Went from 5w30 to 5w40, no more smoke!

So, after a turbo replacement my car smoked HORRIBLY, as the eBay is turbo was the wrong one and my mechanic took both apart and rebuilt it with my old turbo to make it fit. RATHER than simply tell me so I could return it and buy the right one. Charged higher for a lazier worse job....

it smoked horribly. But after replacing the oil with 5w40 the smoking stopped. It’s still slow and I can tell the turbo is screwed but there is no smoke at all!

Is this something that makes sense, or will this thicker oil cause an even bigger issue? My mechanic still isn’t open so I can’t go back to complain at the moment

21 hours ago, stevobeavo said:

I think I'd be telling the garage to supply and fit a new turbo Free of charge. 

I'm not convinced that would work in this instance, it sounds like the OP bought a turbo cheaply, then got a mechanic to fit it, now if he had handed that car in to get a turbo changed and ended up with the results he has, yes he could go back and get it sorted out FOC, maybe.

On 06/06/2020 at 21:02, sakta said:

So, after a turbo replacement my car smoked HORRIBLY, as the eBay is turbo was the wrong one and my mechanic took both apart and rebuilt it with my old turbo to make it fit. RATHER than simply tell me so I could return it and buy the right one. Charged higher for a lazier worse job....

it smoked horribly. But after replacing the oil with 5w40 the smoking stopped. It’s still slow and I can tell the turbo is screwed but there is no smoke at all!

Is this something that makes sense, or will this thicker oil cause an even bigger issue? My mechanic still isn’t open so I can’t go back to complain at the moment

The thicker oil is probably better; presuming it meets or exceeds the 505.01 VW spec. It does make sense as it will be less likely to find leakage paths at operating temperature than the thinner oil.

It could also be that there's been a coincidence here. The oil causing the smoke may have been residual, left over from before the new turbo, and it happened to finish being 'ejected' at about the same time as the change of oil.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wino said:

The thicker oil is probably better; presuming it meets or exceeds the 505.01 VW spec. It does make sense as it will be less likely to find leakage paths at operating temperature than the thinner oil.

It could also be that there's been a coincidence here. The oil causing the smoke may have been residual, left over from before the new turbo, and it happened to finish being 'ejected' at about the same time as the change of oil.

Ah I doubt it, I've covered maybe 2000 miles since and its been there all along. I was hoping it was that, but eh, my fault for buying off ebay. Shame

5 hours ago, rum4mo said:

I'm not convinced that would work in this instance, it sounds like the OP bought a turbo cheaply, then got a mechanic to fit it, now if he had handed that car in to get a turbo changed and ended up with the results he has, yes he could go back and get it sorted out FOC, maybe.

Pretty much. £110 for the turbo from ebay, £160 labour. Was labeled as a Fabia vRS turbo for the BLT engine, but it wasnt. Im just frustrated the mechanic didnt say beforehand, its the wrong one, before going straight into the job, taking the old turbo off, THEN going oops, wrong one! Ive stopped work due to COVID so I had absolutely no money, otherwise I wouldve gone for something new or refurbed 😞

Edited by sakta