17" Kodiaq steelies on vRS?

Hello,

Has anybody tried if the 17 inch steel wheels from the Kodiaq fit over the vRS front brakes?

They are 6.5Jx17 ET 38, so would take 205/50R17 as the Skoda Crystal winterwheels do.

According to www.willtheyfit.com they fit perfect in terms of the numbers, but will they clear the brakes on the front axle?

Gemini 18" (orange) vs Kodiaq steels (green):

image.png.171b73918fdebb626548eb4397050643.png

Crystal 17" (orange) vs Kodiaq steels (green):

image.png.d15df07763aadc941fcda788c5d9edd7.png

Could be a good solution for the winter. I am going to be getting something to put my winter tyres on and steel wheels would be best. Had taught you couldn't get 17" steel wheels for Skodas though.

mytyres.co.uk 

Steel Rims for Skoda KODIAQ 4X2 1.4 TSI

Your car

Car manufacturer: Skoda  
Car model: KODIAQ 4X2 1.4 TSI  
Car type: NS 1395ccm 110 kW BJ.: 03.2017-  

ALCAR
Rim type 5-hole steel wheel
Size 6½ x 17
Bolt pattern 5 x 112.00 x 57.00
Offset 38.00

Price £ 46.00

17" steel rims will clear the brake calipers on 340mm diameter front discs.

It's not always easy ordering steel rims without tyres from mytyres. If you make a mistake the mytyres website defaults to only allowing ordering a steel rim with a tyre. The workaround is to close the mytyres website/window and start again. Keep closing the mytyres website/window every time you want to enter different car details, then it seems to work ok.  mytyres also have a freephone number shown in the contact section of their website.

mytyres have a freephone number shown on their contact page if you have any problems

Telephone: 0808 1891233 (freephone)
(Monday to Friday from 7 am to 9 pm)

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/Contact.html

Also try oponeo.co.uk for steel rims, but oponeo tend to be more expensive for steel rims than mytyres.co.uk

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

The dealer gave up on trying to get the steelies to work, the imprecise welding on the barrels was too much to deal with after spending/wasting 7 (7!!!) billable hours to file the boogers on the welds down and they still came in contact on the front brakes. Because of the ordeal with my car, they are going to stop selling the 17" steelies to R and GTI owners. They have been fine on most, needing some adjustment on others, but this set was the worst.

They ended up getting me a set of 17' Tiguan Alloys due to my fiasco and having my car for 3 days when it should have been in and out in an hour or less.

Found here: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7220061-Winter-Wheel-with-Performance-Package&p=113826267&viewfull=1#post113826267

So depending on rotor size and welds on the inside...  Not just plug and play.

What size discs would I have? 2017 facelift Octavia RS 230

2 hours ago, brettikivi said:

https://www.oemvwshop.com/5qf601027-03c-steel-rim-black-p313733/ says €74 each.

€91 from a dealer, NORA discount group 3, so 17% discount possible. 

- Bret

The link says 73.69 Euros excluding VAT, so that's 88.43 Euros including 20% VAT. Postage is also extra from Slovakia.

mytyres.co.uk are listing the OEM quality Alcar 6.5Jx17 ET38 steel rims (Alcar are made in Switzerland) for £46.

2 hours ago, Jarno said:

Found here: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7220061-Winter-Wheel-with-Performance-Package&p=113826267&viewfull=1#post113826267

So depending on rotor size and welds on the inside...  Not just plug and play.

What size discs would I have? 2017 facelift Octavia RS 230

That looks like a problem in the US, not the EU.

They may be low quality US made steel rims (or maybe cheap Chinese imports) not OEM quality European made steel rims, especially as the post refers to poor quality welding.

VW/Skoda OEM steel rims and Alcar steel rims (made in Switzerland to OEM specification) will have good quality welding. They will be made in factories with very expensive high technology equipment.

European steel rims that do make it to the US are very expensive because of the high shipping costs. Oponeo for example, don't even ship rims to the US because of the high shipping costs.

