vRS trans and brakes??

Sloba

Hi everyone, I recently went to a scrapyard and saw a nice yellow vRS, the engine was out, but the whole front subframe was there. I took the tranny, front brake calipers and the dash. Then i saw a sticekr that said it was chipped, and yup, the ECU was still there! I even found the key in the car, so naturally I also took all that. Tried swapping the ECU, dash and the key, but it does not work. Not a problem, I can get an immo off at a friend when this pandemic stops, and i swapped the dash plastic nice looking thingy and the needles. My question is does the vRS tranny have an LSD? I tried spinning one oputput shaft and the other turns the same way. And does that tranny fit my PD100? Do I only need a clutch or is there more work involved? Also, what size are factory brakes (discs)? I want to buy those new, but I did not take the old ones from the scrappers, and I don't know the size...

Standard VRS discs are 288mm, they won't fit in place of your 256mm setup, the entire hub assembly and strut is different, you needed the whole lot, not just the calipers.

The VRS does not come with LSD as standard, but you may have got lucky.

You can't use the remapped VRS ECU in your PD100, you have a completely different turbo and injectors.

• Thanks 1

Oh damn, I´ll have to go back and hope no one took the hubs.. Do i need the driveshafts also? And does the gearbox fit my engine? I had no idea they are that different.. Thanks for the info anyway

Thanks a lot, I really hope that fits.. I have read somewhere that i would have to change the complete subframe, plus shifter cables and a lot other stuff..

Damn, i´m in such a dillema right now.. guess I´ll just have a go at it ad find out.. If it really is all those parts then i´m selling the box, the car and getting a real vRS lol

On 26/04/2020 at 18:34, Sloba said:

My question is does the vRS tranny have an LSD? I tried spinning one oputput shaft and the other turns the same way.

I think that is normal behaviour for these gearboxes. Not certain

6 hours ago, corndog said:

I think that is normal behaviour for these gearboxes. Not certain

An open diff will always spin the opposite way, the VRS has an open diff as standard.

I said probably because there is a remote possibility that the diff has been damaged causing it to turn in the same direction.

Because it's potentially worth a lot of money I would strip the box, identify the diff, take pictures, replace bearings and seals and sell it for top dollar.

As far as I know the Fabia has an electronic LSD not a Mechanical one.  It uses a ABS wheel sensors, possibly steering angle, and applies the brake to the spinning front wheel. I'm not sure if all Fabias have this or it's only the vRS. People in the past have fitted mechanical LSDs (Peloquin, springs to mind) with success.

Edited by Jim H

50 minutes ago, Jim H said:

As far as I know the Fabia has an electronic LSD not a Mechanical one.  It uses a ABS wheel sensors, possibly steering angle, and applies the brake to the spinning front wheel. I'm not sure if all Fabias have this or it's only the vRS. People in the past have fitted mechanical LSDs (Peloquin, springs to mind) with success.

My 2.0 has it as well, it's called ASR and it's awful, luckily you can switch it off.

On 29/04/2020 at 20:01, sepulchrave said:

My 2.0 has it as well, it's called ASR and it's awful, luckily you can switch it off.

My understanding is ASR (Anti Slip Regulation) Traction control is different to the EDL, Electronic Diff Lock. You can turn ASR off, but not EDL. I might be wrong though.

39 minutes ago, Jim H said:

My understanding is ASR (Anti Slip Regulation) Traction control is different to the EDL, Electronic Diff Lock. You can turn ASR off, but not EDL. I might be wrong though.

Are you saying the VRS has EDL instead of ASR?

ESP and EDL are concomitant. It is my understanding that ASR-only equipped cars don't have EDL/EDS. ASR works by limiting engine response until wheels don't spin, while EDS uses the brakes selectively per wheel in conjunction with (or thanks to) ESP without necessarily cutting engine power.

I learned that the hard way, going up an inclined gravel road, a wheel caught a slippery patch, silly me expecting a non existent EDL to do something and promptly proceeded to leave a trail of burned rubber (especially hurtful on a fresh set of tyres). No "diff lock" to be found. ASR only made things worse because it cut too much, making me back up. Had to wiggle my way up the hill in 1st gear, no ASR and gravel flying everywhere.

And then locals told me "you should've left your car at the base of the hill, only 4x4 trucks make it up here". Sould've warned me down there then.

Apparently the VRS had ESP as a high cost option which almost no-one bought here in the UK so there might be a couple of cars with it fitted.

The main thing is it's completely irrelevant, the VRS has an open diff as standard and the OP has found a gearbox with an aftermarket LSD fitted. Well done, have a biscuit.