MK3 Octavia VRS TSI 2013-2016, Reliable?

Hello Everyone,

Some of you may already know me on here, I have previously owned 3 x MK1 Fabia VRS's and have been on the Forum for a good number of Years now.

Just toying with idea's at the moment but I sold my Stage 1 Golf R DSG in early 2017 to have a bit of a break from running Performance Cars as Daily Drivers and bought an Immaculate MK1 Fabia VRS, I had that Car for 3 Years and sold it in January this Year to a friend but I have never been truly happy with its replacement and so I have began looking for something else.

One of the Cars I am considering buying is a MK3 Octavia VRS TSI 2013-2016 Model, I have to admit I was never struck on the styling when they initially released the MK3 but as time has gone on they have really grown on me but I don't know a great deal about them or what to look for in terms of Reliability, Common problems etc???

I have been looking at the market and have quickly realised that the vast majority have the 184BHP Diesel and the Petrol TSI's are few and far between but I only do about 6000 Miles per Year on average and think I will get more enjoyment out of the Petrol Variant plus there is the option to go for a Stage 1 Map too at a later date if I find I want a bit more Performance which from reading yields around the 300BHP Mark?

I have read that many People rate the Facelift 2017 onwards Car with the Split Headlights and say its a much better Car and even though my budget would stretch that far sadly I cannot get on with the Styling so an earlier 2013-2016 Pre-Facelift Car is what I would be after.

Hopefully I would be after something like this...

Saloon or Estate.
Manual Gearbox.
Ideally as late a Model as I can get.
Red, Blue, Grey or White.
Sub 40K Miles with Full History.

18" Factory Alloys.
Standard Car, Although I would possibly look at getting a Sensible, Clutch Friendly Stage 1 Map I am not into going daft with the Modifications....I have a 200BHP Suzuki Hayabusa as a Toy so don't need to chase BHP in my Car.

Ideally from a Main Skoda Dealership for a 12 Months Warranty

My Questions are...

1. Are the Service Intervals are similar to the earlier VAG Cars with Longlife or Interval options? I prefer Cars that are Serviced every 12 Months personally.
2. Any Water Pump Issues as with the 184BHP TDI Variant that I have read about?
3. On the earlier TFSI Engines upto 2012 there were a handful or Revised Parts such as Diverter Valves, Cam Followers & PCV Valves that are know to fail and can be replaced for the latest revision items, Are there any similar issues on these later TSI Petrols?

4. Any Timing Chain Tensioner issues like on the earlier 2009-2012 Octavia VRS TSI?
5. Any optional extra's that are worth having? I like Cruise but I presume that is a Standard Item on the VRS anyway?
6. I like my Music and so what Factory Head Unit/Sound System is the best option?

I always buy my Cars on Condition and Mileage and have forfeited Spec or Optional Extra's over the Years but I am hoping I can find something that has been looked after like I do with all my Cars.

Cheers in advance.

1. You can do it every 12, this is my program. Edge Titanium 0w-20

2. Never had any issue

3. This is new engine EA888 Gen 3

4. Never heard

5. Leather electric seats, VAQ, DCC

6. Canton is better option, but default is also okay, I have never seen anything but these 2 

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Just beware that the early mk3 VRS' are lower spec. 

I've one of the first batch, while a customer at my work has one 2 years younger, and despite both being VRS' his has far more I presume came as standard.

6. Later years for better sound system that has more punch I would suggest. I have March  2016 SEL diesel. Friend at work had an Elegance think that was 2013 -2015 with Columbus (Hdd version) head and spent  £450 on sub install in the boot to get any bass out of it utter rubbish fronts and tweeters, I have the Amundsen and he came for a ride and was shocked how much better it was over his earlier car.  Simple enough to change front speakers and tweeters if it's still not quite good enough. There is a mod for the tweeter that drops the mid frequencies coming through that can make them rattle (I've had that when real loud)  Rears still ain't great but I don't sit there! 