Maybe just purchase one steel rim to begin with and see if that fits without rubbing on the front brake calipers. I doubt you will have a problem with quality EU manufactured 17" steel rims clearing 340mm diameter front discs.

Skoda Octavia MK3 RS 230HP will probably have 340mm front discs. It's easy enough to make up a cardboard gauge out of an old breakfast cereal packet to check the diameter of your front discs. The next size down is 312mm and there is no bigger size than 340mm on the Octavia MK3, so if it looks close to 340mm, it will be 340mm.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

@Carlston with a quality post right there! 

Never heard of US getting inferior quality rims? I just thought they got wheels like we do, I think that guy on VWVortex even mentioned the same part number?

Getting one wheel is what I would like to do yes, might just ask the local dealer how much they would charge.

The base model Tiguan in Germany comes with 6.5x17 ET38 steelies. They clear my PP brakes.

From https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7220061-Winter-Wheel-with-Performance-Package&p=113819905&viewfull=1#post113819905

He's from Germany, check the plate on the GTI

a9a09203643a71c2dcfccbda6b83f158.jpg

06087b007661283fcd3626055684e7a5.webp

Edited by Jarno

1 hour ago, Jarno said:

@Carlston with a quality post right there!

Getting one wheel is what I would like to do yes, might just ask the local dealer how much they would charge.

As you're in Belgium, you might want to look at the Belgium version of mytyres for steel rims.

https://www.123pneus.be/cgi-bin/skw.pl?dsco=118&s_p=Jantes-en-acier&sowigan=felgen&Hersteller=Skoda&PKWtyp=KODIAQ+4X2+1.4+TSI&PKWtypgenau=%3A523113%3A%3A1395%3A92%3A201703%3A++++++%3A57.00%3A112.00%3A5%3ANS++++++++++++++++++%3A%3AO%3AE8*2007%2F46*0249*..++

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

Just to throw this into the mix....

You're talking about changing the tyre size from 225mm wide to 205mm wide.

Are you declaring this to your insurance company?

Given that you're reducing the contact area with the road by 10% via using aftermarket parts you may find you have issues if you have an accident especially if the accident is can be attributed to you having less than sufficient grip.

4 hours ago, Alex-W said:

Just to throw this into the mix....

You're talking about changing the tyre size from 225mm wide to 205mm wide.

Are you declaring this to your insurance company?

Given that you're reducing the contact area with the road by 10% via using aftermarket parts you may find you have issues if you have an accident especially if the accident is can be attributed to you having less than sufficient grip.

According to the owner's manual, 205/50R17 is one of the standard tyre sizes on the Octavia MK3, including the RS model. Scroll down to page 282.

https://ws.skoda-auto.com/OwnersManualService/Data/en/Octavia_5E/07-2019/Manual/Octavia/A7_Octavia_OwnersManual.pdf?_ga=2.207813778.1455114053.1592821093-1ee510f7-a384-43a2-b916-066588a92e7b

Edited by Carlston

Fair enough.  I guess if you can ensure that you're also following the handbook and not driving in temps over 7 degrees (as it says to swap back) then you're following their instructions.

Although I suspect that you're supposed to tell the insurance company anyway.   

Easy way to find out..  next time you speak to them say 'hi, if I change my tyres to ones that are thinner, have a compound that when over 7degC is inferior to the OEM supplied one and is fitted to wheels of a different type and value that ultimately changes what you need to replace if my car is damaged or stolen...  do you need to know?'  🤣

4 hours ago, Alex-W said:

Fair enough.  I guess if you can ensure that you're also following the handbook and not driving in temps over 7 degrees (as it says to swap back) then you're following their instructions.

Although I suspect that you're supposed to tell the insurance company anyway.   

