Bought the new Skoda Octavia mk4 1.5 TSI (6 speed manual)

Hi Folks!

First thread here.

A week ago I bought the new Skoda Octavia mk4. Lava blue, 1.5 TSI and 6 speed manual.

So far so good. 

The ride quality is excellent. A HUGE difference, compared to the previous model.  The materials, sound insulation, everything is top notch.

So...220 miles (100 highway :D) and I have two complaints:

- The Start/Stop system stopped working yesterday evening. 

- That stupid Skoda Connect thing, I cannot figure it out :) and I have an advanced degree in IT. So clearly they are doing something wrong.

So this Start/Stop system - the system displays that there is an error. It was working fine till yesterday. 

I start the car, nothing. No warnings nothing.

I get driving, and after it warms up, and I get to a traffic light instead of turning the car off - it says "Error Start/Stop system" and on the infotainment  - Sorry, this feature is currently unavailble.

So, planning to reach my dealer tomorrow.

I have had this car for a week, and I have to call the dealer?

That is a shaky start.

Thank god I bought the extended 5 years warranty :)

I have read the forum topics here. I went for a long drive, but nothing. It didn't fix it.

The fuel consumption is excellent though. 43MPG city driving with the A/C on and without the S/S system :)  though not so heavy traffic.

With heavy traffic I managed 38MPG (35*C, A/C on, bumper to bumper and Start/Stop ...working :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One question how large are your alloys and what tyre brand/ size are fitted (17" 225/45) to help others with your praise of the ride. All early cars of a new model rather than Skoda call them First Edition might make sense to calll them Guinea Pig instead because you will iron out any issues/problems for future customers.:hi: Welcome to the forum from shy BTW.:thumbup:

5 minutes ago, golfhp said:

Did you notice some issues during cold start?
Did you notice vibration during 2-cylinder mode between 1400-1600 rpm?
Which is software version of your ECU?

I am currently at the dealership as I type. Waiting on the outcome. No vibration when it is on two cylinder mode. Everything is smooth. Smooth start. Smooth driving. 

I will try. Though I am waiting at the reception. The service is a "No go" area for clients 😏 But so far I can see that they are scratching their heads. They took the car twice for a test drive. Opened up the bonnet. 😁 

2 minutes ago, OctaviaMK4 said:

Pokušat ću. Iako čekam na recepciji. Usluga je za klijente područje "ne ide" 😏 Ali do sada vidim da se grebe po glavi. Dvaput su vozili automobil na probnu vožnju. Otvorio poklopac. 😁 

👍

7 minutes ago, golfhp said:

👍

The only feedback I got was that

"They have re-coded (apparently some kind of a change the system), so now it works." If the issue persists I need to get back.

A bit stingy with the technical explanation.

So I reckon they did a factory reset, possibly they have updated something. We will see how the car will react. 

2 hours ago, OctaviaMK4 said:

I will try. Though I am waiting at the reception. The service is a "No go" area for clients 😏 But so far I can see that they are scratching their heads. They took the car twice for a test drive. Opened up the bonnet. 😁 

The stop/start feature on both my 2019 Superb and my wife's 2018 Karoq works after less than 1km all the time.

Good news.

They figured out what the problem was but they did not share any information. They also said that they have the logs and if the problem appears again they will reach out to Skoda directly. 

The start/stop on the way back worked flawlessly. 

Since this was a software fix, I reckon some data is not calibrated correctly from the factory. Reading through this forum I can tell that a lot of parameters are taken into consideration that impact the performance of the S/S system.

It took the service 2 hours to work it out and several test drives.

So one thing that you can take out from this:

- It is a software fix. They have a glitch from the factory.

That is the downside when you get a brand new model. Hopefully this will be it :) and no more visits to the dealership.

• Thanks 1

On 21/07/2020 at 19:08, OctaviaMK4 said:

That is the downside when you get a brand new model. Hopefully this will be it :) and no more visits to the dealership.

Yes, indeed. Mine will apparently get a software update soon, and they will replace the key fobs and the fog lights(!) for some reason.

