Surprise first MOT failure

Surprised to receive a call from the dealer saying my Fabia Estate had failed its first MOT because of the passenger side front light being out of adjustment, which transpired a left hand drive lamp had been fitted to a right hand drive car and there was not enough adjustment on that to get it within UK tolerances!

I await confirmation that this is a warranty issue!

7 hours ago, 60022Mallard said:

Surprised to receive a call from the dealer saying my Fabia Estate had failed its first MOT because of the passenger side front light being out of adjustment, which transpired a left hand drive lamp had been fitted to a right hand drive car and there was not enough adjustment on that to get it within UK tolerances!

Sounds like someone put the wrong fitting in at the factory!

15 hours ago, 60022Mallard said:

Did you buy this car new from a Skoda dealership in UK?

Skoda UK have a few cars from their internal car schemes, for example for their staff at Milton Keynes. Our previous one was from MK, on a KX plate (actually Grimsby where they import them I believe). Usually only 6 months old but maybe they'd had it a while. Hard to believe the automated headlamp setting on the production line passed it though!

It is not a surprise really that a car should fail it's first MOT because of Headlight alignment.

Cars leave the production line and arrive in the UK and get a PDI and even if serviced 3 times before the MOT the headlights are never checked until a MOT.

Many of the nearly new cars you see with badly adjusted headlights are the ones that will fail at a UK MOT.

'Vosprung Durch Technik'.  Why do Dealership staff and the DVSA not tell the manufacturers, and their bosses?

15 minutes ago, 60022Mallard said:

rum4mo

No and yes!

I bought it second hand from a Skoda dealership, who bought it in from Skoda UK as far as I know. When I said I could not afford a new one they said "Skoda" had a couple of 1 year old cars if I was interested.

I only asked that question in case it was bought second hand and the first owner hit something and found a bice cheap source for a used but still okay headlight, and was not too bothered about if it was RHD or LHD as they were handing it back in, but it does not sound like that at all, what you have hopefully is a lot easier to get sorted out FOC than that would have been.

The thing is with any 'Ex Management car' which is really going to be an Ex Demonstrator, Courtesy car or employee perk for 3,000 miles / 3 months is they can get damaged while someone drives them and they just get cheaply fixed and handed back which can mean a part bought off ebay being wrong.

Gulp!

Now to look for a date code, both sides should have similar manufacture date codes, though I'd be leaving that to the supplying Skoda dealership.

Sorted under warranty, but I wonder how I might have got on if the vehicle had not come second hand from Skoda and I did not stick with the dealer I bought it from for servicing and first MOT. The two I were offered were just about a year old with 13,000 or so on the clock, so both had been "busy".

The part number would have confirmed if it was indeed a LHD fitment or perhaps an internal problem.

My UK RHD 1995 Ford Galaxy, one of the first off the production line from Automotive Europa in Portugal, was fitted with LHD headlights, I expect all the others were as well till they sorted out their ****.