Should History be airbrushed/side stepped because of the Black Lives Matter movement?

3 hours ago, Chorlton said:

^Looks like they did a quick an efficient job.  Council contractors take note!

Passed the planning application pretty quickly so it would seem.

Edited by shyVRS245
wrong word
  • Haha 1

The only statement being made is that mob rule wins and the laws are only there for the law abiding.

Being erected at 4.30 in the morning was a big clue!

Its only about 6" tall, you will never see a photo or video of it in scale on the column, I bet the cowards just stuck it on a semi dried turd and the first pigeon to sit on it (it looks very unbalanced) will cause it to fall on someones head, but hey Elf & Safety aren't a consideration under mob rule.

• Like 3

Better get down to Bristol quick if you want to see the statue as the Council are going to remove it. 

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Its only about 6" tall, you will never see a photo or video of it in scale on the column, 

I just did on BBC News so that kinda blows that outta the water doesn't it.
And here's a video from The Telegraph. 
#YoUlLnEvErSeEtHiSoNtHeMaInStReAmMeDiA :D 

According to the BBC this morning the statue has been removed. I do hope the costs incurred by the council to remove the statue are passed to those responsible for placing there and not the good tax payers of Bristol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, moley said:

According to the BBC this morning the statue has been removed. I do hope the costs incurred by the council to remove the statue are passed to those responsible for placing there and not the good tax payers of Bristol.

So I was right about it not getting planning permission approval.:mmm:

So some London artist decides he knows best for Bristol?

Glad it is gone because if anyone decides what goes there it should be the people of Bristol not an entitled Londoner after some publicity. I too hope he faces the bills for removal etc.

EDIT:

Well it's gone, available for collection or donation to the city and the mayor has suggested covering the costs of removal would be appreciated:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-53427014

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, john999boy said:

It appears that it's obligatory to have the 'correct view' and also for that view to be conveyed to your followers! 🤦‍♂️

There are consequences for not toeing the line!

BLM5.thumb.jpg.4ee122ecc706bd4dabbf1fbeab3476c2.jpg

A slightly more in-depth report on what Jasmine Archer-Jones posted can be found on the Evening Standard website, here:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/jasmine-archer-jones-miss-swimsuit-uk-stripped-title-a4501236.html

I think the point people miss is that it's not BLM vs ALM, agreeing with BLM does not diminish or deny the fact that ALM.  BLM recognises that people of colour have faced and continue to face awful prejudice in their lives just because of the colour of their skin.

Edited by Chorlton
spelling
  • Like 1

Oh I don't know, I saw a post by an indian person on facebook where she dared to say all lives matter.

She was then greeted with hostility, telling her she didn't know what she was on about and no it wasn't ALM as blacks were oppressed.

The people telling her this were all white and all very much in privilaged positions.

One was at uni with this woman, and back at uni I remember him slagging this woman off and using her being Indian as why she did certain things behind her back.

Now however he is politically active (On the left in his case) and decides he as a white man, who has a cushy job, is the moral authority on what an Indian person can think on racism,

Not that I like Mz Patel, but it appears now that many white people and some black people seem to think everyone else doesn't understand racism.

So yes, you're right that BLM shouldn't detract from ALM, although I personally think ALM should really be where we are.

Equality for all, with a particular focus on making sure people can't game the system based on race etc.

However I sadlly feel that BLM does affect the debate, due to a number of privilaged white people telling non-black people, they don't know what racism is because it's blacks that matter.

From the rest of the thread, I guess we would call them the woke.

This situation of stratification of severity of racism is dangerous.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
Typo
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, john999boy said:

It appears that it's obligatory to have the 'correct view' and also for that view to be conveyed to your followers! 🤦‍♂️

There are consequences for not toeing the line!

BLM5.thumb.jpg.4ee122ecc706bd4dabbf1fbeab3476c2.jpg

Think we all know how bias works. Just wondering John if you have any photo's of her after she is stripped of her swimsuit?

• Haha 1
  • Groan 2

I'm going to share how racism works both ways. Whilst working for a company called Tech Data my regular night shift colleague was on holiday so a relief person was drafted in to help me during the 12 hour shift. After watching a Champions League football match on the TV in the canteen next to our office they slept for the rest of the night and I got zero help from them during the 12 hours and hardly spoke to them. Not surprisingly I didn't want the person to be sent to me the next shift and rang my Control Room to explain what had happened. When that person was informed they would not be working with me again they made up a false claim that I had been racist to them which I have never been to any work colleague in 37 years at work. I am white they are black and the person who suspended me is Indian. Can you work out how this is going to end? So after an interview at HQ where I ask to see the Incident report that the other person had made up several times and they refused to let me see it and I was also refused to have a third party sit with me to give advice they decided to demote me to relief officer from core officer and probably knowing the way these things work offered my old job to the lying, lazy person who nearly got me sacked. I did the relief job for 2 weeks found another job with a better firm I could trust and have not looked back. This was in 2007 and I have worked for the same company ever since who give me praise for my high standards I set at work have had zero complaints from colleagues and customers during that time and this type of targeted, malicious racism exists where people want to use it for their benefit. This incident makes it even more painful for me every time someone on a forum such as this suggests I am racist because I know what it feels like to be the innocent victim of made up lies and the worry it leads to as the power of your future career hangs in the balance and the hands of a third party choosing who to believe.

• Like 4

Sorry not all white people are innocent nor any group in it’s entirety.

Your point that the Indian person was going to automatically side with the black person just because you are white is in itself pretty racist.

An Indian person isn’t automatically against white people. That person may have many reasons to be against you, but it’s pretty bad to brush it off as race.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but that is down to the individual not their race. No matter what their race.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 7 months later...

One final clarification as it’s been raised by a few channels, the above post does not ban political chat ;)

The point of a demonstration is to be heard, to make an argument, to encourage others – whether they are people passing by, or workers in a company, or MPs in parliament – to hear the protestors’ point of view. In other words, to have an “impact”. This is why we call them ‘demonstrations’. It is a demonstration of a political view, expressed so that it can convince others. That is what makes it a vital part of free speech.

Demonstrations are not just any kind of free speech. They are the free speech of the unheard. They are the last medium of communication and influence available to people who are frozen out of the formal political system, either in the media or in parliament. And those are the people Patel is trying to silence.

I don't know what other people feel about this but it doesn't sit well with me when a Government tries to bring in draconian laws to silence people. It's all a bit to close to something I won't name In My Opinion. 

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment/2021/03/11/silencing-black-lives-matter-priti-patels-anti-protest-law/
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1370322183793295370.html

Relevant IMO

Edited by Lee01

Literally wanting to airbrush history. Well, shred it actually but it amounts to the same thing. I've seen a bit of this recently; people getting upset that some places are adding more facts as to the history behind things. Kew Garden was one IIRC who were adding how they acquired some of their plants from ex colonies of the British Empire for example.  

An MP has called for a report into Lincolnshire's historical links to the slave trade to be "shredded".

Historic England identified four places in the county with a "slavery past", including Burghley House in Stamford and the town of Woodhall Spa.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-56447347
https://research.historicengland.org.uk/Report.aspx?i=16784

• 4 weeks later...