ABS and Traction Control warning lights appeared

Various warning lights suddenly appeared last week - unsure whether they're all related or just coincidence that they've appeared at the same time.

Tyre pressure warning was on previously and think I have a slow puncture - refilled tyre and reset the tyre pressure, all ok for a few days. Once the other warning lights appeared the tyre pressure warning appeared again and although I've checked and reset the pressure in all four tyres I'm unable to reset it.

Bulb warning light - there's been a temperamental fault with number plate lighting - one of the two bulbs goes out occasionally - tap it and it comes back on, so not sure whether the warning light is on for that fault or the AFS.

Anyone with an OBD scanner local to Penzance?! MOT due so may end up biting the bullet and buy one myself.

From what I've read on here there could be a few causes for these warnings to appear - faulty abs sensor perhaps.

superbdash.jpg

superbdash1.jpg

superbdash2.jpg

An OBD scan tool won't be any good here as it can only scan for engine/transmission faults. You'll need something that supports VAG protocols. The cheapest options i'm aware of are OBDEleven and Carista. VCDS or VCP are more comprehensive but also more expensive.

Regarding the ABS/ASR fault, I'd be checking the wheel speed sensors for damage or even just crud getting in there. The sensors are magnetic, so it's possible for metal fragments to stick to them and interfere with measurements. The sensors are usually a push fit into the hub, so it's no harm to pop them out and clean them as a first step. Check for broken/damaged wiring while you're in there. The next step would be a diagnostic scan.

Thanks for that @Chimaera ...

Been intending to jack it up and try and clean the sensors since the weekend but what with Ciara and her rain and 60mph wind which still hasn't b@ggered off I've been reluctant to spend very long outside underneath the car! Will try some cleaning asap and hope that does the trick!

Thanks for your comments @Mexico75

@Chimaera - a break in the weather - will try and clean at least a couple of those sensors today while the sky is blue! Hopefully Dennis decides he prefers it out at sea this weekend...

Regarding OBDeleven and Carista - just looked into these and watched a couple of reviews...the OBDeleven looks preferable imho but doubt I'd need the Pro functionality so for £40ish I might plump for the basic version. Not searched for threads on that topic yet so will have a look later and see what info is available on here.

Got chance to have a look at the rear sensors today, remove them and give them a bit of a clean up before refitting...no difference on the dash as of yet so off out to do a few miles and see if anything changes.

(No sign of air leaks from either of the rear tyres btw)

Some pics of what came out (mucky!), the holes on each side where the sensor fits and also a comparison between what came out (ATE) and a replacement I ordered from eurocarparts (look slightly different on the bit that sits inside the hub).

I ordered ATE parts from eurocarparts, typically they gave me Bosch - the part number is the same as the ATE one but looks ever so slightly different.

Will report shortly whether or not a quick drive removes any of the warning lights...

P1100645NS_REARsensor.JPG

P1100646NS_REARsensorcleaned.JPG

P1100653NS_REAR.JPG

P1100658sensor_old_v_new.JPG

P1100660OS_REAR.JPG

Well the weather didn't permit...but thankfully a kind local farmer allowed me to take shelter in one of their sheds for an hour or so while I removed the two front sensors.

The NS one was a pain to shift but with about 25min of wiggle, lube, wiggle, lube, wiggle, lube...it eventually came out. The OS one was more easily removed but in the end I was thankful that they all came out without damaging them.

After refitting, turned the ignition on but warning lights still there. Drove for 5 or 6 miles and lights still there. 

@TheRobinK code read here I come!

From what I could tell the cables to the sensors all appeared to be in good order externally with no sign of splits or places where water could get in and the pins were straight and un-corroded in the sensors. Gave everything a thorough clean before refitting but sadly that hasn't eliminated the problem on this occasion. 

I've got a replacement sensor for each side so if my friendly farmer fancies letting me make use of his shed again this weekend then I'll try swapping the sensors for new and hope I get the right one sooner rather than later.

If there's anyone local to Penzance with VCDS/OBDeleven/Carista that doesn't mind shining a light on the offending item, it would be marvellous to hear from you ;D

Superbsensor_NSF.JPG

Superbsensor_NSF1.JPG

@Chimaera This little gizmo arrived in the post today - opted for the OBDeleven.

Bit of a pain in the bum initially (perhaps I was sticking it in the wrong place!) - didn't want to do a complete scan and my phone not working properly wasn't helping matters, but eventually did manage to get it to complete a full scan and it threw up loads of faults (30 odd) including faults as expected for the wheel speed sensors NSF, OSF and NSR.

Gadget comes with naff all in the way of instructions and it's a right squeeze to get it in the port on a Superb mk2...tried it in a 66plate Polo too and also very tight getting it in and out... I wasn't about to pay an extra tenner though for one with a keyring stuck to it .

OBDeleven.JPG

Had a nightmare last night and entered locking wheel bolt hell. Had tightened my locking bolt way too much and in the process of getting the wheel off managed to mangle my locking key sufficiently to render it pretty useless.

Well one 3/4" socket, a long breaker bar and a bit of 'ommer later and the bolt was freed and I was relieved!

Today - NS rear sensor replaced and bingo, dashboard clear of warning lights!

Thought I'd try driving for a couple of miles to see whether faults cleared themselves before plugging OBDeleven back in. Pulled off the drive and within a few metres the ABS and ESC warnings disappeared, closely followed by the TPMS, AFS and Park Assist warnings.

Will plug OBDeleven in later/tomorrow and see what, if anything, pops up on my screen.

Thanks to those who've offered suggestions/comments and hope it's of use to others in future.

@chimaera@Mexico75@TheRobinK@PetrolDave@paulski

MOT cancelled Weds and Thurs, 3rd time lucky - TFI Friday!

P1100798.JPG

P1100782.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...