Which VRS do I buy?

Hi all.

I test drive a PFL 230 this week and was very impressed. Car had too many miles on for me so didn’t buy it.

so I have a few questions, if you could help me out.

A 245 would be ideal, but too much money.

given then option, do I go for a 220, PFL 230 or a FL 230?

Does the diff make a big difference to the car?

What is it supposed to feel like when the diff kicks in... pulled off a roundabout in 2nd and something very mechanical made noise.

Im not actually keen on the 19’s, but would still buy the right car with them on.

I have no real preference on PFL/FL, estate, colour.

I would like a manual.

Some advice would be appreciated.

I have previously owned a mk1 VRS and mk2 TFSI VRS.

both very good cars.

Thanks.

I cant speak highly enough of the pre fl230, bloody lovely car, ive a manual estate in red, i only ever said id get meteor grey but seeing red one in flesh with the black 19s, roofrails and mirrors really set it apart. I did have a pre fl230 hatch with dsg for a while and although the dsg was faultless i prefer manual, the spec on pre fl 230 is so good and imo a much better package than the facelift 230(no diff for starters) the 245 is nice esp early editions with 19s(i really like the 19 extremes) i just prefer the prefl230 because of the leather interior and having young kids it was a must. I feel they drive fine on the 19s and with the right tyres reasonably quiet,  i would look out for privately owned one as most are ex lease cars , you wont regret it

Edited by dsj20v
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends what options you want.

The pfl230 also comes with full leather, which the FL cars don't.

I went for a pfl230 myself for that reason and the diff.

I'm not 100% convinced the 10bhp difference and the diff make any difference at all in day to day driving though.  However the fact that you get the leather and electric heated seats is great.

I don't notice the diff kicking in as such, however I also don't really notice it struggling for grip where other fwd cars possibly would when accelerating around 30mph bends in the wet. It gets on and does it.  But without driving a 220 back to back I would struggle to say what's the diff doing it's job and just the car or traction control.

I was fortunate in that the garage I got the car from had a couple of other vRSs so they could supply my 230 with 18s.  On meteor grey I felt the black xtremes looked out of place and the car looked on stilts.  

Plus the 19s were all kerbed, as most wheels will be when they only have 35 profile tyres.  The 40s on the 18s have that little bit more rim protection.

Didn't drive with 19s long enough to comment on the ride, I didn't notice anything too bad but I suspect it depends on the road quality in your location.  They will get kerbed though and they're diamond cut so refurbs are probably £120 a wheel.  

Where are you located as the garage I got mine from often gets in 230s.

• Thanks 1

Tyre type also helps.

I just figured that with all 4 wheels with some damage and many reports of the same on here they were clearly more vulnerable.  My car is a daily drive that I load my kids around in and may often park with screaming kids in the back, the chances are I'll end up clipping a kerb at some point when I rush.

TBH if they were the same style as the Geminis I'd have probably put up with it but as I wasn't keen on the design it made sense to kill 3 birds with one stone.

Just now, orangewinger said:

The diff makes no noise at all. I most notice it on a damp tight turn where you can feel the front end start to go wide and then suddenly ticks in again.

I find it very subtle then.  

On my Honda I have a traditional mechanical LSD and that noticeably kicks in to the point it can take you by surprise and you need to lift off. Makes the kid inside me giggle when it does it for some reason.

In comparison the Skoda just seems to grip without a on/off feel.    To me anyway.  But I don't drive it as hard tbh.

25 minutes ago, Alex-W said:

I find it very subtle then.  

On my Honda I have a traditional mechanical LSD and that noticeably kicks in to the point it can take you by surprise and you need to lift off. Makes the kid inside me giggle when it does it for some reason.

In comparison the Skoda just seems to grip without a on/off feel.    To me anyway.  But I don't drive it as hard tbh.

You need to reset the diff if you can't feel it, had mine reset by a mate with VCDS, best experienced being super aggressive through corners, ones with high grip surfaces on NSL roads are great for this. The car literally pulls you to the apex so much so, that it does require a little practice but, that's all part of the fun.

Thanks for the replies.

Are there many issues with the diff?

Can it handle a remap?

I am in Middlesbrough.

Ive seen a PFL 230 estate not too far away.

Also seen a 245 in Grimsby but it’s only up for 16500 so seems a little cheap.

Definitely my kind of car.
Anyonegot any thoughts on the Leon Cupra estate?

I came from a brand new cupra black edition 290st  to my prefl230 and the cupra was great, quick, comfy and handled brilliantly and drove really well on the 19s as it had the dynamic chassis control as standard, i never had any issues with rattles just severe axle tramp,  however jumping into the octavia it did feel like a step up in quality, the dash, the full leather is so much better than half fake leather buckets in cupra, both cars are superb , if only vrs had dynamic chassis control and is38 turbo then it would be perfect 

Edited by dsj20v

On 20/02/2020 at 20:13, chris.100 said:

Mine was only a 50 mile trip, wasn’t even any photos on Škoda used website, wasn’t on auto trader.

How I bought mine rang about one was sold said they had one coming in part ex. I got the pre clean pics with the previous owners plate on it and a walk around video. Bought blind and had it sent to me 400 miles on a trailer.

Bought on spec rather than model. I drove both pfl 230 and 220, went with 220 due to spec.

Enjoy 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dsj20v said:

What did the 220 spec over prefl230

Winter pack, Canton, Columbus and the 18's which I prefer personally. Against folding mirrors, smart link and the diff.

Was always going to use the heated screen more than folding mirrors. The diff, well would I really use the potential on the road, nothing some decent tyres and careful planning whilst driving to close the diff/non diff gap in the real world. Smartlink would be nice but weighed up against the price difference and lack of winter pack.

220 also had less milage by 9k and was 2.5k cheaper 15 vs 16 plate. 

I searched for 8 months finding the right car and it got to a point where I'd found as good as I thought I could get for budget. And the 220 dealer offered me an extra £300 in part ex for mine.  

On 20/02/2020 at 20:13, chris.100 said:

Mine was only a 50 mile trip, wasn’t even any photos on Škoda used website, wasn’t on auto trader.

Wow, you put a deposit down on a car without seeing any pictures of it, let alone seeing it in the flesh!?

I appreciate deposits are refundable if the car isn't as described, but still, I think I'd go take a look at it first.