Kodiaq vs Tarraco

Hi,

I have narrowed down my new car to these 2 - looking at L&K vs XCELLENCE Lux

The Tarraco is considerably cheaper comparing like for like so I was wondering what additional features the Kodiaq has over the Tarraco?

From looking online it seems the Kodiaq has a better sound system with the Canton and the rear seat back release (not sure if that is available on the Tarraco).

However these are negligible so pending test driving both, I am swaying more to the Tarraco

Any thoughts?

Thanks

3 hours ago, ghellers said:I

........   Any thoughts?

Thanks

Yep.

Just go compare specs on the relevant web pages and build your choice of model. Go kick a few tyres. How about a test drive?

Spec and price differences should be obvious.

If you’re a badge fan, go for a Q5 and get a lot less for more.

Of course, on here we’re all biased so we chose Kodiaqs.

A test drive of both is the only real way to compare. I would be interested to hear your decision. I have not driven the Tarraco however I personally prefer the interior aesthetics of the Kodiaq. Design is subjective.

Edited by jasoncmiles

When I bought my Kodiaq the Tarraco hadn't launched.

If I were in the same position again I'd likely choose the SEAT.

The Kodiaq is far better looking, inside and out, but it's expensive in comparison to the Tarraco.

It is however far easier to tailor the Kodiaq to your exact preferred spec, SEAT like to limit your options by choosing them for you. I guess if you're looking at the top specs on both then it's less of an issue.

It all depends on what engine you're looking at but when I checked the broker prices using 2.0tdi 190 DSG 4x4,  there was £1000 of a difference between the two. I used to have an Ateca which I swapped for a Karoq - the Ateca IMO was by far the better looking car from the outside but in every other department the Karoq had it licked.

If you're ordering new then one BIG difference is you can customise a Skoda whereas there are little or no options on a SEAT these days. There are also things like SATNAV updates - you can download the latest update yourself on a SKODA, however SEAT ( I assume it's the same on Tarraco ) use a system where only the dealer can install the update.  There was a workaround but it was complicated and hit n miss if it worked. I read a few stories of people buggering it up.The dealer charges something like £150 just to update the satnav.

Again I don't know the Tarraco but difference in materials used and build quality was higher in Skoda than SEAT, I just thought the SEAT felt cheaper. Sounds silly but even things you touch like the steering wheel - it felt thinner and harder in the SEAT.

The SEAT should be the better equipped car as std - it will come fully loaded  with things such as Digital dash, parking assist ( something I myself would now insist on when buying a new car £300 odd option on L&K ) and auto cruise and I think heated rear seats if its a Lux.  Skoda L&K should come with with a glass sunroof which is one of the very few options on a SEAT ( £1000 ) but thngs like digital dash and ACC are extras. TBH, I don't think L&K trim is pick of the range. If you're not interested in Canton, I'd go for something like an Edition and spec it up with what I want.

One thing that would drive me crazy tho is the SEAT boot...

Kodiaqboot.jpg.202d6d103f5646317b327f79cd739990.jpg     tarracoboot.jpg.9e99f92964749b59a0baac8698c35eb9.jpg

What the hell is going on with the SEAT boot floor? The design seems to have been an afterthought and it looks as if the floor is a lot less robust. That floor alone would be enough for me to walk away.

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

It all depends on what engine you're looking at but when I checked the broker prices using 2.0tdi 190 DSG 4x4,  there was £1000 of a difference between the two. I used to have an Ateca which I swapped for a Karoq - the Ateca IMO was by far the better looking car from the outside but in every other department the Karoq had it licked.

If you're ordering new then one BIG difference is you can customise a Skoda whereas there are little or no options on a SEAT these days. There are also things like SATNAV updates - you can download the latest update yourself on a SKODA, however SEAT ( I assume it's the same on Tarraco ) use a system where only the dealer can install the update.  There was a workaround but it was complicated and hit n miss if it worked. I read a few stories of people buggering it up.The dealer charges something like £150 just to update the satnav.

Again I don't know the Tarraco but difference in materials used and build quality was higher in Skoda than SEAT, I just thought the SEAT felt cheaper. Sounds silly but even things you touch like the steering wheel - it felt thinner and harder in the SEAT.