Anyway, congrats on your new car - I'm very pleased with my MK4 and ride quality is very, very good even on 18" wheels.

Welcome, Glad overall you like the car waiting for the vrs option to come out myself.

The stop start could be as you mentioned one of the parameters not within the range to allow stop start to work.

I would say that 90% of the time that the info display should tell you which one is not within tolerance. Simple things like air con can stop it from working.

The other 10% I would say is the battery, as you have just picked the vehicle up the battery voltage could be low. While scanning the vehicle I would have hopped they would connect a battery conditioner to the vehicle this could have put enough charge in the vehicle to remedy the problem without them realizing.

On 24/07/2020 at 21:16, Anders74 said:

Yes, indeed. Mine will apparently get a software update soon, and they will replace the key fobs and the fog lights(!) for some reason.

Anyway, congrats on your new car - I'm very pleased with my MK4 and ride quality is very, very good even on 18" wheels.

Really? I was not reached by Skoda about that. Hopefully they will notify me. Just reply to this thread so I will know when you are booked for an update. I will have to talk with my dealer.

On 26/07/2020 at 05:26, Busamad said:

Welcome, Glad overall you like the car waiting for the vrs option to come out myself.

The stop start could be as you mentioned one of the parameters not within the range to allow stop start to work.

I would say that 90% of the time that the info display should tell you which one is not within tolerance. Simple things like air con can stop it from working.

The other 10% I would say is the battery, as you have just picked the vehicle up the battery voltage could be low. While scanning the vehicle I would have hopped they would connect a battery conditioner to the vehicle this could have put enough charge in the vehicle to remedy the problem without them realizing.

The thing is that could be the case. But I took the car from the dealer and drove for 2 hours on the motorway the next day.

Since the issue, there was one short incident Error with the Start/Stop,  but then it resolved itself when I restarted the car and it still works. I am waiting for it to happen again and I will report the issue.

I have more issues with the infotaiment ( I got the 8.5' ) connecting to my Skoda app. The dealer says Skoda has issues with SE Europe using this app. I don't understand why they would have those issue, but yeah.

I get all the info about mileage, driving data when I am next to the car, but not when I am home.

The car is in a parking lot in my apartment building. So maybe connectivity issues...I don't know.

Also, I have noticed I cannot lock/unlock the car. I get a notification that I should send my driver's license to the Skoda Dealership. I rang them to ask them about this, ...they haven't heard of such a thing :D I sent them screenshots and they are scratching their heads.

Monthy Python...but OK those are minor things. Gadets and stuff.

Other than that, the car is great.

Runs smoothly, the 2-cyl mode is doing a great job on the consumption.

Quiet ride (I was surprised). I owned a VW Passat B6 wagon that had a nice quiet ride, and this can easily compare with it.

Pulls nicely, though I don't stress out the engine as it is brand new, maybe after 5000 Km, I will stretch her legs to the rev counter a bit :D

On 21/07/2020 at 00:26, shyVRS245 said:

One question how large are your alloys and what tyre brand/ size are fitted (17" 225/45) to help others with your praise of the ride. All early cars of a new model rather than Skoda call them First Edition might make sense to calll them Guinea Pig instead because you will iron out any issues/problems for future customers.:hi: Welcome to the forum from shy BTW.:thumbup:

On mk4 its

205/60-16 

205/55-17 

225/45-18

3 hours ago, Nissen82 said:

On mk4 its

205/60-16 

205/55-17 

225/45-18

That explains quite a bit about refinement improvements with higher profile tyres part of the new suspension ideas on the Mk4 plus narrower tyres than before to reduce drag and improve fuel consumption but unfortunately they decided to save weight by making the fuel tank smaller again so the range is probably smaller compared to the Mk3.

3 minutes ago, OctaviaMK4 said:

Yeah the fuel tank I think is around 60 liters. But the mpg is quite good so you get a decent milage out of a fuel tank of petrol.

I thought the new model was more like 45 litres? The 4 x 4 Octavia Mk3 had a 55 litre capacity yet front wheel drive models had 50 litres. Same with Karoq front wheel drive 50 litres and 4WD 55 litres.

