New owner and some basic questions

Hi everyone, I finally managed to get myself the car I wanted. It's a 2015 Laurin & Klement estate, with the panoramic roof, tan interior (rather than the normal dark L&K leather) and a TV (which actually works really well but I've yet to figure out when I'll actually use it!!). The colour says beige but it seems to be grey to my eyes!

I'm looking forward to many miles up and down the motorway, but first I have some questions;

1. Replacement keys. It only came with one, I need to get a spare. Does anyone know of a place that can do them, preferably in the Midlands? Obviously the dealer is a good second option, but I'd prefer to keep the price down if possible.

2. TV input. I found the TV unit in the boot but not gone exploring anywhere behind the dash or anything. I can see the option in the menu but it's greyed out. What is the process for getting the connections and the relevant menu option activated?

3. Phone holder. My old car has plenty of surface area for a phone holder, this one not so much. I was going to 3d print something to slot  in the cup holder and hold the phone steady, but are there any suggestions on something a bit more 'heads up'?

4. Camera install. I've had a camera for the last few years so that will be going in here too, it usually goes near the rear view mirror. Anyone done the same and have some tips for me?

1 hour ago, Slimy said:

3. Phone holder. My old car has plenty of surface area for a phone holder, this one not so much. I was going to 3d print something to slot  in the cup holder and hold the phone steady, but are there any suggestions on something a bit more 'heads up'?

I use these type as it holds the phone a height that you ca still see the columbas screen

On point 2 about TV what do you actually want to do?

Point 4
I now use these mirror cameras that are front and rear dashcams that also doubles up as reversing camera when put into reverse👍very good quality for £30
I also use a fitting kit which keeps power to unit at all times and only cuts off when power is to low to start car so can be used for parking incidents

Loads of posts on how to wire them up on here

1 hour ago, chimaera said:

What do you actually need the phone holder for? Your car has Bluetooth hands free and sat nav built in.

Main thing is actually google maps, but for traffic details rather than direction. Although admittedly I've not looked at the built in sat nav traffic capability for traffic updates. I'm also used to having music on my phone to play through bluetooth, but I think that will be covered by the SD card. By the looks of it the SD card interaction would make it easier to navigate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEL80Y said:

I use these type as it holds the phone a height that you ca still see the columbas screen

On point 2 about TV what do you actually want to do?

Point 4
I now use these mirror cameras that are front and rear dashcams that also doubles up as reversing camera when put into reverse👍very good quality for £30
I also use a fitting kit which keeps power to unit at all times and only cuts off when power is to low to start car so can be used for parking incidents

Loads of posts on how to wire them up on here

Thanks for the phone holder recommendation, I take it you've not had any mechanical issues iwth a CD mount, IE damage to the fascia?

For the TV I was just wondering whether I could use a different AV source to display on screen. I've no idea why to be honest, just 'new toy' mania I guess! 

I'll have a look at previous posts for the cameras, it's mainly about the wire routing so hopefully there will be something useful.

Re:- replacement keys, I used this company https://3dautokeys.co.uk/locations/nottingham?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpLfzBRCRARIsAHuj6qWqkB0qVK4Qt0cEi_WpZzbT3iHNXfox3jlad36CdV8-kP6yp9x0N0caAtQvEALw_wcB They

operate within a 50 mile radius of Nottingham. I was satisfied with the service. 

Drefaldwyn 

8 minutes ago, Slimy said:

Main thing is actually google maps, but for traffic details rather than direction. Although admittedly I've not looked at the built in sat nav traffic capability for traffic updates. I'm also used to having music on my phone to play through bluetooth, but I think that will be covered by the SD card. By the looks of it the SD card interaction would make it easier to navigate.

I'm fairly sure the Columbus can control Bluetooth audio sources; it can definitely stream audio over BT. I'd suggest a good read of the manual and spend time playing with settings before buying more stuff.

As for dash cam wiring, you can hook it in under the headlining at the top of the windscreen quite easily. From there though you need to be careful as the side curtain airbag runs about halfway down the A-pillar. The best thing to do is pop off the A-pillar trim and feed the wire through behind the airbag. If you want to do a hard wired setup, I'd suggest getting one with a battery monitor that has an adjustable cutoff. In the Superb you'll have trouble starting it if the battery goes below 12.4 V, and it will shorten the battery's life too if it's constantly being drained too low.

We are in Leicester and I used Morgans Locksmith for a spare for a Fabia. I did by the blank though and they cloned the immobilizer chip.

I put a RVC high into my car and a couple of write ups are on the forum and internet. This requires some dismantling and coding.

1 hour ago, chimaera said:

I'm fairly sure the Columbus can control Bluetooth audio sources; it can definitely stream audio over BT. I'd suggest a good read of the manual and spend time playing with settings before buying more stuff.

As for dash cam wiring, you can hook it in under the headlining at the top of the windscreen quite easily. From there though you need to be careful as the side curtain airbag runs about halfway down the A-pillar. The best thing to do is pop off the A-pillar trim and feed the wire through behind the airbag. If you want to do a hard wired setup, I'd suggest getting one with a battery monitor that has an adjustable cutoff. In the Superb you'll have trouble starting it if the battery goes below 12.4 V, and it will shorten the battery's life too if it's constantly being drained too low.

Yep, found the headlining gaps and the airbag curtain. I've also found that the Superb is quite a bit bigger than my old car, the wire doesn't quite reach!! I've had to move the camera a bit to the left in order for it to get all the way round. 

Thanks for the warning about the battery, I've just fond the cigarette lighter is a permanent live. Under other circumstances I can imagine that being quite useful, but I'm going to have to think of something else for feeding the camera. And it also made me realise I don't even know where the fusebox is!! I think you're right, the manual is the first place I need to go...

1 hour ago, drefaldwyn said:

Re:- replacement keys, I used this company https://3dautokeys.co.uk/locations/nottingham?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpLfzBRCRARIsAHuj6qWqkB0qVK4Qt0cEi_WpZzbT3iHNXfox3jlad36CdV8-kP6yp9x0N0caAtQvEALw_wcB They

operate within a 50 mile radius of Nottingham. I was satisfied with the service. 

Drefaldwyn 

Excellent, looks like they're 40 miles away from my work. That'll work perfectly. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

2 hours ago, Slimy said:

Excellent, looks like they're 40 miles away from my work. That'll work perfectly. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, can't recall - it was over 4 years ago. 

Drefaldwyn 

3 hours ago, Slimy said:

Yep, found the headlining gaps and the airbag curtain. I've also found that the Superb is quite a bit bigger than my old car, the wire doesn't quite reach!! I've had to move the camera a bit to the left in order for it to get all the way round. 

Thanks for the warning about the battery, I've just fond the cigarette lighter is a permanent live. Under other circumstances I can imagine that being quite useful, but I'm going to have to think of something else for feeding the camera. And it also made me realise I don't even know where the fusebox is!! I think you're right, the manual is the first place I need to go...

Fuse panel is at the end of the dashboard on the driver's side. This is where I've set up the hardwiring kit on mine and hidden all the connectors.

1 hour ago, drefaldwyn said:

Sorry, can't recall - it was over 4 years ago. 

Drefaldwyn 

No problem, they called me back an hour after I'd sent a request £130 for a replacement three button fob and they can  come to my work on Wednesday so great recommendation there, thank you.

7 minutes ago, Slimy said:

No problem, they called me back an hour after I'd sent a request £130 for a replacement three button fob and they can  come to my work on Wednesday so great recommendation there, thank you.

Glad to help. 

Drefaldwyn