Alloy wheel clean tar?

gav_is_con

Hope I won’t get shot by the detail or Briskoda police. I seem to have a problem only on SWMBOs car a 2013 Leon with persistently returning marks on the alloys. Not happened on any of my other cars, must be the way the alloy is shaped.  I am not a detailer or spend a lot of time cleaning my cars. But there is tar on the body thrown up by the wheels and on the wheels. I don’t want to use wonder wheels horrible stuff. It will clean wheels better than anything. I have some Chrome fallout which seems to do it slowly but not completely off the wheels. Also some other well known red bleeding wheel cleaner alkaline stuff. So what is the one product that will shift this  stuff quickly and with one application from the wheels. And also what can I use safely on the bodywork to remove tar spots. 

Hopefully without breaking the bank. Thanks 

91123FDC-5ED3-4C25-AB6F-83D6DCCBEABF.jpeg

Edited by gav_is_con
Change title

I very much doubt you’ll get it all

off in one hit, just to set expectations....

I would be looking at using Autosmart Tardis or another tar remover like Tar-X.

Wonder Wheels has its place, but if that’s not shifting it you’re in for a long labour of love if you want those wheels 100% clean from what looks like tar spots. 

That's brake dust there; I would recommend using Autogym Alloy Wheel cleaner (you will need rubber gloves, cos its a little nasty); and get a brush and start scrubbing....makes your wheels all fabulous!

10 hours ago, Cb40 said:

If it's far then I use Autoglym tar remover and it works pretty well👍

In need to look around to see what I have accumulated or consider which product out of all the suggestions comes out top, thanks 

7 hours ago, jars said:

I very much doubt you’ll get it all

off in one hit, just to set expectations....

I would be looking at using Autosmart Tardis or another tar remover like Tar-X.

Wonder Wheels has its place, but if that’s not shifting it you’re in for a long labour of love if you want those wheels 100% clean from what looks like tar spots. 

Yes I have read those names mentioned on the web. I am too scared of wonder wheels getting in my eyes. Plus the smell of it. Really shifts everything though. 

5 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

^^^ this 

& if tar, nothing really removes it quicker than petrol.

Get it off ASAP before it has eaten into your wheels.   

?

Have you checked the wear on the brake pads.

Yes petrol, white spirit some say wd40. I have checked Pads during lockdown as I switched wheels front to back. 

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel and Valet Pro Citrus Tar and Glue Remover should be good enough to clean the wheels and then remove any tar remnants. 

Be careful not to damage the lacquer on the wheel with overly aggressive/acidic products, as you're opening them up to even more problems.  Both the products above are perfectly safe and the VP Tar and Glue can be used on bodywork (as can the BH but that's just a waste 😀

Edited by penguin17

All of the above.

The simple fact is - solvent melts tar.

But - more importantly, you need to use a significant amount of Elbow Grease too.

• 3 months later...

Don’t know whether you got this sorted or not, but your brake pads are causing the problem for a start. 
to remove that properly, remove the wheel and mix concrete acid and water 50/50 in a spray bottle. Spray on and use a detailing brush straight away to remove baked in dust. Do small section at a time and wash off Well, with power hose or open hose instantly. 
this method will remove the brake dust without causing any harm to the finished surface of the wheel.