Smelly Aircon fix, cheap.

Rustynuts

Had my Yeti for over a year now and the Aircon has always had a sickly smell. I tried a few things, Aircon bomb which was useless, an aerosol foam squirted down all the vents and followed by another Aircon bomb which worked for a few weeks before the smell came back.

Last week I was in Tesco and saw this product on the shelf for £1.50. Sprayed it down all the vents and left it overnight, smell has gone.

Even if it comes back in a few months it's a cheap fix to do it again. I reckon there's 4 applications in a can.IMG_20200518_100030.thumb.jpg.7c71e2828d64d676ed52b36bc409a3b3.jpg

• Like 2

Not being rude but is it safe spraying a liquid down inside all the air vents?

Or does it dry out/evaporate leaving no residue?

Is there any potential longer term problems likely to follow from this method?

Just curious if this is a safe method, as my wife’s Citigo has never really smelled clean, it always has a slight “wet dog” odour.

There are other products which are designed to do this, such as the foam I used last year. I can't see any possible issues.

The spray in question is designed to be sprayed on and left to dry, I sprayed some on the kitchen hob glass top as a test and it evaporates and dries quickly.

Long term issues? I'll let you know. It's been a week now and it doesn't show any issues developing.

• Like 1

I found in my Roomie the smell happens when I switch off the aircon and run it just on the fan. I never get it when aircon is pumping out cold air. Don't know whether if it is an old wife's tale but it never a good idea to turn off the engine with the aircon still running.

• 2 weeks later...

Even cheaper and easier tip when your AC is a bit whiffy is to run the AC with the heater on full blast. This will dry the system out and kill the bugs that cause the funky smell.

Few miles with full heat and full fan (windows open so you don't melt) and you should be good for a while before needing to do it again.

Also recommended to switch off the AC for the last couple of miles before parking up - this gives the evaporator a chance to dry out and less chance of mould etc forming.

• Like 1

My opinion for what its worth (£1.50).......I always switch on aircon , whenever the car is used -even short runs..People think it uses more fuel ,true ,but not that much more.

Why buy a car with it ,if you don't use it.Compressor failure usually caused by not running it during Autumn/Winter.Damp air is dried on wet days ,so why not leave it on ??.

Two cars I have owned with air con had no smell.Handbook for my Citigo suggests air con is used,and as already stated here,switched off a few minutes before engine at journey end.

Routine needed....