A quieter Karoq?

Sanqhar

Anyone fit any extra soundproofing to their Karoq?  I would just like that little bit extra luxury in my 1.5 sel dsg.

I intend to go for quieter tyres when the time comes to change and possibly fit 17" wheels.  I am already finding the Turanzas are getting noisier as they wear.

tom

1 hour ago, Berisford said:

We've got the 1.0 engine and I've had two people / passengers ask if it's a battery hybrid vehicle as it's so quiet when in town and on tickover.........

I know how quiet it is just rounding about, I noticed a difference when I got the 1.6 diesel, which is not at all noisy for a cheap diesel. I've got used to it now though.

Interesting that you think the Turanzas get noisier with wear because I was thought that too and put it down to my imagination. I am more convinced that it might be true now.

13 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

Anyone fit any extra soundproofing to their Karoq?  I would just like that little bit extra luxury in my 1.5 sel dsg.

I intend to go for quieter tyres when the time comes to change and possibly fit 17" wheels.  I am already finding the Turanzas are getting noisier as they wear.

tom

These Goodyear EfficientGrip 215/65R16 98H SUV have a Euro label of B B 66dB.

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=l5ECXxRCJox65RGI.110.857080729&sowigan=So&Breite=215&Quer=65&Felge=16&kategorie=6&ranzahl=4&m_s=3&Ang_pro_Seite=50&sort_by=Lable_3sound&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&Label=B-B-66-1&details=Ordern&typ=R-272228

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/tyres/goodyear-5452000470775-532054

8 hours ago, Carlston said:

If only there was a 66db tyre that fitted my karoq!

The problem is finding a tyre to fit.  215/50 R18 is not a common size. 

Tom

My 12month old 1.0 DSG SE Technology has Turanza tyres on 17" wheels.  I've not noticed them getting noisier so far, but due to lockdown I've only done 6,000miles - I suspect you've done rather more.  There have been some general comments here that these tyres aren't the quietest around, but so far, I do find road noise, although not absent, to be less than I recall on previous cars I've owned.  It's most noticeable on broken road surfaces - a certain amount of bump thump + roar on coarse gritted roads - but that's partly due to the car being so quiet otherwise.  On 'smooth tarmac' roads, as on some motorways for example, the noise from tyres is hardly there, even at 70mph and the car is really very smooth & quiet then.

As you asked, I did do some sound damping measures.  The noise seems mainly to come from the rear, as is often so with road noise.  I stuck a few adhesive backed bituminous damping pads around the boot floor metal panel + a spare wheels tightly secured  to this, hoping to reduce the panel vibration.  My car doesn't have the varioflex seats and so comes with a sort of rigid parcel shelf over the boot - this seemed to boom a little when tapped so I keep a couple of heavy car rugs on top that certainly make the shelf sound much deader when tapped and they hopefully absorb some of the sound coming from the boot.  The efforts seemed to improve matters somewhat, if not dramatically so, but it's easy to kid oneself - should really have done sound level/frequency tests before and after, as I do have access to these in connection with my hifi interest, but would need a 2nd person who knows what they're doing, to operate, while I drive.

As I've noted several times before, I do intend to go for 16" wheels with Goodyears when the Turanzas are spent (might be quite a while yet), as most people comment on their quietness & good ride, with both Efficient Grips & their All Weather Tyres.

Agreed with what other's say about how quiet is the 1.0 - only slight comment is a mild roughness starting off - as with all 3cyl compared to 4cyl engines + a slight drone when working hard uphill at1500-2000 revs, this resonance also a feature of 3cyl engines, but easily avoided by going into a lower gear (not that 4cyl's are without a resonance issue too, at a certain frequency).

Edited by croquemonsieur

I see Skoda are still fitting Turanzas.

They were fitted to my previous Octavia when I bought it. The garage then fitted some new tyres (also Turanza).

They were awful. Horrible droning noises from them once they'd worn a bit.

Replaced with with Goodyear efficient grip and they were spot on for 20k miles.