Easy way to find out..  next time you speak to them say 'hi, if I change my tyres to ones that are thinner, have a compound that when over 7degC is inferior to the OEM supplied one and is fitted to wheels of a different type and value that ultimately changes what you need to replace if my car is damaged or stolen...  do you need to know?'  🤣

It's probably better to discuss this on a "What counts as a modification for the purposes of car insurance" thread".

Many people buy secondhand cars and won't know what aftermarket parts have been fitted. Even if they have owned their car from new, if they haven't serviced and repaired their car themselves, they can't be sure that all the replacement parts are exactly to original specification. Not only that, but many aftermarket parts such as Bilstein B4 shock absorbers, are sold to replace more than one OEM part number so are unlikely to be identical replacements. Parts such as shock absorbers, suspension springs, brake discs, brake pads, and rims. Ultimately, it will be for the UK courts to decide what is a material or significant difference. If it was left to insurance companies, it would be all too easy for them to wriggle out of all claims.

If you bother your car insurance company too much for silly things, I would expect them to either cancel your insurance or apply a hefty excess for wasting their time. Not only that, but I'm not sure someone you spoke to from your insurance company would even have the expertise to judge what a UK court would deem significant or material. I even heard of insurance companies in the UK charging extra for fitting winter tyres on their car in the winter. Apparently, some thought this was a modification and charged extra although their trade body have now told them not to be so silly as this made their car safer and the type of people who fit winter tyres in the winter are more safety conscious and therefore less likely to have an accident.

Anyhow, I expect informing your insurance company of a modification would go something like this...I've just fitted new improved wiper blades and new improved headlight bulbs to my car so that I can see the road more clearly. Insurance company...it sounds like you have modified your car, so we are going to charge you an excess and cancel your policy. We will also blacklist you so that you can't get insurance anywhere else!

Edited by Carlston

^^ that would be why there are CE certifications. And E marked bulbs and blades. If they're not E-marked, the insurance company can do this, at least in some jurisdictions, I suspect including the UK.

- Bret

On 21/06/2020 at 20:37, Carlston said:

The link says 73.69 Euros excluding VAT, so that's 88.43 Euros including 20% VAT. Postage is also extra from Slovakia.

mytyres.co.uk are listing the OEM quality Alcar 6.5Jx17 ET38 steel rims (Alcar are made in Switzerland) for £46.

Nininet gives the *list price* which is valid for German dealers and therefore mostly online. NORA groups specify the discounts available and therefore normally the lowest pricing for the actual OEM part rather than an "OEM Quality" one.

- Bret

• 1 month later...

ID3 configurator is online, and the base wheels are 18" steelies 🤔 😄

Question is, what bolt pattern, what offset, what hub diameter... 

20200728_204825.jpg

4 hours ago, Jarno said:

ID3 configurator is online, and the base wheels are 18" steelies 🤔 😄

Question is, what bolt pattern, what offset, what hub diameter... 

20200728_204825.jpg

wheel-size.com has the following information on the VW ID.3

Volkswagen  ID.3  2020  Wheel fitment guide

Please, note: highlighted items are for OEM wheels

Tire   Rim   Bolt pattern        
EV 201hp 215/55R18 7.5Jx18 5x112    
  215/50R19 7.5Jx19 ET50 5x112    
  215/45R20 7.5Jx20 5x112    

So it looks like the offset for the 18" rims will be around ET50. However, wheel-size.com do often make mistakes so check with other sources.

I expect the hub centre bore will be 57.1mm like most VW group cars.

The online parts catalogue for the Skoda Octavia MK3 lists 7.5Jx17 rims with an offset of ET51, 7.5Jx18 rims with an offset of ET51, and 7.5Jx19 rims with an offset of ET51.

I suspect the VW ID.3 18" steel rims will have a similar offset.

Skoda Octavia MK3 17" Alloy Rims

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601070/part_id/2543668/lang/e

Skoda Octavia MK3 18" Alloy Rims

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601080/part_id/2543668/lang/e

Skoda Octavia MK3 19" Alloy Rims

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601090/part_id/2543668/lang/e

Edited by Carlston