The SEAT should be the better equipped car as std - it will come fully loaded  with things such as Digital dash, parking assist ( something I myself would now insist on when buying a new car £300 odd option on L&K ) and auto cruise and I think heated rear seats if its a Lux.  Skoda L&K should come with with a glass sunroof which is one of the very few options on a SEAT ( £1000 ) but thngs like digital dash and ACC are extras. TBH, I don't think L&K trim is pick of the range. If you're not interested in Canton, I'd go for something like an Edition and spec it up with what I want.

Kodiaqboot.jpg.202d6d103f5646317b327f79cd739990.jpg     tarracoboot.jpg.9e99f92964749b59a0baac8698c35eb9.jpg

What the hell is going on with the SEAT boot floor? The design seems to have been an afterthought and it looks as if the floor is a lot less robust. That floor alone would be enough for me to walk away.

thanks comprehensive reply but when moving up to the 2L petrol the price difference between edition and L&K is tiny

For me, the difference between my customised Kodiaq and Tarraco brand new was £4k, but I don't mind getting a used car as long as it has the options I am after. This is considerably more difficult on the Kodiaq where as on the Tarraco Xcellence Lux it already has all the options.

A used one of those will save me even more money,

I think when I see them both I will know, it will come down to is the build quality and slightly bigger third row of the Kodiaq (according to reviews) worth the price difference

4 hours ago, ghellers said:

thanks comprehensive reply but when moving up to the 2L petrol the price difference between edition and L&K is tiny

For me, the difference between my customised Kodiaq and Tarraco brand new was £4k, but I don't mind getting a used car as long as it has the options I am after. This is considerably more difficult on the Kodiaq where as on the Tarraco Xcellence Lux it already has all the options.

A used one of those will save me even more money,

I think when I see them both I will know, it will come down to is the build quality and slightly bigger third row of the Kodiaq (according to reviews) worth the price difference

That funny - when I look at Broker the rrp of Edition is £2000 less than L&K but then when I go to look for something else, the Edition figure disappears. I completely forgot, Skoda in the midst of deleting Edition so Broker must be in the middle of updating stock/prices. Bugger that option then! :D

I was looking at del miles, very low miles Kodiaq but couldn't find anything with park sensors so it would have to be new. That said, I was looking at Sportline and with recent price increases and the decision to offer auto only a few added options takes it over £40k and I'm buggered if I'm going to pay an extra £300 a year VED for a Skoda. I'm only taking a guess at this, I have no evidence, but I'd have expected the SEAT to depreciate greater than the Skoda therefore that's also worth taking in to account.

Something else ( minor I know ) but with Skoda I get 3yr warranty and 3yr breakdown cover, with SEAT it's only 2yr breakdown. ( Big deal I hear you say...  and you'd be right! :D ) 3rd yr cover was included on SEAT service - not sure if that offer is still going.

Not sure how you feel about BMW X3 M-Sport but when I last looked there were some del mile / nearly new well spec M-Sport models with PLUS pack at BMW dealerships for around the £34-£36k mark, depending on spec. ( That was diesel, petrol would have been cheape)r.   It's worth a look if that tickles your fancy or ask about what discounts are on offer from new.  No disrespect to Skoda ( I own two ) but at £470 a year VED, a BMW X3 is a no brainer to me. The insurance cost wasnt significantly more for my situation either. 

Edited by Guest

Update:  I was passing Arnold Clark yesterday and noticed a Taracco being sold for £27999. Checked when I got back home, seems like they're delivery miles 2.0tdi Xcellence Lux DSG 4x4 and they seem to have several available dotted around the country.

The list on that is £38920, the best discount price I can see is £31800 so if Clark is selling del miles '69 reg cars for £28k  !!!!  Jeez.  Now that's what I call depreciation.  Just think of all those silly buggers who'll have paid list or near list.  :crying:

Despite the thoughts of some after seeing Skoda increase their list prices last month...

...as suggested, the price we pay for brand new cars is only going to go one way, down.

Skoda and SEAT can do as they wish to their list prices, but what they take with one hand they'll have to give back with the other if they want to continue registering new cars and keep the production lines at capacity.

