LED Bulb replacement

apmaman

Hi.

Looking to replace the rear reverse, indicator fogs for LED replacements. Either phillips or osram. 

Does the 2016 yeti throw up canbus light outs when using LEDs? 

Does anyone have a repuitable supplier of led bulbs? Autobeam have been great as well as powerbulbs but i have not used powerbulbs m series leds before....

If it has CanBus then it will throw up errors for all exterior bulbs if I am not mistaken, unless the bulbs are 'CanBus friendly'.

1 hour ago, Tilt said:

If it has CanBus then it will throw up errors for all exterior bulbs if I am not mistaken, unless the bulbs are 'CanBus friendly'.

And I think you'll find most so called "CanBus" friendly bulbs will throw up errors.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

common guys..CAN bus have nothing with our bulbs..can bus Controler Area Network..is protocol/language for comunication between car electronic module..it two twisted wires from every freakin modul in car..great invention realy..so many ****s hapen on car related to can faults..

central board electronic plate measure how much curent you bulb take from source ..for 21W curent corect value is 1.7A  trust me there is no LED with so high consumption..and module will pull up eror flag for that lamp..

when chines say CANBUS friendly they mean they already soldere some small SMD resistor in paralel with LED lamp inside so LED surge 0.7 and resistor surge 1 A and youl be fine..for some time ofcourse this thiny smd resistor will overheat and burn..as chines led will too,IF you are lucky headlamp will be fine...

for some small bulbs like tail plate you can put LEDs and code electronic module to not look at curent consumption..

IF you decide to put LED in every place yes you can..but dont expect chines will have ready made solution..you will need some patience,soldering tool..heavypower resistors in Al housing..

easy to decide

21W is 1.7A

15 W is 1.25 A

10 W is 0.8 A

5 W is 0.41 A

now remove original bulb check watage see at this table how many Amp. needed now check youre LED for this purpose 15 W  need 1.2  so IF youre LED surge only 0.4A you need to burn somewhere at least 0.6 or error lamp will be on..use wire wound resistor about 20W in Aluminium casting with resistance 20 ohm..that res. conect in paralel with youre led bulb..it is much beter solution with resistor outside headlight then canbus friendly****..

use OHMLAW calculator for any calculation and youl be fine..my yeti is with bixenon and full led everywhere..

element wich will burn but smd resistors..for you its same...dead bulb

canbus.... my ass

regards !

• Like 1

Autobulbs direct offer their own (re)branded LED's.  I've had a fair few of them in the past, ranging from the wedge type interior LED's to their H8 LED fogs.  No issues whatsoever.   The fogs and reverse LED's in my Superb at the mo are from ABD and they've been in use for 3.5 years with no issues/failures;  'plug and play'. 

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Autobulbs direct offer their own (re)branded LED's.  I've had a fair few of them in the past, ranging from the wedge type interior LED's to their H8 LED fogs.  No issues whatsoever.   The fogs and reverse LED's in my Superb at the mo are from ABD and they've been in use for 3.5 years with no issues/failures;  'plug and play'. 

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

of course you can repair chinese bulbs if you know what you doing..all my text is about ordinay lamps from flebay and most eu sellers sell same **** in diferent boxes..but you can make them right..look in calculation and will be easy..

guys that corona/covid killing me I dont work in my workshop soo search on froums who need some explanation and try to help...never heard about autobulbsdirect ..maybe folks repair chines led why not..

interior lamps mostly dont have any curent measurment so youl be fine with any of them,only few cars dont know how to turn OFF interior lamp IF you change them to LED..because LED power surge is so litle chip dont turn them off completly there is always few mA and LED is on 10-15% on all time..you can solder any resistor in range 470-680 ohm in paralel on bulb ynd youl be fine

12 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Does he? Don't understand a word of it.

why my BAD ENGLISH or to tehnical ?

IF its bad english sory iam from Croatia and english is not my primary..live in small country so I need to know few words of english few of german,italian,,and ****y french make me crazy...

IF its tehnical...you need more to learn or buy some ready made like mr.Penguin say autobulbs...never see them but you are on diferent market...

Stjepan:  Your English may be "interesting",  but I bet its a hell of a lot better than LLani's Croatian!  I was able to work out what you were saying,  and am grateful for your valuable contribution to the forum... long may it continue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zarniwoop said:

Stjepan:  Your English may be "interesting",  but I bet its a hell of a lot better than LLani's Croatian!  I was able to work out what you were saying,  and am grateful for your valuable contribution to the forum... long may it continue.

Ok will try to type slower😀..anyway for problems like this with bulbs and simple devices you can find App like OHM LAW CALCULATOR and just fill fields what you know then sw.will calculate all other values..simple as that..

