fabia mk lll hybrid turbo

On 28/05/2020 at 18:43, FabiaGonzales said:

I'd advise going the eBay route, and collectig in person to inspect. A new/remanufactured turbo costs a couple hundred at the very least. An eBay one for that matter will be a fraction of the price, just ensure you inspect it in person before paying up.

If you're looking to spend an absolute bomb, then give a few places a call like Midland Turbo, Turbo Clinic and others a call, since the vw engines are used in a lot of different models and makes theyre quite common.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174072283299

Have Just obtained the Turbo and found a nice spot so took a pic 20200515_093003.thumb.jpg.5ae9dd172b159304da19c9ae2fbf8834.jpg

6 minutes ago, Eladshaul said:

Have Just obtained the Turbo and found a nice spot so took a pic 20200515_093003.thumb.jpg.5ae9dd172b159304da19c9ae2fbf8834.jpg

That's a brilliant spot, not often to see a yellow car nowadays either, contrasts well with the black roof & wheels though, really nice!

Mine needs a really really good clean and wax before i take another picture haha, the best it's had since january is a few blasts with a pressure washer

Well today a thing happened, my 1.4 Turbo got installed today, to my surprise i had no check engine lights and the engine management lights all stayed off!

First gear pulls like an absolute truck, i'm guessing because it just flows better, it's way easier to get a chirp from the tyres shifting 1st to 2nd.

There's a bit more lag going straight from from off throttle coasting to wide open throttle below like 2400 rpm ish, and a little moreso below 1800 ish, but above that it's not noticeably different. It doesn't seem to run out of puff so quickly, each gear seems to pull a little better, didn't notice so much difference in 2nd or 3rd except that it doesnt feel like it runs out of puff, it just keeps going, but 4th and 5th were better, 4th pulls well to 110 where it creeps after that, where it would creep from 107 ish, and 5th pulls well to 115-116 where it would creep after 110-111, didn't dare bother trying to do a top speed run as it's low-mid 20s and both i and the car are pretty cooked.

Not even mapped it yet.. then we'll be talking!!

Note to anyone else doing this, it is doable by yourself, but hell it's not easy with 25 sets of almost but not quite correct tools, and certainly not in the full sun with almost 25c heat belting down on you! I managed to turn what could have been a 2hr job, into more like 8hrs, or about 7hrs ignoring all the breaks to grab a cold can of coke 😂

Now to tend to my sunburn from being out in the sun for 8 hours 😐

10 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Well today a thing happened, my 1.4 Turbo got installed today, to my surprise i had no check engine lights and the engine management lights all stayed off!

First gear pulls like an absolute truck, i'm guessing because it just flows better, it's way easier to get a chirp from the tyres shifting 1st to 2nd.

There's a bit more lag going straight from from off throttle coasting to wide open throttle below like 2400 rpm ish, and a little moreso below 1800 ish, but above that it's not noticeably different. It doesn't seem to run out of puff so quickly, each gear seems to pull a little better, didn't notice so much difference in 2nd or 3rd except that it doesnt feel like it runs out of puff, it just keeps going, but 4th and 5th were better, 4th pulls well to 110 where it creeps after that, where it would creep from 107 ish, and 5th pulls well to 115-116 where it would creep after 110-111, didn't dare bother trying to do a top speed run as it's low-mid 20s and both i and the car are pretty cooked.

Not even mapped it yet.. then we'll be talking!!

Note to anyone else doing this, it is doable by yourself, but hell it's not easy with 25 sets of almost but not quite correct tools, and certainly not in the full sun with almost 25c heat belting down on you! I managed to turn what could have been a 2hr job, into more like 8hrs, or about 7hrs ignoring all the breaks to grab a cold can of coke 😂

Now to tend to my sunburn from being out in the sun for 8 hours 😐

😂😂 sunscreen is a must when working outside.. I too have installed the 1.4 turbo with my dad it took us 4 hours overall and there are minor changes to the car performance..but it deffinetly feels like the turbo is stressing much less and has more power to give.. now about the mapping, should i go to a tuner or do you think i should use an COBB accessport and e- tuning? 

