best way to get rid of small scratches?

froggy8

Depending how deep the scratch is you may not need to go down the chipex route. 

I corrected this scratch yesterday with a DA polished, medium cut pad and meguiars #105

D29B523F-D6EA-46C9-8513-669B4E9F82D2.jpeg

E53804A2-61E7-4310-8309-D421FF5BCBF3.jpeg

Edited by jars
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

many thanks for that, will look further into it

No worries. 

It’s gotta be said that not all scratches can be removed by this method. Best thing to do is to see if you can feel the scratch when you pull your fingernail over it. If you can feel it then it’s very unlikely you’ll remove it.

You might be able to round off the edges of the scratch so that it’s less apparent at certain angles or light conditions, but it’ll still be there.

If you can feel it with a nail then the only options are chipex or a body shop, if you want it completely gone. 

the scratches are only minimal, i have tried the finger nail technique and it goes over it, couldnt really feel it.

i just thought i would buy the chipex, might be overkill but at least i will know the scratches will go away.

i had to get a second hand car as someone hit mine last year, this was teh best door i could find. so the machine what jars linked should do the trick?

Edited by froggy8

many thanks, been searching for a decent budget one for a while now.

so il get that one from aldi and the ebay link you sent but for compound, im thinking about this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chemical-Guys-VSS-Scratch-and-Swirl-Remover-4oz-One-Step-Hand-or-Machine-Polish/113157424555?epid=2170613039&hash=item1a58b545ab:g:UuoAAOSw3fpcx2pl

It’s not the machine but the pad, polish and technique that’ll do the work, if it’s possible at all. 

I sorted a defect in the lacquer on my rear bumper yesterday, which was kinda like a stain that washing and claying didn’t remove ....

DA7C402F-65E0-42B3-AE1B-716A760594C1.jpeg

Edited by jars