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I thought the new model was more like 45 litres? The 4 x 4 Octavia Mk3 had a 55 litre capacity yet front wheel drive models had 50 litres. Same with Karoq front wheel drive 50 litres and 4WD 55 litres.

That's correct, mine's 45 litres.

• Thanks 1

On 27/07/2020 at 10:30, OctaviaMK4 said:
On 24/07/2020 at 21:16, Anders74 said:

Really? I was not reached by Skoda about that. Hopefully they will notify me. Just reply to this thread so I will know when you are booked for an update. I will have to talk with my dealer.

I guess they'll fix this in a couple of weeks; spare parts are ordered. Will let you know!

1 hour ago, Anders74 said:

I guess they'll fix this in a couple of weeks; spare parts are ordered. Will let you know!

One other thing happened today

I got two error messages for my DRL lights.

After I locked the car for 5 mins I got back again, the error was gone.

Btw the DRL were working.

Screenshot_2020-07-28-19-07-04-618_cz.skodaauto.connect.jpg

Edited by OctaviaMK4

Ok folks

Went to the dealer today. They found out that the DRL lost connection for a split of a second and hence the above issue.

Anyways they reported this to Skoda directly.

Also, I have had some Skoda Connectivity issues.

It turns out the issue is in the entire VAG brand.

They have tested the same on a brand spanking new VW Golf Mk8 which is in the dealership as a demo vehicle and they had the same connectivity issues. So this has been reported back to Wolfsburg as well.

These small gremlins are throughout the lineup. I would expect the same issues in the Seat as well.

On the bright side, they are very very supportive (the dealership) here in Macedonia.

They are always available, they are calling me if everything is fine and apologizing for the minor inconveniences. 

Which is surprising in this part of the World :)) but Skoda is the number 1 brand here together with KIA so, they have to be considerate.