• Like 1

I got a facelift as the interior is so much nicer, it's newer and I find the styling of the PFL too plain. I like how the FL stands out a bit, as they're not the most exciting car styling wise, let's be honest! But that's kinda why I got the Octavia over a Cupra/GTi, already had one car pinched, wasn't a fun experience.

1. Every 12 months I believe
2. Mine's been replaced 2 times now under warranty - believe the pump was done by previous owner, but then the housing leaked slightly while I had it so had that done about 4 months ago
3. Not aware of any issues, this is a 3rd gen Ea888 so hopefully little issues like that all ironed out

4. As above
5. Defo worth getting winter pack (heated screen/seats) - they were a must for me. Also got the half leather/alcantara not cloth or the naff full leathers they do. Spare wheel kit I managed to blag later but the proper kit is £200 quid so worth bargaining in. I believe DCC is really good so that'd be great if can find one with it but seems rare. 
6. I have the canton and it's ok, definitely wouldn't have paid a premium for it though, so dread to think what the non canton stereo sounds like! Also with it being a FL it has the bigger screen and nicer multimedia

I general, I picked mine as they are a really reliable and proven engine in all sorts of different cars. So cheap parts, wealth of knowledge blah blah.

Great on fuel for a 2.0T

Has enough performance for road

Came with warranty

Loads of space in either hatch or estate (for baby stuff)

Great seats and interior on the FL

The other choices were:

Cupra - would get stolen

308 Gti - rapid but expensive brakes, stupid fake sound that you can't turn off, still feels like a peugeot of old (flimsy), engine is a bit hit and miss reliability wise

BMW 328i - quite rare it seemed so was hard to find and therefore would've been expensive to repair etc

Golf GTi - out of my price range, also - would get robbed

Think the Octavia is a brilliant all rounder, but I wouldn't say it's a performance car, it's more a sensible run of the mill, 'vanilla car' that has a great base for tuning potential if you want it and also in standard guise isn't boring like all other alternatives.

The TSi is a bit of a Q car in that respect, exactly what I was after this time.

• Thanks 1

I settled on the Pre-FL 2017 model.

It was the right price for me for the performance.

It definitely looks plain. Very unassuming, even with the black pack (which doesn't stand out because I have the grey colour)

Not much of a head-turner.

The interior is practical, yet not an eye-opener. 

That's precisely what I was happy with.

The basic body looks great to me but I don't want to attract attention for it to be a target.

Nevertheless, the thing also packs so much power that it's overkill for our suburban roads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SkodaAsh said:

It definitely looks plain. Very unassuming, even with the black pack (which doesn't stand out because I have the grey colour)

The basic body looks great to me but I don't want to attract attention for it to be a target.

Nevertheless, the thing also packs so much power that it's overkill for our suburban roads.

Definitely. I've put a full intake on mine, and bought a JB4 for it, so it'll be close to 300 after this. Not sure why I bought it though, it's quick and powerful enough as it is to be honest. Part of me thinks I should just leave it.

4 hours ago, DC04R said:

I got a facelift as the interior is so much nicer, it's newer and I find the styling of the PFL too plain. I like how the FL stands out a bit, as they're not the most exciting car styling wise, let's be honest! But that's kinda why I got the Octavia over a Cupra/GTi, already had one car pinched, wasn't a fun experience.

1. Every 12 months I believe
2. Mine's been replaced 2 times now under warranty - believe the pump was done by previous owner, but then the housing leaked slightly while I had it so had that done about 4 months ago
3. Not aware of any issues, this is a 3rd gen Ea888 so hopefully little issues like that all ironed out

4. As above
5. Defo worth getting winter pack (heated screen/seats) - they were a must for me. Also got the half leather/alcantara not cloth or the naff full leathers they do. Spare wheel kit I managed to blag later but the proper kit is £200 quid so worth bargaining in. I believe DCC is really good so that'd be great if can find one with it but seems rare. 
6. I have the canton and it's ok, definitely wouldn't have paid a premium for it though, so dread to think what the non canton stereo sounds like! Also with it being a FL it has the bigger screen and nicer multimedia

I general, I picked mine as they are a really reliable and proven engine in all sorts of different cars. So cheap parts, wealth of knowledge blah blah.

