Looking for my next car - a VRS

This may just be this particular dealers approach to selling their used car inventory, the lowest prices, but very little prep done on the car, what you see is what you get.

Factor in some minor cosmetic fixes at your expense, new wheel bolts, employing a smart detailer to polish out the interior scratches together with a full professional exterior detail.

Add those costs to the screen price, and use this to compare with other, perhaps better prepped Octavia's out there?

Well Fords of Winsford are useless. Ring them up and they know all about the car and can tell me anything. 

great - what’s the condition?

well I haven’t seen the car in person but it will be good. We also paint cars so any damage we can cover up 

so can I have a walk around video? To check it all?

i don’t think we have our camera any more. I might be able to send you some photos next week?

ok, well I think I will leave it for now!! 

If I was a buyer I would be holding off for a month or two..

I understand WBAC have now drastically reduced their offer values on cars due to anticipation of a national recession with the Corona virus.

Obviously dealers will still try to shift their existing stock at current price but the new lower values will work their way into the system in due course.

A good tip is on the cars you are looking at in a retail situation,go look up the WBAC value,the difference may come as a shock!!

6 minutes ago, sheriffwoody said:

Well Fords of Winsford are useless. Ring them up and they know all about the car and can tell me anything. 

great - what’s the condition?

well I haven’t seen the car in person but it will be good. We also paint cars so any damage we can cover up 

so can I have a walk around video? To check it all?

i don’t think we have our camera any more. I might be able to send you some photos next week?

ok, well I think I will leave it for now!! 

Perhaps it’s due to the current situation or probably they don’t think it’s a serious enquiry. I have had similar seemingly disinterested sales people, even though I don’t mess about. If I contact a seller, it’s because I’ve already done my homework and am seriously considering a deal and almost always follow through. In complete contrast, recently Marshall Skoda in Milton Keynes were the opposite.  Rang at 3pm and laid out my position. They called back by 4pm and I politely rejected the 1st PX offer. Got a fairer and much improved offer by 5pm, provisional deal agreed and video by 6pm. Picked up my L&K 2 days later. Really good stress-free experience. Good luck with the search, it will be worth it for the right car. 

found another 2017 245 version, up at the same dealer in Scotland as i found the previous 230 model for.  Same colour and similar miles to the one in Swansea, but it does have a reversing camera.  Although the Scottish car doesn't have electronic front seats which is a bit of a pain as i really fancied them.  The new car in Scotland is also about £1,250 more than the Swansea one, so just waiting to see what their "best" price is, the PCP figures and waiting for a walk around video to get a better idea of the condition.  They have alread said they won't come down anywhere near the Swansea garage's price.

https://westendgarage-group.usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/octavia/vrs-hatch-2017-20-tsi-vrs-245-dsg-gjb9x9j

42 minutes ago, sheriffwoody said:

found another 2017 245 version, up at the same dealer in Scotland as i found the previous 230 model for.  Same colour and similar miles to the one in Swansea, but it does have a reversing camera.  Although the Scottish car doesn't have electronic front seats which is a bit of a pain as i really fancied them.  The new car in Scotland is also about £1,250 more than the Swansea one, so just waiting to see what their "best" price is, the PCP figures and waiting for a walk around video to get a better idea of the condition.  They have alread said they won't come down anywhere near the Swansea garage's price.

https://westendgarage-group.usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/octavia/vrs-hatch-2017-20-tsi-vrs-245-dsg-gjb9x9j

It does have electric front heated seats if you look at the specification list. Also got to be one of the lowest mileage 245 in the country based on it September 2017 registration so price seems fair probably get another £250 off listed price at least.

I spoke to them on the phone and lady confirmed it just has manual seats. Bit annoying as I liked that feature. 

they have taken it down to £17,775 for me. So £1k more than Swansea. 

So will see what the video brings up and the condition of the paint etc 

• Like 1

When they do the video ask them to show you the base of both front seats because I suspect she doesn't know what she is talking about unless the car has been imported from some other European country because an early car like this (mine was registered in August 2017) should be fitted with them.;)

• Like 1

just had a video through of inside and outside, and whilst the car is dusty/dirty, it does look "clean" - until the video got to the bonnet and there appears to be several areas of paint damage/peeling.  It is hard to make out exactly what it is, so i am waiting for a phone call back.  I am hoping i am just seeing things as the lady said its in great condition - but if the bonnet is as bad as i fear then it would need a respray!!

@sheriffwoody

Do you need a car right now?

Maybe best wait if you can.   

There are going to be people ill, dying, losing jobs and companies closing, sad as that is there will be bargains appearing in used cars and dealers desperate to shift stock eventually and more desperate than many are right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@sheriffwoody

Do you need a car right now?

Maybe best wait if you can.   

There are going to be people ill, dying, losing jobs and companies closing, sad as that is there will be bargains appearing in used cars and dealers desperate to shift stock eventually and more desperate than many are right now.

Exactly,see my earlier post.

The equivalent car will be £2/3k cheaper in 2/3 months from now.

25 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Or, the factory shutdowns and lack of new car imports may well push up the price of used cars...

I expect this to happen.

5 hours ago, sheriffwoody said:

just had a video through of inside and outside, and whilst the car is dusty/dirty, it does look "clean"

PM'd you. Garages in that area closing on Wed but after BJ's announcement tonight... 

Look on the bright side, it will still be there in 3 weeks time and you can always negotiate on price as it'll have depreciated an extra month. :D

I doubt car prices will increase. I can see this lockdown and other stingent measures being here for well into the year. Buying a new or used car will not be first on peoplea lists this year. Also given we might head into a recession, there wont be a lot of money around to buy luxuries such as cars.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...