Panoramic Roof Leak

rado99

OK, I know this topic has been done to death, but I had an unusual one. The leak was from the rubber seal at the front corners or the roof. The seal had come away from the sealing edge and needed to be re-stuck with double sided tape.

We had three days of continuous torrential downpour last week (after two months of bushfires) here in the Blue Mountains of Australia. We had 0ver 400mm in 3 days which was almost the total rainfall for the whole of 2019. The panoramic room gutter drains couldn't keep up with the flow so the gutter filled up and leaked into the roof liner, and into the front footwells.

Also, Skoda has also put some nice square holes just ahead of the rubber seal so if the gutter does fill up, it will drain through the square holes into your roof lining. Thank you Skoda. I placed some tape over the 5 square holes, ready for next time.... 

20200215_142535.jpg

Inked20200215_144202_LI.jpg

Sorry, can't edit the first post, but notice the red dust in the gutter? That was from the dust storms we had last year due to the drought. Then is was bushfires from September to January, and now it's floods. I wish we just had the snakes and spiders to contend with.....

The adage "it never rains but pours" (eventually) must be your mantra!

god - what else can go wrong for you.

I cant see the point in those holes at all, i wonder if the seal was intended to have lugs that pushed through them and was then ..updated-improved (made cheaper)

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
On 15/02/2020 at 15:34, rado99 said:

OK, I know this topic has been done to death, but I had an unusual one. The leak was from the rubber seal at the front corners or the roof. The seal had come away from the sealing edge and needed to be re-stuck with double sided tape.

We had three days of continuous torrential downpour last week (after two months of bushfires) here in the Blue Mountains of Australia. We had 0ver 400mm in 3 days which was almost the total rainfall for the whole of 2019. The panoramic room gutter drains couldn't keep up with the flow so the gutter filled up and leaked into the roof liner, and into the front footwells.

Also, Skoda has also put some nice square holes just ahead of the rubber seal so if the gutter does fill up, it will drain through the square holes into your roof lining. Thank you Skoda. I placed some tape over the 5 square holes, ready for next time.... 

20200215_142535.jpg

Inked20200215_144202_LI.jpg

Hi Rado99, it looks I have same issue, just checking if you were able to fix this with tape and double sided tape?
I was thinking to  put silicone in these spots.

BTW - I am not far from you on CC :)
Cheers,

Ales

Does anyone know exactly where the drains for the Superb Pano roof are?  The manual says they're in the 4 corners and I'm supposed to shove a bowden cable down it once a year to clean it out, but I've not been able to actually find the opening.

@rado99 It's been quite a 2 years, eh.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @DEL80Y

I found them this weekend, after a week of the drivers side footwell being...sloshy.

The Superb 2 (3T ~2013) Combi front drains come down the corners of the plastic sunroof tray and terminate in a rubber grommet in the door frame, in between the top and bottom door hinges.  You don't need to remove the plenum cover like my version of ELSA tells me to (it lies).  I also couldn't get a bowden cable down it from either end, possibly because of the guk in it. As a last resort, I turned the regulator on the compressor wayy down and blew air in from the top and it blew the guk out and worked after that without needing to lower the roof lining at the front.  I suspect I was very lucky I didn't blow the hoses off.

The rear, just dropped the head lining (in the combi it's just velcro'd on), popped the hoses off the nipples at the sunroof tray and blew them out too.  The bottom end is behind the bumper bar and I didn't feel like taking that off so I was lucky that it cleared from the top (one was totally blocked, one was slow).

At the same time I pulled off the front wheel arch liner and cleared the leaves and miscellaneous organic matter out.

So I guess if someone else gets stuck, try a gentle air compressor.  And while the Octavia and Yeti's hoses end up behind the plenum cover, the Superbs ones come down into the door frame.

• Like 1