained to schedule you should be ok with most things that can't be classed as 'wear and tear'. 

With both Skoda and VW cars I'm glad I extended the warranty as I did make claims that were accepted without argument and in the case of my VW Passat CC, a new pano roof would have cost me ~£3k.  IME I would surmise that you only really need to make one claim to cover the cost of your initial outlay to extend the warranty.  Personally, I prefer the peace of mind vs. having a nasty repair bill with no warranty in place; I've just factored the initial outlay into to the initial purchase price (along with a service package)

• Like 2

I've got a motor assured waranty from vertu motors. I've claimed on it once for both tail gate struts and they paid up in full. The warranty cost around 500 and that claim alone was just over a grand. I had to pay it as I didn't use one of their garages I had skoda do the work.

55 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Just out of interest and because I am too lazy to search myself ... Can you extend the Skoda warranty past 5 years ?

I think you can but there are exclusions based on age/mileage/service history of the car.  The price is inflated accordingly.  IIRC they used to have different levels of warranty for older cars but I might be making that up 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I think you can but there are exclusions based on age/mileage/service history of the car.  The price is inflated accordingly.  IIRC they used to have different levels of warranty for older cars but I might be making that up 😂

I may have a look in a few months....

3 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

I may have a look in a few months....

Allow me 😁

https://insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/extended-warranty

Expand ‘More information’ then check the eligibility criteria at the bottom of the page. Yes it’s VW but Škoda will almost certainly have similar cover, T&C’s, etc. 

• Like 1

I just paid £160 for a 4th year warranty which I feel is good value. Just had the 3 year service and warranty checks and had a years Skoda breakdown cover for free. I have used Capitol Skoda in Newport for my dealer servicing and have found them excellent. Cheaper than the independents for Mot and brake fluid change.

I'm just about to purchase a 66 plate Superb that has done around 11500 miles, the initial warranty has expired but I am thinking of paying for the Skoda Extended Warranty, does anyone know if the EGR valve would be replaced on this, I know the DPF isn't covered after reading their what is/is not covered in their warranty booklet... but as I am no way near a mechanic (I work in IT) I'm not sure what they would class the EGR valve as, and if the common fault of it going will be classed as wear and tear?