Recommended Bike Rack

SuperGoz

Hi all,  long time reader, first time poster as a Karoq owner.

I've recently become more fond of cycling and rather than slinging my bike into the boot of my car, I was wondering what my other options are without breaking the bank.

I have done some research and some state that the Karoq cannot support the 'off the rack' universal hatch-back style bike rack - something to do with the structure of the hatch?  I was told I have to get the Skoda cross bars and the Skoda bike holders (meaning I would be spending in excess of £300....no thanks).

I was hoping someone on here might be able to help?  

(I did a quick search for a thread someone else might have already put in this section but could not find one so sorry if I am repeating something someone has already asked!)

It really depends how much you value your like and car. 

The best option is a bike carrier mounted on a towbar. The bike is low down and shielded from the wind, and doesn't hit the fuel economy too much. This is what I used ages ago on my Golf 4 when I took bikes on holiday in France. But it IS the most expensive option, and not very attractive financially unless you need a towbar for other purposes as well. 

The next best option is vertical bike carriers on roof bars, much cheaper than the towbar option, but hits the fuel economy more. Which is the more economic depends on how often you carry a bike, how far you take it, and how fast you want to drive with it on top. 

If you want to carry one hanging on the tailgate, don't forget that you'll still need a visible number plate and lights - if the bike covers them, then you'll need to hang them on the bike. 

If you just want to keep the muck out of the inside of the car and your bike fits in with the seats down, the cheapest option is to cover the inside of the car with a 'boot liner' type of thing.

Thanks - at the moment, I am only taking the bike short distances to different place in and around my region.  I was thinking of a tailgate carrier but as per my OP, I have heard multiple people say either you can or cannot attach a universal 'cheaper' one to the hatch. 

Does anyone else have any ideas on this?

When I was looking for a cycle carrier for my BMW 2-Series Gran Tourer, I was advised to avoid those carriers which strap onto the rear tailgate. Most tailgates now apparently have plastic parts (eg. the spoiler at the top) which are made of plastic and which can break under the pressure from the very tight straps of the carrier with a bike strapped onto it.

I was told that even if there are no plastic parts in the tailgate, when you pull the straps of a tailgate-mounted cycle carrier taught, you can end up bending the steel edges of the tailgate where the strap clips are attached.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got Aero roof bars and Thule bike carriers on the roof. Never noticed the car using more fuel than standard to be honest. I'm currently running an Octavia VRS 245 which has an IS38 turbo and mapped. 

It can be a pain and a workout  💪 to get them up on the roof though. 

Good luck 

Edited by Tim1631

1 hour ago, Mark-Surrey said:

When I was looking for a cycle carrier for my BMW 2-Series Gran Tourer, I was advised to avoid those carriers which strap onto the rear tailgate. Most tailgates now apparently have plastic parts (eg. the spoiler at the top) which are made of plastic and which can break under the pressure from the very tight straps of the carrier with a bike strapped onto it.

I was told that even if there are no plastic parts in the tailgate, when you pull the straps of a tailgate-mounted cycle carrier taught, you can end up bending the steel edges of the tailgate where the strap clips are attached.

I agree 100%

Roof mounting is the cheapest option, up to you how much you spend.

There are plenty of roof bar options and roof mounted bike racks you could choose, absolutely no reason you need Skoda ones.

Cheaper roof bars may be a bit noisier, different bike racks secure your frame in different ways.

Halfords do roofbars for £80.00 which would fit, and a bike rack for £30.00

I would stick to fitting it in the back of the car.
I also do this, once you have done it a few times it becomes simple, I have two buckle straps permanently fitted in the boot to the fixing lugs and drop them over the seat post tube after removing the front wheel and seat post, this holds the bike very steady with the middle seat removed.
I have a full sus bike, I am 74 and don't fancy dropping the bike on the roof !!

Always on the roof for me. They're out of the way and so clear of being hit, it's easier to get to the boot, they're easier to secure and you can leave the bars on. One of our cars has the carriers up there permanently. We've never noticed an effect on fuel economy. 

The trick with bars is to buy used. When people change cars and the bars won't fit the new one they stick them on ebay. I've just bought an as-new £260 Thule set for £120 off FB Market Place. 

For options for your car go to roof box.co.uk and put your reg number in. You'll get the options available to you with fair reviews. If you're buying new I'd recommend roofbox.co.uk. We've used them many times and their support is exceptional. 

On 31/07/2020 at 21:13, Mark-Surrey said:

I have seen this happen on my wife's friend's Corsa after her (stupid) teenage son had over-zealously tightened the straps of the bike-rack. The result was two small air-scoops on the rear of the car.

Personally, I went for the expensive but best option of a tow-ball mounted Atera rack. My only regret is that I didn't purchase the heavier-duty version that will easily take two e-bikes - which we only bought recently.