1 hour ago, Eladshaul said:

😂😂 sunscreen is a must when working outside.. I too have installed the 1.4 turbo with my dad it took us 4 hours overall and there are minor changes to the car performance..but it deffinetly feels like the turbo is stressing much less and has more power to give.. now about the mapping, should i go to a tuner or do you think i should use an COBB accessport and e- tuning? 

From my personal opinion and experience go to a tuner, i don’t trust those plug and play things !!!

3 hours ago, Eladshaul said:

2 hours ago, xensnow said:

From my personal opinion and experience go to a tuner, i don’t trust those plug and play things !!!

Definitely a tuner, neeeed someone to custom map it, they boost way different to the 1.2 turbo. JBS quoted me £450, i have asked them when they're expecting to open, not had a response yet.

I agree, theres a little less torque down low (or maybe there is the same but it doesn't come in so fast and sharp), and as revs climb i can hear the wastegate is open much more, the turbo is barely working! It pulls much better from 4k to 6k rpm, it just feels way less restricted.

Since you've done yours now, how did you get on with the bottom oil drain (the big thick pipe)? for me that bugger wouldn't come out if the old turbo and didn't wanna go back in the new one, i also had one of the manifold nuts bring out the stud with it, so i gave up and pulled all the old studs and put those new ones in.

This morning my arms and neck feel like i spent the entire day doing some mad workout in the sun, which isn't far off the truth tbh. My sprained shoulder finally stopped being sprained. Nice 😂

For mapping speak to ADEdmundson. 

they map some of the fastest drag cars in the UK and did my fabia when it had the CR170 turbo. Anthony there is a great mapper. 

https://m.facebook.com/ADEdmundson-100506461696982/

don’t put off with it being a new page they are formally known as ade tuning before one of the partners got bought out. 

On 02/06/2020 at 14:04, FabiaGonzales said:

Definitely a tuner, neeeed someone to custom map it, they boost way different to the 1.2 turbo. JBS quoted me £450, i have asked them when they're expecting to open, not had a response yet.

I agree, theres a little less torque down low (or maybe there is the same but it doesn't come in so fast and sharp), and as revs climb i can hear the wastegate is open much more, the turbo is barely working! It pulls much better from 4k to 6k rpm, it just feels way less restricted.

Since you've done yours now, how did you get on with the bottom oil drain (the big thick pipe)? for me that bugger wouldn't come out if the old turbo and didn't wanna go back in the new one, i also had one of the manifold nuts bring out the stud with it, so i gave up and pulled all the old studs and put those new ones in.

This morning my arms and neck feel like i spent the entire day doing some mad workout in the sun, which isn't far off the truth tbh. My sprained shoulder finally stopped being sprained. Nice 😂

so .. my dad had to switch the turbo back due to water pump failure we sent it to vw mechanics they slapped a new water pump on it and it had also failed.. had a series of annoying expiriences now it is all fine .. but after all the mess my dad gave up on helping me switch to the 1.4 turbo (installing it by himeself basically 😂) so now it is all up to me . tbh i have little how to do it.. any guides videos or anything that can help me?  

On 02/06/2020 at 21:32, AMD87 said:

For mapping speak to ADEdmundson. 

they map some of the fastest drag cars in the UK and did my fabia when it had the CR170 turbo. Anthony there is a great mapper. 

https://m.facebook.com/ADEdmundson-100506461696982/

don’t put off with it being a new page they are formally known as ade tuning before one of the partners got bought out. 

They quoted me about £400 but are fully booked for the next 2-3 weeks, JBS quoted £450 but are also fully booked. It looks like JBS would be faster as they have previous hybrid stuff to work off, but ultimately they'll probably both come out with near identical results. It's custom mapping afterall, not a standard revo map!

6 hours ago, Eladshaul said:

so .. my dad had to switch the turbo back due to water pump failure we sent it to vw mechanics they slapped a new water pump on it and it had also failed.. had a series of annoying expiriences now it is all fine .. but after all the mess my dad gave up on helping me switch to the 1.4 turbo (installing it by himeself basically 😂) so now it is all up to me . tbh i have little how to do it.. any guides videos or anything that can help me?  

I made what i hope is a helpful post for anyone doing the 1.4 turbo swaps;

I didn't think about making a full guide, so i made a "quick guide" to be used as rough guidance when doing it.

If you did get some pictures and wrote up a better guide, i'd appreciate it (and im sure others will too) if you added that to the post :D