Little lockdown mods?

On 15/04/2020 at 18:51, broona said:

I've ordered the following, and I've got loads of little washers in my toolbox, looking forward to them arriving, 10% off ebay code was nice too :-

2x Febi Bilstein 27709 struts.

2x M8 ball joints with a 10mm ball head.

2x M6 ball joints with a 10mm ball head.

Next step is to check my 80% furlough finances and look into some wind deflectors and sun shades, think I'd rather have removable shades than permanent tint. 👍

Like I and others said...you won't be able stop going out to open it now. 😃

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, christhesparky said:

Rebadged the boot today, replaced the VRS badge with a black one, 

20200420_122856.jpg

Like it, looks much neater, but I'd best not put a VRS badge on mine! 🤣

On 15/04/2020 at 21:34, broona said:

In between me messaging them to make sure they were still operating during the pandemic and receiving a reply, the sale ended, lol! 

I'm in no hurry, I'll follow them now, thanks for the tip. 

15% off again on the shades is back on.

Enjoy

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, NZ100 said:

Hi B, you must have fitted the struts by now? 😁

I've been back to work for a little while now, and had an issue with the fixings getting lost in the post and having to be resent, hopefully next week! ;)

I've just bought a full rear set of blinds from Car Shades,  as I saw the discount on again and also a set for my wife's Citroen.  Really impressed with the fit and minimal impact on visibility (not fitted the split two to rear screen as yet) I'm out and about still for work and I'm sure it's cooler after being parked up too. 

• Thanks 1

My lockdown mod :

Rear anti-roll bar upgrade. OEM O3 to Golf 7 GTI

IMG-20200426-WA0012.thumb.jpg.610c822bd4340dd960fa3ebdf8c7b83a.jpg

And maintenance : new front disks/pads

IMG-20200501-WA0010.thumb.jpg.ff272b6842cee137b4597b620d324f5e.jpg

They really needed it !

IMG-20200501-WA0009.thumb.jpg.30350aa4d02a3cb97cafb1755370df99.jpg

2 more to come : rear brakes and aluminum pedals and foot rest 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NZ100 said:

Hi P, when you get a chance, could you put a picture up of the rears fitted? 

Here you go. Doors and a rear quarter. Close up of the clips that are snuck in behind the rubber and over the door frame.

IMG_20200509_185419.jpg

IMG_20200510_155640.jpg

IMG_20200510_155339.jpg

IMG_20200510_155618.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 10/05/2020 at 17:04, NZ100 said:

Thanks P. My fault, but i meant the split rear screen you hadn't fitted yet. Soz. 😕

Fitted as a trial for now. 

IMG_20200511_173128.jpg

IMG_20200511_172825.jpg

Paulski - you should be able to get it tidier than that (I appreciate you said trial fitting)..... push the blinds into the corners.....and, I contacted them and asked for more clips to hold it in the places it wasn’t perfect - they sent half a dozen FOC.

i really like them and haven’t removed them since fitting about 6 months ago !

👍👍

Thanks for putting that up P. 

Is it a trial, because your not sure of the look? 

Hi A, did you have to get used to the line in the middle of the window? 

2 hours ago, NZ100 said:

Wanted to see how visibility is through them for a while. Quite like the look already to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Achallenge said:

Paulski - you should be able to get it tidier than that (I appreciate you said trial fitting)..... push the blinds into the corners.....and, I contacted them and asked for more clips to hold it in the places it wasn’t perfect - they sent half a dozen FOC.

i really like them and haven’t removed them since fitting about 6 months ago !

👍👍

Indeed I need to persuade them in a bit more for sure. Was a bit rushed at the time. 

PS, ignore the missing battery, need to take it for a decent run now that I'm allowed to, and potentially buy a new battery when things are back to normal. 

On 10/05/2020 at 10:25, Woland said:

My lockdown mod :

Rear anti-roll bar upgrade. OEM O3 to Golf 7 GTI

IMG-20200426-WA0012.thumb.jpg.610c822bd4340dd960fa3ebdf8c7b83a.jpg

Have you been able to go out and test the difference? I appreciate you mightn't be able to drive too fast after just having your brake bits changed.

2 hours ago, broona said:

PS, ignore the missing battery, need to take it for a decent run now that I'm allowed to, and potentially buy a new battery when things are back to normal. 

Good to see B. Something else you can do during this time, go out and open the bonnet. 😉😂

On 12/05/2020 at 07:17, paulski said:

Fitted as a trial for now. 

IMG_20200511_173128.jpg

IMG_20200511_172825.jpg

Achallenge, I'm Still struggling to get one to fit but will add some more clips, this weekend. 

On 12/05/2020 at 08:33, NZ100 said:

Hi A, did you have to get used to the line in the middle of the window? 

Had them in a good few days now and I have to say I don't notice the join really, still good visibility. 

Best thing about the rear door blinds is I can leave the windows open on my sites I visit to stop car getting hot, and not get sewage treatment flies in the car anymore💩the little :devil:'s are a right pain to get  out. 

Edited by paulski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, broona said:

And believe it or not, I've managed to install them today after eventually remembering to order the M10 spline bit...

20200515_194632.jpg

Right I'm off out to the car now for another gas strut opening fix......

• Like 1

I nearly wore mine out doing just that!

The biggest pleasure that it gave me though was buying a pair of them with various ball ends for next to nothing and finding that fitting just one worked fine (the other would have needed lots of bracketry).

My UK next door neighbour has the same car, I offered the spare strut to him but he is Mr Panicky so turned it down, later on I had to fix a driveshaft for him that was doing its best to part company from the drivetrain, he had to go out so I fitted the gas strut in his absence and said nothing other than I had left him a mystery surprise.

He found it nearly a month later and was quite pleased with it, I had left his old bonnet stay hidden under the variofloor just in case.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, tunedude said:

Have you been able to go out and test the difference? I appreciate you mightn't be able to drive too fast after just having your brake bits changed.

Not tested "hard" yet, but I can feel a stiffened rear, The front is quite soft of course. Well, for a 70€ upgrade, I'm happy ;)

Edited by Woland
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, broona said:

And believe it or not, I've managed to install them today after eventually remembering to order the M10 spline bit...

20200515_194632.jpg

Your next mod needs to be a VCDS change to get those wipers to the park position after the  engine is turned off. 

• Like 1