Redundancies due to a looming recession (or at best an economic downturn) always hits new car sales. Those of us still lucky enough to have a job and be able to work from home will mean fleet sales will be decimated, homeworking will also see private commuting mileage severely reduced.

Then there's diesel engines, and even now petrol engines too. They are under more pressure than ever before to survive, and personally I don't fancy their chances.

If you've always fancied a 2.0 litre diesel SUV then now's your chance, a fully loaded Tarraco with change from £28,000 might be a flavour of things to come. Unless the 2.0 TSI is more expensive then quite why anyone who doesn't tow or cover intergalactic mileage would buy a diesel right now is beyond me.

Presumably the Arnold Clarke discount doesn't already include the SEAT UK offer of a £3,000 discount, assuming you'd be able to finance it using a PCP?

image.png.2176af31944df93d0768f8ae35c8c5f1.png

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

Despite the thoughts of some after seeing Skoda increase their list prices last month...

That'll be me :D

...as suggested, the price we pay for brand new cars is only going to go one way, down.

Skoda and SEAT can do as they wish to their list prices, but what they take with one hand they'll have to give back with the other if they want to continue registering new cars and keep the production lines at capacity.

Then there's diesel engines, and even now petrol engines too. They are under more pressure than ever before to survive, and personally I don't fancy their chances.

If you've always fancied a 2.0 litre diesel SUV then now's your chance, a fully loaded Tarraco with change from £28,000 might be a flavour of things to come. Unless the 2.0 TSI is more expensive then quite why anyone who doesn't tow or cover intergalactic mileage would buy a diesel right now is beyond me.

Presumably the Arnold Clarke discount doesn't already include the SEAT UK offer of a £3,000 discount, assuming you'd be able to finance it using a PCP?

To answer those:

The deal was pre-reg so discount doesn't apply.  If it were new tho then from experience Arnie seem to use their buying power. I'm sure the manufacturer deals will still be available but when I bought my Ateca, all the manufacturer money off vouchers and cashbacks etc meant nothing. I don't particulary like dealing with Clark but their price on the Ateca was better than any broker could reach. But as I say that was brand new - they had used cars on the forecourt for a few thousand more than I'd just paid buying brand new. I don't know how their bulk buying works, ( nor did I care ).

Regarding tsi, they don't have any advertised. The cheapest 2.0tsi I can see from a broker comes out at £31468.  Ok it's a 20 reg v 69 reg which come say 3yr will be worth around £500 difference. That means a tsi is around £3000 more. In a car that size though, tdi is still king and should return a substantial mpg advantage. It's certainly not beyond me, nor would it be my bank manager. :D

As for list price increases. Well I've said it before and I'll say it again, it makes a huge difference. Lot's of Kodiaqs are now hovering just under the £40k mark. You add a sunroof or a couple of options like the parking sensors that I'd add and say a digital dash and before you know it, you're an extra £320 a year for VED. Keep the car three year as Joe Average does and that's £1000 down the drain for sod all. What it also means that if a car is north of that £40k mark, depreciation takes a huge hit. I think it's only after 6yr that the VED is reduced back to normal.  The SEAT is priced better. You can only really add a sunroof and spare wheel so everything has been kept under the 'luxury' car tax. SEAT have been much smarter than Skoda in that respect.

Edited by Guest

The only thing I'd add is that Skoda or SEAT won't be overly concerned about the increased VED over £40,000, everyone's in the same boat. £320 sounds like a lot, but dilute that into the depreciation and it'll almost boil down to a rounding error.

Increasing list prices is real, there is a genuine need to do it, car production isn't getting cheaper, it is certainly getting more expensive to design manufacturer and supply vehicles, however my point on the other thread is that this doesn't necessarily mean we always pay more, in times like this it means the margins of Skoda and their dealer network are squeezed as they offer increased discounts to shift cars, much like you've spotted on the Tarraco at Arnold Clark.

I paid £29,000 for my brand new factory order 2018 1.4 TSI manual Scout with a couple of grands worth of options. Fast forward exactly two years and the same money would get me a higher specification, a bigger engine, diesel, and a DSG gearbox.

