rear brake caliper bracket spline screws

GordonY

Is  it possible to remove or slacken the caliper bracket spline screws  on 140 4x4 fl yeti (29k miles), with impact driver,Tried without success with breaker bar with yeti on axle stands as there is not  enough clearance to get any power on breaker bar.

Discs have corroded badly on both discs on inside edge outers look perfect

Edited by GordonY
missed details

17 minutes ago, GordonY said:

Is  it possible to remove or slacken the caliper bracket spline screws  on 140 4x4 fl yeti (29k miles), with impact driver,Tried without success with breaker bar with yeti on axle stands as there is not  enough clearance to get any power on breaker bar.

Discs have corroded badly on both discs on inside edge outers look perfect

I had the same problem on my previous Octavia VRS. With the long breaker bar I used, I needed more height than the axle stands were giving me. Rear discs and pads are so easy to fit if you can get that caliper bracket off. What did I do in the end, take it to the local garage for them to do it on their lift. Bloody annoying when you have to pay the garage to do a job that for years, I have been doing myself on numerous other cars. 

Really difficult job, I just did the same job on my superb 4x4. Half shafts really limit options. I used an 18in breaker bar in the end to crack them. No way of getting an impact tool in. 

I recall it being a nightmare on my pre-FL 170 4x4.

Had to jack it up really high to be able to get a long enough breaker bar under it, and remember having to buy a second spline bit of a different length just so I could get the bar on at a suitable angle between the various suspension arms, driveshaft etc.

Right pain in the arse it was, those bolts are really tight.

I remember being shocked how badly corroded the rear faces of the discs were, the outers weren't good but the inners were much worse (but normally very hard to inspect).

• 2 weeks later...

Had another go this weekend at replacing rear discs but this time I reversed car up onto my 2.5 ton car ramps which are about 8" in height.This gave me quite a bit more room under the yeti  and also with the suspension not being suspended as on axle stands seem to give easier access to the bolts.

With 18" breaker bar,spline socket,flexible joint I managed to break all the joints loose,The ramps gave a foot rest to give me  extra force to loosen them,I then took car off ramps and put car on to axle stands to remove and replace both discs and pads with new Brembos (inner face of old original discs where completely covered in crusty rust)

Once both sides where complete with splines quite tight I reversed up ramps and torqued splne  bolts to 90nm and got a good 1/4 extra with breaker bar after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t know if it works for the 4x4 models but the 1.2 fwd model the rear discs can be changed without removing the calliper carrier. 

Edited by Parkesie

1 minute ago, Parkesie said:

Don’t know if it works for the 4x4 models but the 1.2 fwd model the discs can be changed without removing the calliper carrier. 

Only possible with the smaller rear discs IIRC.