best way to get rid of small scratches?

froggy8

According to the blurb for the polish, yes.

The orange pad is what I used to sort the defect shown on the rear bumper I pictured a moment ago 👍 (tried loads of different brands of pads and the lake country pads  are my personal preference) 

Not sure if you’re aware or not, but difference pads (usually indicated by different colours) have different cutting abilities. Orange for lake country is light cut, whereas the yellow, for example, is for heavy cut. 

Edit - same goes for polish. Some will give light cut, some heavy. Depends on what you’re trying to achieve. 

An all on one like you’ve posted may be enough, but then again, you may find that it doesn’t have enough bite. 

Edited by jars
  • Like 2

thank you, i will order them 2 what i linked later and the polisher machine from aldi.

yeah orange is just what i need. light cut pads as mine are light scratches.

I’ve tried cheapo, non-brand pads and get on with them ok. The only difference I can tell, IME, is the longevity of the pads. You’ll get more use out of a branded pad vs a cheapo version.

Just make sure you understand what colour represents what cut the pad will give you.

• Like 2

What polish is down to personal preference and how the polish works.

Will it do the job of removing the “swirls” in your original pics, yes it will. 

However, I’ve not used that particular compound before so can’t say for sure if it’ll remove the defect in the latest pic you posted. (Pictures can be deceiving!)  

• Like 1

Final through ... don’t skimp on the microfibre towels you intend to remove the polish otherwise it will give you grief!

I used cheapo cloths (thin) once upon a time, which left holograms in the paintwork. Get microfibres that are at least 400gsm and turn regularly to avoid problems 

so after i have polished my car, do i need to get a bucket of warm water and put the microfibre in then wipe my car down?

sorry just that ive never polished a car before, i just assumed all i had to do was get a machine, squirt some meg 50 on my car in a squiggly line then put the machine on then done.

Once I’ve polished the car I simply use my jet washer to clean off the residual polish dust. 

Im terms of not knowing what you’re doing as you’ve never done it before, read this thread....

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

A very lengthy post, but covers pretty much all bases, including different machines, pads and polish 

• Like 1

no problemo.

Nope, stone chips are a different game all together!! These involve slowly and painstaking filling the chips with paint and lacquer (I mixed the two together, but others have filled with paint and then applied lacquer on top) then wet sanding down flat, then polish. 

I had a 2003 red Audi that had over 200 chips on the bonnet alone. Took me over a week to fill, sand and polish the bonnet. Not for the faint hearted! 

• Like 2

wow.....that does sound like serious work but i have long weekend so can do bit of work to the car.

cant really remember how long ive had my car but the scuff on the bottom of the bumper was there before i got the car, about time i try sort it out isnt it?

yeah dont blame you.

i really wanted to get a professional to sort it all out for me but as the circumstances proving impossible, i guess i will have to try do it myself. plus after it has been done, i will be very impressed with my own work :) 

Loads of good advice on this thread and some great examples. The only thing I would add it to go easy and take your time when trying to remove scratches. There are plenty of examples online where people have gone too far and once this has happened the only option is the paint shop!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, durhamfisher said:

Loads of good advice on this thread and some great examples. The only thing I would add it to go easy and take your time when trying to remove scratches. There are plenty of examples online where people have gone too far and once this has happened the only option is the paint shop!

before i start using the polisher, il make sure to watch plenty of yotube vids :) 

3 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

did bit more research and it seems dual action polisher is the one to go for oppose to rotary. 

will have to look again 😞  

That’s true.

Have a look on here for a good selection. 
Be prepared for more confusion though.

• Like 1

problem is i am on a budget so il be getting the medium orange light cut pad, meg 105 then a decent da polisher.

will have a look on that link now, thank you :) 

have just seen this, seems to have everything to get me started, could anyone tell me if this kit would be ok for me?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dodo-Juice-Buff-Daddy-DAS-6-Orbital-Polisher-Meguiars-ultimate-polish-Kit-Offer/112775016111?hash=item1a41ea2eaf:g:5fsAAOSwXkNaaalw