Great on fuel for a 2.0T

Has enough performance for road

Came with warranty

Loads of space in either hatch or estate (for baby stuff)

Great seats and interior on the FL

The other choices were:

Cupra - would get stolen

308 Gti - rapid but expensive brakes, stupid fake sound that you can't turn off, still feels like a peugeot of old (flimsy), engine is a bit hit and miss reliability wise

BMW 328i - quite rare it seemed so was hard to find and therefore would've been expensive to repair etc

Golf GTi - out of my price range, also - would get robbed

Think the Octavia is a brilliant all rounder, but I wouldn't say it's a performance car, it's more a sensible run of the mill, 'vanilla car' that has a great base for tuning potential if you want it and also in standard guise isn't boring like all other alternatives.

The TSi is a bit of a Q car in that respect, exactly what I was after this time.

Cheers for that, Ultimately Styling is the thing that puts me off the FL 2017 Onwards Cars... I really dislike the front end and split Headlights with a passion "No Disrespect to any FL Owners on here" and don't think I could live with it regardless of how good the Car is.

I have looked at other options but as a package there are not too many similar sized Cars that offer what the Octavia VRS has and the TSI PFL 2013-2016 Cars seem to tick all the right Boxes for me! The Q Car part and generally Plain Styling I like the most as I have Owned Volvo 850R Estates many Years ago so that part appeals, I do have a very good budget but I am reluctant to spend more than around £15K as its essentially going to be a Daily Driver but also something I can have the occasional bit of fun in that is comfortable with decent Boot space and need Reliability as I work Unsociable Hours on Shifts. I drive from Sheffield to Peterborough once a Month to spend time with some Family so do the odd trip down the A1.

Ultimately I am not expecting to be blown away with an Octavia Performance wise but I would imagine its pretty adequate and flexible, I have been running 130BHP Daily's for the past 3 Years and not really wanted for more BHP and to be honest the VRS TDI Variant would be ideal but I just don't do the Mileage to Warrant having another Diesel. I wont be going down the Tuning route with it as I have done that many times before and in the end used to find my 320BHP MK6 Golf R DSG a bit boring at times and lusted for more BHP this is One reason I gave up Hot Hatches in 2017 and now have a Modified Suzuki Hayabusa with over 200BHP as a Toy....Things don't get much quicker than that LOL.

I also don't want anything that attracts too much attention for the reasons you have already mentioned and that rules out a MK7 Golf GTI, A Work Colleague has One and he is paranoid about Front Bumper Theft and indeed the Theft of the Car itself. I know of many MK7 Golf R's that have been stolen on the Owners Club.

I am really picky too 🤣 and have a bit of OCD when it comes to buying Cars and their Condition.

The Water Pump issue is probably the only thing that puts me off.

I really appreciate your input though!

1 hour ago, SkodaAsh said:

Thanks for your reply,

All very relevant Points and reasons which attract me to wanting to but One.

Hi mate, I was in a similar position to you and thought I’d share my experience. My budget was smaller so I got a 2014 VRS for similar reasons, decent fuel economy, big boot and loads of space in the back. I think it’s quick enough for every day use. I’ve owned a Leon 280 and a golf R, both are great cars but they noticeably smaller inside. The golf in particular gave me the fear of being stolen, they are a magnet for car thieves. I don’t think you’d be disappointed in the vrs performance 

• Like 1

On 02/07/2020 at 19:21, paulski said:

6. Later years for better sound system that has more punch I would suggest. I have March  2016 SEL diesel. Friend at work had an Elegance think that was 2013 -2015 with Columbus (Hdd version) head and spent  £450 on sub install in the boot to get any bass out of it utter rubbish fronts and tweeters, I have the Amundsen and he came for a ride and was shocked how much better it was over his earlier car.  Simple enough to change front speakers and tweeters if it's still not quite good enough. There is a mod for the tweeter that drops the mid frequencies coming through that can make them rattle (I've had that when real loud)  Rears still ain't great but I don't sit there! 

I second this having recently written off my 2014 l+k now have a sel octavia estate and sound is far superior😯