How do I get to my wiper motor and linkage

My Octavia wipers have developed an anoying squeak on the sweep of the wipers. Its not blade related as it still does it when I lift the blades off the screen. How do I remove the plastic cover at the bottom of the windscreen where the spindles poke through? I did try but didn't want to pull too hard in case I broke a fixing. I just about managed to lift it enough to squirt some WD40 on the linkage pivot points but this didn't make any difference so a more thorough investigation is required

I tried to do this on my mine, struggled and gave up! However someone posted a picture a while back (attached). Ignore the red arrows, and instead look at the square cut outs (circled in green). I believe that scuttle cover clips into these, so try sticking a nice flat leaver into the gap (double green arrow) and apply some force.

However it has been mentioned the covers are brittle :-(

On my 2001 Octy, the o-rings had failed, and the splines were virtually totally seized. I used an sds hammer drill to push the spindles down, and then pulled them back up with some oversized nuts that went over the splines. Several hours of hard work later they were free. I did all mine with the cover still in place, but it made life much harder!

8852.attach

Mine got slower and slower... and then stopped working evening on my way back home. Well when I say stopped working, they gave up halfway up the screen, thinking that was the home/resting position!

The procedure for removing the (plastic) scuttle panels (left and right) is to first remove the rubber sealing strip from the top of the bulkhead, ie at the front of the panel when viewed from the front of the car. Next, remove the retaining screws and remove the pollen filter cover from the passenger side of the scuttle panel. (I don't think this applies to the Octavia). This frees the scuttle panels to be unclipped from the base of the windscreen after first freeing the ends from behind the windscreen pillar panels. The plastic is brittle and prone to cracking. Warming gently with a hairdryer makes it less prone to break.

Yep, as DGW said, the pollen filter doesnt play a part in the removal. However be carefull if using a screwdriver to prise things from the windscreen side. If you catch the screen and take even the smallest of nicks out of the glass it will either crack straight away or develop a crack over time. The reason is the stress on the glass at the edges.

When I went to dealer with a wiper problem they replaced my wiper motor and linkage with an uprated part saying that there was a problem with the original and that they eventually all die. (Was a relay in the end though)

I have no idea on a part number I'm affraid.

I just changed the linkage on my Octy. It is a really easy DIY job once you know the right moves. Here is how to:

1. Remove wiper arms.

Pop off plastic caps with a screw driver and undo the retaining nuts. Then wiggle wiper arms off. Can be trikcy if they are corroded. WD-40 and time helps.

2. Remove scuttle panel.

Prop bonnet half way up. This way you get better clearance on the ends of the scuttle panel. The panel is easier to remove starting with the windscreen edge. Just push your thin strong fingers between the rubber seal and the windscreen. Then pull hard in direction normal to the windscreen. The panel pops "upwards". Then you can remove the seal on the fron edge of the scuttle panel. Then you just manouver the wiper side half of the panel off. Be careful with the windscreen washer hose. That one can stay on.

3. Remove wiper linkage. And install a new revised version (part number 1U1955603C for left hand drive, 1U2955603 or 1U2955603A or 1U2955603C for right hand drive) I am not sure if the revision C will fit all the right hand drive models.

Part numbers can be obtained from http://www.vagcat.com

Vesa

• 1 year later...

If you are doing the motor, either clean up or replace the linkage at the same time to save yourself a lot of future effort.

Not sure but from what I've seen just mark the wiper position in fully parked and then do it and make sure everything is aligned back when you are done. Just a guess I'm afraid though.

Make sure that the wipers are parked before removing the motor, note the position of the link relative to the linkage. Make sure the new motor is parked and fit the link in the same relative position on the new motor.

Sunny Sunday so instaleld the motor. Getting the scuttle off was the hardest part (amanged to crack it but not too bad. Put the new motor on and it worked OK apart from a regular clonk. Then I made the mistake of uninstalling it all to see what the clonks was. Bad move coz when I re-installed it, I don't think the motor was in its Park position so when I tested it, the wipers tried to sweep down adn I think I have burn't out my new motor :(

Drilled out the rivets in the old one and cleaned the copper contacts in it and bent them "on" a bit. Drilled out the empty bolt holes and secured it again with self tappers. This time I carefully re-installed and it all works OK - so far.......

At least it didn't rain

:cool: I was just going to say have a go at cleaning the motor contacts as that was my problem and it saves you buying a new motor ! only pull the plastic scuttle up with your fingers !, if you try to prise it up you will crack the screen.

• 10 months later...