What milage should a cam belt be changed on a VRS Diesel

The guidance varies from 5 years and 140,000 miles when they were first introduced to 5 years and 70,000 miles which is the updated guidance. If it snapped before 60,000 and you were in warranty I’d expect you would have the bill covered as the warranty is 3 years or 60k whichever comes first, anything between 60 and 70 I would push for it to be done at no cost to you but they may push back. You may have a fight on your hands if snaps beyond 70k

From what I have seen in other markets, 5 years is quite conservative.  I'm sure there was someone saying 200,000km and no time limit.  I'd still stick to the 5 years 70,000 if at all doable.  I do 15,000miles a year so just fall into the 70k brackets... ish.

Chances are is that the belt will be perfectly fine for many many miles over the 70,000 miles. However the water pump is another issue. I would just get it done and insist they use the genuine Skoda parts. Others I know have used third party water pumps and they have failed after a year.

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

..... before 60,000 and you were in warranty I’d expect you would have the bill covered as the warranty is 3 years or 60k whichever comes first.....

Skoda: 'I'm sorry to hear it snapped at 59,998 miles Ms G, but we'd call that fair wear and tear... they all do that, although it's the first time we've seen this happen.  Do you use the stop-start, ah, yes, that'll be it. Y'see every time the stop-start activates it stretches the belt just that little bit more, causing them to eventually snap earlier than expected.  It's why there's a button to deactivate the S/S, so the customer can prevent this from happening; as you chose not to use this option, I'm afraid that's down to you, it's all in the T&C's.  Oh, sorry, I misunderstood, you did deactivate the S/S; well that'll be why then - by not using the S/S the belt has covered that many more rotations, I'm afraid you've worn it out - there's a Technical Service Bulletin that covers excessive use of the cam belt.  We also note you have an infotainment system that wasn't designed for the car and paint on your alloy wheels which may not be an approved item - the additional 0.012g weight will also be causative in putting the engine and its belt under additional load.  So be a good little customer and move along; this is not the warranty item you're looking for'. 

😁

• Haha 4

Also VW Finance would not cover it if it did snap. When you sign for the vehicle you agree to keep the vehicle serviced at the regular schedules, insure it etc and not to modify it without their express permission. Also a few other things but these are the most important. 

I have just had a quote from a local firm who use genuine Skoda parts of £385 for a tining belt, watrmer pump change. So not too bad a price at all.

3 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

Chances are is that the belt will be perfectly fine for many many miles over the 70,000 miles. However the water pump is another issue. I would just get it done and insist they use the genuine Skoda parts. Others I know have used third party water pumps and they have failed after a year.

I did mine at 92k as I couldn’t risk it anymore. When mine was done the belt was in good nick and all of the water pumps were working fine with no issues which is quite unusual for an early EA288 at 92k miles on original parts but yeah, they usually start leaking before the belt is due anyway...

1 hour ago, IamGaz said:

Skoda: 'I'm sorry to hear it snapped at 59,998 miles Ms G, but we'd call that fair wear and tear... they all do that, although it's the first time we've seen this happen.  Do you use the stop-start, ah, yes, that'll be it. Y'see every time the stop-start activates it stretches the belt just that little bit more, causing them to eventually snap earlier than expected.  It's why there's a button to deactivate the S/S, so the customer can prevent this from happening; as you chose not to use this option, I'm afraid that's down to you, it's all in the T&C's.  Oh, sorry, I misunderstood, you did deactivate the S/S; well that'll be why then - by not using the S/S the belt has covered that many more rotations, I'm afraid you've worn it out - there's a Technical Service Bulletin that covers excessive use of the cam belt.  We also note you have an infotainment system that wasn't designed for the car and paint on your alloy wheels which may not be an approved item - the additional 0.012g weight will also be causative in putting the engine and its belt under additional load.  So be a good little customer and move along; this is not the warranty item you're looking for'. 

😁

I can so see Skoda CS trying this on, they are a nightmare! When I take my car back to the dealer there is always more new stuff and if I don’t see the tech I usually see it usually goes like this

Me: oh yeah, the radio is unplugged so you don’t need to worry about that, I’ve added all these new parts since last time, VC has more features now and Aston Martin brakes etc etc...

Skoda: w a i t ,  t h a t ‘ s  i l l e g a l .

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Vallumlj said:

Hi What milage should my Vrs Diesel has its cam belt changed and also if it broke before is it covered by Vw finance as the car is lease by them?

Even if the car is leased it doesn't alter the fact it needs maintaining according to the manufacturers guidelines.

Has the car been serviced on time?

All MkIII Octavia's including the vRS are 5 years.

The only way to get the mileage confirmed is contact Skoda UK directly... https://www.skoda.co.uk/discover/contact-us quoting your VIN (through the windscreen under the passenger side wiper blade).

Most VW Finance lease deals are 2-3 years with a mileage  limit under the 60,000 mile manufacturer warranty limit, so if it does fail, the car has been serviced correctly, it hasn't been modified, you haven't entered any race events and have responded to any recall requests you would be able to claim under warranty...

https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/sitesengb/alv1/681e0567-9e39-4078-88de-df61013683c7/SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2018.59c8de521ff537083074db669bd4a47d.pdf

image.png.01f6205886ae49c7e644c767df838b83.png

• Like 2

Those buying a 'Skoda Approved Used Car', or a VW, SEAT or Audi Approved used car with FMDSH / Full Main Dealer Service History and a 12 month warranty 

might wrongly assume the vehicles has been Serviced to the Manufacturers Guidelines.

That would be a mistake, as even on a Service Plan a Main Dealership might not service according to the Manufacturers Guidelines unless the Keeper / Owner is paying extra to have extras done.

• Like 1

Sign in to Erwinskoda and pay for 1 hour to download service requirements for your vehicle. Dealers love to change timing belts, easy to do, takes a bit of time and very lucrative. I inspected my 1.4 tsi Octavia a few months ago when just over 100000 kms. Was as new and the requirement for this belt is first inspection at 240000 kms thereafter 30000 kms. Follow Skoda, not dealer recommended in my opinion. My car is over 5 years old now at 104000 kms and has been faultless.

regards

Roger