Arguably a fair chunk more car for less money - two years later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Not Arnold Clarke,

but 'Arnold Clark',  those that put on bright yellow stickers and number plates on squint quite often.

One of the many things that they don't do very well....😐

• Like 1

Regarding build quality, as far as I’m aware the Kodiaq is built at Kvasiny, (and also at Changsha in China, Nizhny Novgorod in Russia, Aurangabad in India, Solomonovo in Ukraine and Ust-Kamenogorsk in Kazakhstan)

The Seat Taracco is built at VW factory in Wolfsburg (which also makes Golfs, Touran and Tiguan).   

Of course many components and sub assemblies will come from standard VW group suppliers so quality could be same regardless of which VW group brand end up in.

Reviews normally say that the SEAT cars have harsher suspension settings to match their 'sporty' market profile while Skodas are more comfortable. I was keen on the Kodiaq L&K rather than the Edition since once I'd added the options I wanted there was very little difference in their prices. But now the L&K has breached the £40k barrier, and I've decided I can't justify a seven seater just to get a big boot! 

Chris

& those reviews are often from a journalist / reviewer that was in some sunny climate driving a left hand drive media vehicle that they never even bothered to check the tyre pressures of.

At least with a demonstrator or used car you can go try driving them yourself, check the tyre pressures and see what you think.

Or Bob Flavin will drive the left hand ones then right hand models when they get to the Irish Republic and give his impressions and not just repeat what is in the media pack.

On 05/06/2020 at 11:03, Scot5 said:

You said it mate, that bump in the floor made me walk away from both the Terraco & the Allspace. The bump I noticed were only in th 7 seat versions. The Kodiaq has such a neat boot. The quality of materials too in the Kodiaq were superior to Terraco IMO. 

Hi guys

Havent been on forum in a while had a mk3 superb sportline 2.0tsi dsg a yr ago but changed to a leon cupra ST 300 dsg.  Wanted an estate as we ended up with a dog ans wanted more power and 4wd haha, got sick off wheelspin in the superb. Anyway fastforward another yr and we are now looking at a tarraco as we now need more space lol.  

I looked at kodiaqs initially as always liked those but decided on a tarraco. 

We are looking at used ones and we have narrowed down to an xcellence first edition plus. Which is the top spec has nearly everything. Virtual dash, lane assist lane guidance blind spot monitor, self park, adaptive cruise, rear exit assist, beats audio, panoramic roof, heated front and rear seats, 3 zone climate to name a few... The tarraco used is around 8k or so less than similar age kodiaqs with not even half the spec... 

I guess it all depends if spec matters to you. 

We are going to look at the tarraco tomorrow so will update. 

Adrian

After seeing both I am more swayed to the Kodiaq. Ignoring the appearance of the 2 as that’s subjective there was a lot of little things that meant I opted for Kodiaq. 

I found the following things in Tarraco:

No passenger electric memory seat in Tarraco

Slightly lower leg room in third row

Noticeable drop in head room in third row

Strange cup holder on right side third row that can’t hold anything

Poorer tech in the infotainment

No DCC option

No sleep or family packages

Very bland passenger side cockpit (looked like a standard car from 10 years ago)

Generally felt cheaper which ties to above point (if you’re paying 25-30k on a new/newish car, some premium feeling would be nice)

I think I am missing a couple of others and all of those points I mentioned are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things to be honest however for me I found I would be giving up a lot by getting the Tarraco. 

Also, I think Kodiaq depreciates less but haven’t done enough research to confirm. I haven’t decided if the Kodiaq is completely sufficient or whether I need a used Q7. Q7 has 3 decent seats in second row and 2 decent seats with isofix points in the third row. If I want to sell the Kodiaq and buy a used Q7 for an additional 5-10k, I believe I should have lost less money compared with buying a Tarraco. 

6 hours ago, Adrian55555 said:

The tarraco used is around 8k or so less than similar age kodiaqs with not even half the spec... 

£8,000 is a tad extreme, perhaps £4,000 - £5000...

image.png.6ccce52847e4103eaf5abe76e2675239.png

image.png.41d185ffab20ba26e8b974e7d8ff86a2.png

• 7 months later...