extreme oil use

lindahath

1 hour ago, lindahath said:

my 9 year old automatic dsg yeti has always used a litre of oil every 1000 miles, can anyone match that?

Our old Daihatsu Sportrak used to do 500 miles from full to low on the dipstick, never changed the oil in the 6 years we had it, did however change the filter occasionally. ;)

You could also stick your fingers through the front wing (when the gaffa tape fell off) but as that wasn't part of the structure it passed the MOT ;)

@lindahath

What is the story then, how long have you had this Yeti and is this how it has always been?

Are you aware of the issue with the timing tensioners / chains and the upgraded ones?

Not that this will be the reason for your engines oil use, that is likely rings and the bore or bore wash.

5w 40 FS oil to VW502 00 might reduce oil useage slightly,

but if you are already using that rather than 5w 30 FS III then you just need to keep on filling it with oil.

54 minutes ago, lindahath said:

I'd be interested to know what the service history was in all the years you've owned it.
I know it is a different engine, but my last 2lt diesel wasn't using any oil when I sold it at 110k+ miles.

We have had the car for 5 years, bought from a skoda dealer. we had some immediate problems, air conditioning faulty, then the oil saga, after two visits to the garage they decided that my usage of oil was exceptable.

A few months after that the car went in to limp mode and immediately diagnosed as needing complete mechatronics replacement which cost more than £2000. We was not happy at all and took the matter up with customer services, who thought a free service would be adequate compensation. We have had many problems with this car since, absolutely the worst car we have ever had.

@lindahath How did they decide the oil use was acceptable?

Was there Official Oil Consumption tests and they showed the car used less than 0.5 litres in 1,000 km / 621 miles?

Did you pay for the tests and did you get a copy of the results. Weight of oil added, weight after test. New Oil & Filters added at the start of tests.

0.5 litres in 1,000 miles in a run in car is not acceptable actually as Skoda / VW / SEAT / Audi know.

This is an example of an Invoice / bill for an official consumption test.

There is a major error on this one as the Technician seems to not know the correct weight of a litre of engine oil which is not 1,000 grams.

This owner did get a new engine.

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Not sure where you got the 1 litre weight from?  Just did a quick calc using 0.86 density and it came out about the same as they have stated in terms of consumption.

Even so, the stated “acceptable” oil consumption limits of OEMs are only acceptable to them - they are way higher than what a reasonable person would expect.

• 6 months later...

Am about (well almost) to get a 2017 1.2l TSI, manual, but the reports of high oil consumption is bugging me - a lot - 

It's mentioned on several of the car review websites re the Yeti - but not clear to me whether the oil issues relate to the diesels or petrol..,

Have tried to do a bit more research and the issue of timing belts/tensioner pulleys also feature re the 1.2 TSI - but again not clear as to what date/engine build these refer to.

It's making me very nervous - any comments welcome.

My 2015 1.2 TSi (DSG) uses no oil between services...it has the older, timing chain engine.  I have not heard that the later (timing belt) engine uses any oil either.  I seem to remember that the 1.8 petrol engines were notorious for gulping oil,  so maybe that is what you heard, too.

@stonyb1

The engines with issues were Euro 5 emissions ones.

Oil issues, 1.4 TSI 132 kW Twinchargers 2010-2012, then some till 2014.

& 1.8 & 2.0 TSI's. 

The 1.2 issue was timing chain tensioners to late 2011.

@weasley   I just spotted your post.

A litre of engine oil weighs 856 grams, and that is the weight Skoda accepts it weighs at 15*oC so used for Official Oil Consumption tests..

post-86161-0-54740300-1365682049.jpg

post-86161-0-49942900-1365682152.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot