Scout Engine Overheating Warning Bleep & Red Light

Until today the temperature gauge on the Scout has sat steady just over 90 degrees once warmed up on hot sunny days or frosty mornings but, after only driving about a mile this afternoon the car gave a bleep, a red light and a message “Engine Overheating” (or something like that) and the temperature gauge rose to halfway between 90 and the red. Both the oil and coolant levels looked OK but obviously something not right! We drove it to our local garage with no problems & left it with them for diagnosis and repair. Has anybody else had this problem?

Cheers,

John

Update

The garage just rang to say that they can’t find a fault and have given it a full road test. I know it happened so I would have preferred them to say there was a fault!

Edited by Johnfella
Update

The garage said there was no historical fault showing on the diagnostic software and no loss of coolant and the electric fan was also working OK and they couldn’t find a problem but to keep an eye on it. Only doing local journeys for the next week or so ”fingers crossed”!

Just now, Johnfella said:

2015 June approx 45k

Waterpump+timing belt change interval is kinda near then, because almost 5 years old car.

Is it 5 or 6 years on your car?

My ex Octavia 1,4 TSI had 5 years / 210,000km

and current Octavia 1,6 TDI have 6 years / 210,000km

11 minutes ago, Superhero572 said:

Waterpump+timing belt change interval is kinda near then, because almost 5 years old car.

Is it 5 or 6 years on your car?

My ex Octavia 1,4 TSI had 5 years / 210,000km

and current Octavia 1,6 TDI have 6 years / 210,000km

Had it serviced last week and asked about the cam belt. Due at 5 years (not sure about mileage but much more than the car’s done!). I agreed with the garage owner that I’d get the cam belt done in June when the Scout is 5 years old.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Superhero572 said:

Waterpump. Mine did same 2018 fall once and 2019 summer 3 times then failed totally at fall (had to be towed to dealer).

Could also be thermostat failurue.

+1 👍

Worth a read:

Gaz

1 hour ago, IamGaz said:

+1 👍

Worth a read:

Gaz

Very interesting - many thanks!

The symptoms described do sound like what happened to mine today.

When my garage quoted me for changing the cam belt I think they said something about a “cam belt & water pump kit” as parts needed. Is the water pump changed at the same time as a matter of course? If so I think I might get this done sooner rather than waiting until June when it’s 5 years old.

9 minutes ago, Johnfella said:

Very interesting - many thanks!

The symptoms described do sound like what happened to mine today.

When my garage quoted me for changing the cam belt I think they said something about a “cam belt & water pump kit” as parts needed. Is the water pump changed at the same time as a matter of course? If so I think I might get this done sooner rather than waiting until June when it’s 5 years old.

If you change belt sametime with pump there’s no much cost added, because they’re next to each other*.. So most expenses come from labor.

*If i remember right there’s few engines that has waterpump away from cam belt, so ”no need” to change sametime etc, but usually when waterpump is changed it’s recommend to change cam belt too.

Edited by Superhero572
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Johnfella said:

If so I think I might get this done sooner rather than waiting until June when it’s 5 years old.

A stitch in time......

Not for the same reason, but when my vRS stopped circulating coolant, the turbo (water cooled) grenaded itself.  A month, and several thousand pounds later, it was right as rain 🙄

Gaz

49 minutes ago, Superhero572 said:

If you change belt sametime with pump there’s no much cost added, because they’re next to each other*.. So most expenses come from labor.

*If i remember right there’s few engines that has waterpump away from cam belt, so ”no need” to change sametime etc, but usually when waterpump is changed it’s recommend to change cam belt too.

I’ve decided to book the Scout in tomorrow for a new cam belt & water pump as a matter of urgency to be on the safe side. A dodgy water pump sounds like the prime suspect as that would explain a sudden surge in water temperature if the water isn’t circulating. The electric fan was still running after I switched off after a drive of just a couple of miles!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnfella said:

I’ve decided to book the Scout in tomorrow for a new cam belt & water pump as a matter of urgency to be on the safe side. A dodgy water pump sounds like the prime suspect as that would explain a sudden surge in water temperature if the water isn’t circulating. The electric fan was still running after I switched off after a drive of just a couple of miles!

If it’s TDI then car staying on after switching off is normal ”feature” on Diesel Octavias, it’s regenerating DPF.

3 minutes ago, Superhero572 said:

If it’s TDI then car staying on after switching off is normal ”feature” on Diesel Octavias, it’s regenerating DPF.

It’s the 2.0 TDI 184 BHP engine and I’m familiar with the regeneration but this didn’t sound like that and also no burning smell which I normally get.

On 11/02/2020 at 20:15, Johnfella said:

I hope you haven't booked it in with the dealer that plugged the car in, saw no fault codes and threw the keys back at you and told you to 'keep an eye on it'?

There shouldn't be a franchised Skoda dealer in the UK that isn't well aware of the water pump issues that affect most Skoda models that utilise the 2.0 TDI engine and the symptoms a failing one shows.

I also hope you've asked the dealer to consider a gesture of goodwill or contribution to the cost of replacement given that it is a well documented manufacturing defect?

• Like 2

Definately water pump.  I read somewhere that VW issued revised parts (which is what you will get if you replace the Cam belt and water pump with genuine parts).  There was suspisions of either the water-pump impeller or bearing beginning to fail. Usually the first warning of overheating is based around the needle creaping above 90C and your overheating warning.  As far as I can determine, it effected all of the Octavias from 2013 upto about 2016.  Get the pump replaced ASAP.   

14 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I hope you haven't booked it in with the dealer that plugged the car in, saw no fault codes and threw the keys back at you and told you to 'keep an eye on it'?

There shouldn't be a franchised Skoda dealer in the UK that isn't well aware of the water pump issues that affect most Skoda models that utilise the 2.0 TDI engine and the symptoms a failing one shows.

I also hope you've asked the dealer to consider a gesture of goodwill or contribution to the cost of replacement given that it is a well documented manufacturing defect?

+1 for this.

The water pump issue is well know across all 2.0 VAG diesels so they should have been on this already, even if there were no immediate fault codes they should have at least explained the potential issue & been able to check which part you have fitted & give you peace of mind for a real understanding of the issue.

The "sticky" waterpump issue is not a serious as it sounds.

Yes, the flow is restricted so if you are driving with heavy load you might have a problem but even with the sleave fully closed water can still pass & the pump itself is still operational.

It was "intermittant" on my car for about 3 months but the temperature gauge never reached the critical level before the sleeve popped open, after which you normally have no problems for the rest of the drive.

sounds similar to your experience.

You should be pushing for at least 50% contribution to the work from Skoda (if the dealer doesnt offer it you directly, call Skoda Customer Service).

This was the standard offer for most people with the same problem if you read the stick thread.

• Like 1