Timing belt

49 minutes ago, toot said:

Oil & Filter with the DQ250.

& those with 1.4 tsi PHEV's might have the question coming on their DQ400-e & no Filter. Well a filter but it will not be getting done.

Now on Mk4 vRS with a VAQ (Front Diff) they are getting told @ 2 years if getting told. It was @ 3 years / 30,000  miles. 

There will be plenty out there FMDSH and not done.

Skoda / VW / SEAT / Audi Approved used cars, not serviced to recommendations, guidelines, schedules or to any actual regime by Dealership Staff often with little of a clue or bothering to learn.

That way customers can be treated as Mushrooms. Kept in the dark and feed Sh!te.

1967968741_Screenshot2021-07-28at14_13_28 (2).webp

Oh!! This is truly helpful, even though the thread isn't about the DSG oil change. They have mentioned prices for labour (106.37), Seal ring (4.88) and Gear oil (96.10). But there is no mention of a filter. Should I be worried about this? Should I get some other garage to get the filter also replaced? The current mileage is 65011 and I plan to anyway do a DSG oil change at 80K miles. Can I wait until that, or should I change the filter before that? :)

I have the EA211 1,2 TSI (105 HP) in my 2015 Octavia III with now about 70000 km and started to wonder about if I should worry about the cam belt. I did remember that when I when I bought the car that the dealer stated the cam belt was good for the life of the car.

I found the maintenance documentation referenced also further up where no time limit or mileage limit for cam belt replacement is given. I approached the local Skoda dealership and asked if the factory has changed its view on this and maybe has introduced a recommendation for belt replacement. They checked and replied that the belt is still considered to be for the entire life of the car.

I tried to find any indication on the internet that someone had a belt failing in such engine but did not find anything. In comparison, the timing chain problems of the EA111 are all over the place.

If Skoda would experience cam belts failing on these engines, I would think they would via their dealer network recommend to replace the belts. This would generate revenue for the factory and the dealerships and avoid possible ****storms and reputational damage that might hit them if cam belt fail despite the manufacturer stating that they will not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So after decades VW source belts that last for ever.  Vorsprung Durch Technik.   No more timing chain issues as all that far back as Euro 5.    So all they need now are life time tensioners and bearings.   If everything was as reliable as a VW what a mess the world would be in.  PS So once cars / engines get to 8 years old we will get to know how 8 year old cam belts are doing.   We will remember that VW group discontinued these reliable engines and replaced with 1.0 TSI, euro 6 and with GPF. We are waiting to see how these are after 5 years.  People are now getting timing belts changed on these and 1.5 TSI,s. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Not quite sure I understand what you are trying to say. If people get timing belts changed does not mean that the belts needed to be changed.

If you could point me to a documented case where a timing belt (or tensioner for that matter) on a EA211 1,2 TSI has failed, I'd be grateful.

• Like 1

It is not rocket science. Someone in Germany or any VW office do not know who drives the cars where.  MK2 Fabia came out with VW engines and fixed service codes, the VW,s with the same engines were variable codes. A year later Skoda changed to variable.   Brake fluid changes were at 2 years then each 2 years, then changed to 3 then each 2 years.  Now Skoda are showing first at 2 years again.   Haldex was at 4 years 40,000 miles, then 3 years / 30,000 miles. Even that can be too long.   VAQ was at 3 years / 30,000 miles, now Skoda dealership staff are saying @ 2 years / 20,000 miles.   Things change, global climate, stop / start usage etc.     So once VW group decide that engines in an Audi, VW, Skoda or Seat are needing the same Servicing let me know.   Or a dealership master tech might do that.   Ps. Read the tech stuff.  Inspection of belts and when recommended. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

What is the life of a car? i doubt anyone with a 10yr TSi and 130k would have a claim against Skoda if the chain broke & the car would have reached the end of its life.....

It cost £380 to do the belt and water pump on my Octavia tdi  (independent VW garage) around the cost of a set of tyres and will do another 100k.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

You seem to be asking for a black/white answer which is impossible since the vehicle usage and maintenance patterns vary enormously from country to country and driver to driver.

It's all about acceptable level of risk for both the company and the individual:

- the company (VAG) only care about two things, costs of a failure during the warranty period and reputation damage of a failure outside of the warranty period from following the 'lifetime' advice. BTW ask any engineer what 'lifetime' means and they will tell you 'until it breaks', so in reality 'lifetime' means nothing.

- however owners care about the potential for a big bill for an engine rebuild/replacement in the event of a cambelt failure that will not be covered, or partly paid for, by VAG for not following their advice on replacement.

Those lead to completely different levels of risk assessment. Personally I chose to follow the guidance of Skoda UK to change the cambelt at 5 years because I simply do not have the finances to cover the costs of a cambelt failure and I am risk averse, so I wanted to shift the risk to VAG by following their servicing advice. Other people will take a different view of the risk based on their finances and/or their attitude to risk.

I was not after a black or white answer. My point was rather that if I can not find any indication of a failed cambelt in the engine type I have anywhere and Skoda as manufacturer still maintains that the belt does not need changing even they loose revenue and have a reputational risk by doing so, then for the time being I tend to believe they might be right.

"Lifetime" in this respect I would understand that it is to be expected that the belt will not fail before the engine is worn out or other major engine components have failed. The fact that they suggest that the belt is first inspected at 210000km indicates that they expect the belt to last at least that long. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Skoda do not manufacture belts.  They might not even have built the engines.

The thing is if you want to go by what they suggest then do that.  But be sure who is suggesting what and when and where.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/458348-timing-belt/page/3

Scaremongers. 

http://www.munichwest.com/2020/01/10/solve-your-volkswagens-timing-belt-problems-in-decatur

http://volksmasterltd.co.uk/what-you-must-know-about-cambelt-replacement

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

On 27/11/2021 at 19:04, adg1 said:

Possibly, but something isn't quite right here, my cam belt was close to falling apart after 100k, yet others look like new after similar miles,

Did you see it with your own eyes or are you going on what the garage said?

If you did see a frayed belt do you really know that it came off of your vehicle?