Iam glad to help..this corona/covid make me crazy at home without customers problems..so I try here to stay in touch with my brain...

regards!

I understood completely Stjepan, keep on posting, I learned a lot from your aircon discussion.

16 hours ago, Stjepan said:

why my BAD ENGLISH or to tehnical ?

IF its bad english sory iam from Croatia and english is not my primary..live in small country so I need to know few words of english few of german,italian,,and ****y french make me crazy...

IF its tehnical...you need more to learn or buy some ready made like mr.Penguin say autobulbs...never see them but you are on diferent market...

Your English was understandable, it was the technical bits I didn't understand.

4 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Your English was understandable, it was the technical bits I didn't understand.

OK Iam glad that you folks from english native can understand my Tarzan eng....

short version of electric on cars...

Voltage is always close to 12-14V..so we can say 12V  curent we measure in Amps..IF we have 12 V and 2Amp then our POWER  is  24 W ....Bulbs on car are standardized..we have 5,10,15,21 Wats bulbs...most leds are only few mA..like 0,10 A..so you need to foul electronic on car that you actualy surge more then this 0,1 or error lamp will shine..example on my Yeti (2012)

Daytime runing lamps are integrated in foglamp..one bulb is for foglamp and another small 15W is daytime..nice looking chines LED with this type of socket ordered as CAN**** story..of course error lamp is ON..measuring curent on LED I discover that surge is 0.4 A,for 15 W (original) curent must be 1.2 Amp..so we have difernce of 0.8 Amp...we need to burn this 0.8 A somehow to foul car electronic  ..again using Ohmlaw calculator we know that voltage is 12 V curent is 0.8 so calculator will say resistance should be 15ohm..now you need to buy one heavy resistor like this one and conect him in paralel to youre lamp...WOW nice job..one side finished..same on the other side of car...this principle use on every lamp what you want....also calculator will say how much power is disipated, in this example its about 9.5 W..so I select at least 10W or beter 20W resistor...why double ? this resistor will heat, so IF you select biger one he will be fisicaly biger ans easyer to disipate all heat coming from inside..its easy to mount in anywhere..

for me this is much beter solution then LED with integrated resistor inside led bulbs..resistors must burn curent so they will heat a lot..most solder will melt on 220-250 C so youre lamp will be alive untill all solder fell of..and stay in youre headlamp...this Aluminium resistor are bolted on chasis near headlight so who care let them heat outside air..

completly diferent story is electronic driver for LED lamps..but this Bulbs will have at least 3 wire..so you will find them on high end cars..not on our skodilacs

IF still something not clear be free to ask we all learn in this proces

images.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stjepan said:

OK Iam glad that you folks from english native can understand my Tarzan eng....

short version of electric on cars...

Voltage is always close to 12-14V..so we can say 12V  curent we measure in Amps..IF we have 12 V and 2Amp then our POWER  is  24 W ....Bulbs on car are standardized..we have 5,10,15,21 Wats bulbs...most leds are only few mA..like 0,10 A..so you need to foul electronic on car that you actualy surge more then this 0,1 or error lamp will shine..example on my Yeti (2012)

Daytime runing lamps are integrated in foglamp..one bulb is for foglamp and another small 15W is daytime..nice looking chines LED with this type of socket ordered as CAN**** story..of course error lamp is ON..measuring curent on LED I discover that surge is 0.4 A,for 15 W (original) curent must be 1.2 Amp..so we have difernce of 0.8 Amp...we need to burn this 0.8 A somehow to foul car electronic  ..again using Ohmlaw calculator we know that voltage is 12 V curent is 0.8 so calculator will say resistance should be 15ohm..now you need to buy one heavy resistor like this one and conect him in paralel to youre lamp...WOW nice job..one side finished..same on the other side of car...this principle use on every lamp what you want....also calculator will say how much power is disipated, in this example its about 9.5 W..so I select at least 10W or beter 20W resistor...why double ? this resistor will heat, so IF you select biger one he will be fisicaly biger ans easyer to disipate all heat coming from inside..its easy to mount in anywhere..

for me this is much beter solution then LED with integrated resistor inside led bulbs..resistors must burn curent so they will heat a lot..most solder will melt on 220-250 C so youre lamp will be alive untill all solder fell of..and stay in youre headlamp...this Aluminium resistor are bolted on chasis near headlight so who care let them heat outside air..

completly diferent story is electronic driver for LED lamps..but this Bulbs will have at least 3 wire..so you will find them on high end cars..not on our skodilacs

IF still something not clear be free to ask we all learn in this proces

images.jpg

Fantastic information 👌