• Like 3

Big discounts already

Shadow
Drive the Deal

SEE OUR SPECIAL OFFERS PAGE FOR STOCK DEALS, MORE CARS ADDED DAILY

DEAL OF THE MONTH
SAVE £5,230
Shadow

DEAL OF THE WEEK
SAVE £13,795
Shadow

Audi A3 Sportback 35 TFSI S line * (new model)   £25,594   Save 9.5%  
  Audi S4 Avant TDI Quattro 5dr Tiptronic *   £41,680   Save 16%  
  Audi A4 Saloon 35 TFSI Technik *   £24,274   Save 22%  
  Audi A5 Cabriolet 40 TFSI S Line S Tronic *   £36,623   Save 20%  
  Audi S5 Coupe TDI Quattro Edition 1 Tiptronic *   £46,184   Save 16%  
  Audi A5 Sportback 40 TFSI S Line 5dr S Tronic *   £34,564   Save 17.5%  
  Audi A6 Avant 40 TDI S Line 5dr S Tronic *   £36,374   Save 22%  
  Audi Q2 35 TFSI Sport S Tronic *   £23,674   Save 15%  
  Audi SQ2 Black Edition S Tronic *   £32,820   Save 16%  
  Audi Q3 35 TFSI S Line *   £28,257   Save 16.5%  
  Audi Q3 Sportback 35 TFSI S Line S Tronic [Comfort+Sound Pack] *   £32,366   Save 14%  
  Audi SQ5 TDI Tiptronic [Comfort+Sound Pack] * (Stock Special)   £47,949   Save 16%  
  Audi Q5 55 TFSI e Quattro Vorsprung S Tronic * (Stock Special)   £55,879   Save 17.5%  
  Audi Q7 50 TDI Quattro Black Edition 5dr Tiptronic [C+S] *   £56,875   Save 19%  
  Audi SQ7 TDI Quattro Tiptronic * (Stock Special)   £64,699   Save 16.5%  
  Audi Q8 Vorsprung 5dr Tiptronic * (Stock Special)   £71,699   Save 19.5%  
  Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Hybrid mHEV 125 Titanium 5dr   £16,429   Save 17.5%  
  Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost 95 Titanium 5dr   £16,808   Save 12.3%  
  Ford Fiesta 1.5 EcoBoost ST-3 [Performance Pack] 5dr   £22,192   Save 12.5%  
  Ford Focus 1.0 EcoBoost Hybrid mHEV 125 Titanium Edition 5dr *   £19,896   Save 16%  
  Ford Focus 2.3 EcoBoost ST 5dr Auto *   £30,300   Save 13%  
  Ford Puma 1.0 EcoBoost Hybrid mHEV 155 ST-Line X 5dr   £21,788   Save 11%  
  Ford Kuga 1.5 EcoBoost 150 Titanium 5dr * (new model)   £23,226   Save 17%  
  Ford Kuga 2.5 EcoBoost PHEV Titanium 5dr CVT * (new model)   £29,241   Save 13%  
  Land Rover Discovery Sport 2.0 D180 SE 5dr Auto *   £36,972   Save 16.3%  
  Land Rover Discovery Sport 1.5 P300e R-Dynamic S 5dr Auto [5 Seat]   £40,598   Save 10.5%  
  Land Rover Discovery 3.0 SDV6 HSE 5dr Auto *   £54,281   Save 18%  
  Range Rover Evoque P200 R-Dynamic S 5dr Auto   £37,444   Save 9%  
  Range Rover Evoque 1.5 P300e S 5dr Auto   £39,676   Save 9.5%  
  Range Rover Velar D180 R-Dynamic SE 5dr Auto *   £47,654   Save 15.5%  
  Range Rover Sport P300 HSE 5dr Auto *   £56,530   Save 13.5%  
  Range Rover Sport D300 HSE 5dr Auto *   £59,395   Save 13%  
  Range Rover Sport 5.0 P575 S.C SVR 5dr Auto *   £91,332   Save 10.5%  
  Range Rover D300 Westminster 4dr Auto *   £76,077   Save 13%  
  Range Rover P400e Vogue 4dr Auto *   £77,711   Save 13%  
  Peugeot 208 1.2 PureTech 100 GT Line 5dr *   £17,196   Save 20%  
  Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 GT Line 5dr *   £21,920   Save 17.5%  
  Peugeot E-208 Electric 100kW Active 50kWh 5dr Auto *   £24,418   Save 16%  
  Peugeot E-2008 Electric 100kW GT Line 50kWh 5dr Auto *   £30,971   Save 14%  
  Peugeot 3008 1.2 PureTech GT Line Premium 5dr *   £26,735   Save 18.5%  
  Peugeot 5008 1.2 PureTech Allure 5dr EAT8 *   £26,311   Save 20%  
  Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI 95 FR [EZ] 5dr *   £14,530   Save 20.5%  
  Seat Arona 1.0 TSI SE Technology [EZ] 5dr *   £15,672   Save 19%  
  Seat Leon 1.5 TSI EVO 150 FR Hatchback * (new model)   £20,805   Save 16%  
  Seat Leon 1.5 eTSI 150 FR Hatchback DSG * (new model)   £22,629   Save 16%  
  Seat Tarraco 2.0 TSI Xcellence 5dr DSG 4Drive *   £29,932   Save 19%  
  Skoda Scala 1.5 TSI SE L 5dr *   £17,332   Save 22.5%  
  Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI 150 SE L First Ed. Hatch DSG *(new model)   £22,934   Save 19.5%  
  Skoda Superb Estate 1.4 TSI iV SE L DSG 5dr *   £30,087   Save 19.5%  
  Skoda Karoq 1.5 TSI SE L 5dr DSG *   £23,654   Save 16.5%  
  Skoda Kodiaq 1.5 TSI SE L 5dr DSG [7 Seat] *   £25,892   Save 20.5%

On 28/07/2020 at 15:55, OctaviaMK4 said:

Yeah the fuel tank I think is around 60 liters. But the mpg is quite good so you get a decent milage out of a fuel tank of petrol.

I noticed the brochure quoted 50 litres for the tank size on the 2 wheel drive Octys and 55 litres on the 4X4s, one of my bug bears with the Makr 3 Octy over the Mk 2 Octy which has 55  litre tanks and the Superbs which had proper 60 litre plus tanks ?