Oil temperature

Hi guys, I have a question which bugs me. This weekend I was visiting my sister which is 250km away from me. I took my superb on a nice trip. The car went beautifully and I made it without stop on one take. The thing is, that after I came to the destination I have checked the digital oil temperature and it was saying 102Celsius. I was immediately surprised, as far as I know the oil temp should be MAX 90 degrees. The needle of oil temperature on dash was straight at 90degrees. So I am confused here a little bit, needle show 90 but the digital oil temp show 102-105 degrees. 

Today when I was going to work, the oil temp was at 90-92 max. Also I have noticed that often times the needle shows 90degrees but the digital oil temp is still only on 70degrees.

Does anyone know why the oil temp went so high? All of my mates told me that it never should happen even when I am on driveway and running over 2k RPM (2200 to be specific) the motor is 2.0TDI. It makes me worry.

Every help and advice is appreciated, Thank you guys :)

• Confused 1

Your mates seem maybe to not know that much about Cars and Engine Oil temperatures.

Coolant is normally a Needle on a gauge and goes to 90*oC. (Unless there is overheating of the coolant.)

Oil is usually a number on the 'Oil Temp' readout after it goes above 50*oC. 

**That was the 102-105*oC you read at the weekend.**

?

How far was 'going to work'  and what was the ambient temp?

No idea where you are!

The normal / efficient oil temp when the oil is up to temp is in the 90-92*oC indicated.

The oil temperature can rise into the early 100*oC -115 or so as the ambient temp and speeds are getting higher.

The coolant at around 90*oC is to cool the oil. So as oil is hot the car / system / coolant / fan / oil cooler is bring the temp down.

If you are driving in normal weather as on above freezing temps, and a TDI's oil is not up to above 80*oC to 90*oC after 15 miles something is wrong.

DSCN0173.JPG.81279b7a06350692bc8f4f712468c6c1.jpeg

DSCN0174.JPG.c5e38a4d6e20867853f32a4074dc9fdd.jpeg

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

The temp gauge on the dash is water temperature and normally sits at 90°C it is also normal for the oil temperature to read higher. The highest I ever saw on my previous Yeti was 118° C

If you are driving for many hours on a warm or hot day, then the engine oil will warm up to the temperature of the engine block.

The cooling system is probably running at a similar 102-104c  (its pressurised so will boil at more than 100c), but as metal is a good heat conductor wouldn't expect one part to be significantly different in temperature after few hours

Most specs no longer have analogue oil temperature gauges, and if they do, they size of the font probably means you cant read it that accurately.

Of course if your engine seems to be running a tad hot, I assume you have checked you are not just above the low oil level, or your coolant is low, or grotty and needs flushing

I have drove on a the highway and the ambient temp was around 26 degrees. 

I was driving 130-140KM/h with adaptive tempomat, AC ON, and the oil temp was between 100-105degrees

When I drive to work, the car is above 80-90degrees even before 15miles. So far what I have noticed it takes me less than 7miles to warmp up the engine. 

When I drive to work, I am driving at 80km/h between the cities and 60km/h in the cities. So far I havent noticed the oil temp to go over 92degrees. So I guess it is ok. 

Thank you guys for every info you have posted and explanations it helped a lot to understand, I am quite new to the superb but I want to get better and take a really good care of it :) So as you guys said, it does look normal. But I will take the car to the service and ask them to check and change the oils and coolants so the car is fresh 😉

• Like 1

@Delon1337

I think you are mixing up the Coolant and the Engine Oil temperatures.

Coolant gets up to temp quick to get cold oil to heat up to where it is efficient.

So engine starts and Coolant (Pink stuff) gets warm and then hot and the thermostat opens and the engine oil (engine) heats.

When oil which is also a coolant gets towards being too hot the coolant (Radiator / coolant, cooler. fans) work to cool the Oil / Engine.

*A water pump or 2 & fans will run on after you stop to cool the engine if required.*

?

What age is your car and how many KM covered, and do you check the engine oil level and not just wait for a 'Low Engine OIl' light or message to show?

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I have issues with 2017 superb 2.0L

I have noticed in last few days that my oil temperature is going to 124C . This is not normal as I've never really seen it go above 102C on long journeys. Any suggestions?

I would want to read this with as many sensors as possible, using something like torque or VCDS, and then also over lower vs higher speed stuff. I remember watching mine hit 102-105C on the motorway at 100km/h and 0C ambient. It was colder when it's colder but not with linear regression - -20C saw it stay around 80C, I think. But I tend not to watch it too much. I remember only seeing 110 on the 1.0TSI when pulling a brick of a trailer or with lots of very high rev running on a couple of laps of the ice track. 

Can you track it through a longer trip, say 10-20 miles? I would expect a rampup, with it dropping slightly after 70C (as the oil cooler is opened) and then coming back up, so if you're doing 50mph, I would expect to see a steady 95-100C at 5-10C ambient. If it's immediately really high after start, that would possibly imply a temperature sensor is faulty. Logging with torque or similar would be really useful here. I'm erring towards a faulty sensor.

How many kms does the car have?

Have you also had it scanned? 

4 hours ago, Bob3 said:

116,000kms, no fault showing so haven't had it scanned. It's actually going to 80C after 10km or so and 118C after 25km roughly.

That suggests your coolant system is not working properly, is a thermostat jammed shut or something, or it low on coolant, or need a good flush, or a cooling fan broken

Obviously if the coolant is not cooling properly, the metal engine block will get hotter, and the oil inside it will also get hot.    If you stop after 25km and open the bonnet does it all seem rather too hot.  You should have the cooling fans whirring away at that sort of temperature, are they ?

Thanks for suggestions, .

So I took it far a spin for 15kms and oil temperature went to 114C stopped to see if fan was running but it wasn't. Put on air-conditioning and fan started to run. Don't know what to make of that. Coolant bottle feels piping hot also.

if you leave aircon at 22C and auto, does it hold the temperature? when the car is warm, can you request cold air and it delivers? what about hot?

114 after 15kms is way too warm. SSP403 implies that the temp sensor is at the bottom of the sump, so it should be pretty accurate. I would want to scan sooner rather than later. 

So something weird going on when I tried last suggestion. Set temperature to 22C on auto and seems to be running OK. Upped the temperature to high on both sides but drivers side only go hot. Turned on A/C and turned to low and both side seems cold.

Are you able to open your coolant tank and see if there's a silica bag inside? Is the colour of your coolant ok?

With the heating only coming out on one side I was wondering if you had a possible coolant blockage from the silica bag failing.

• Like 1

So, yes is the answer, I replaced the coolant tank last week as I couldn't see the min-max level anymore as it was all black. Could that cause oil temp to go so high?

@Bob3  Is that 'Overheat'  you mean, and is that the Coolant.

@brettikivihas a question there about oil temperature.   

So what is the story with your car and Oil temp.  Is the coolant indicated temp getting to the 90*oC or so in the time it should for the weather and then your oil getting to 90*oC indicated in the time it should and going up and coming back to that as it should do?

@Bob3 Going up to an indicated 124*oC oil temp is not an issue if the ambient temp is high, the vehicle speed or load is high as long as it drops when you slow down to below 100.

If you are just trucking along at 70 mph / 113 kph on a cool day then maybe that is too high.

Is there fresh oil in and enough of it? 

That the thing really, would oft seen it go 102C and come back down to 90ish but its just climbing and now coming down now. Have the car 2year now and it's only last 2 week this problem has started. If it was throwing up a fault code at least you could start somewhere, but it's not. Frustrating so say the least.