Here we go again......

Chris

So picture the scene, its a hot day and I'm browsing the net, ebay, auto trader facebook marketplace etc when I stumble across a local car auction website that has a budget sale on a Tuesday. I register so I can watch the live auction as its online only at the moment due to covid. 

Stuff goes through, mondeos, clios etc. All out of my budget (I'm looking for a commuter car for work) so I being to get bored. I watch the end of a cheapish mercedes and decide I've had enough. I put my laptop to the side to grab a drink, during which time a new car has gone up for auction. I close my laptop screen and as I do so I (must have) caught the bid button in the top left corner....

An hour or so later I get an email - you are the winning bidder of lot 72...

A 2006 Suzuki Swift 1.5 GLX. 

Paid the princely sum of £250 plus buyers fee and collecting tomorrow. It needs serious work. Has MOT until October but was attempted to be put through last week and failed on quite a bit. New front bumper needed as well as suspension arm ball joints and anti roll bar ball joints. Rear brakes and parking brake also need sorting. Big dent in the boot lid too. No wonder it only went for £250!

Lesson learnt, be more careful!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Groan 1

I bet they get a lot of less honourable people making all sorts of excuses about the cat walking on their computer etc.

Every single person that cancels a booking with me within the last 7 days when its chargeable phone me up with a long winded sob story involving sick children, alien abduction etc.

Do you have any links to on line car auctions, I would quite like to be a voyeur, presumably if you dont register to bid you can still watch and be safe from keyboard errors?

12 hours ago, J.R. said:

I bet they get a lot of less honourable people making all sorts of excuses about the cat walking on their computer etc.

Every single person that cancels a booking with me within the last 7 days when its chargeable phone me up with a long winded sob story involving sick children, alien abduction etc.

Do you have any links to on line car auctions, I would quite like to be a voyeur, presumably if you dont register to bid you can still watch and be safe from keyboard errors?

This one was the East Anglian motor auctions in Wymondham near Norwich. To watch you have to register unfortunately. It's a busy place though with lots of auctions! 

I figured for the money I'd take a punt. Will see later how that works out hahahahaha

you could still potentially turn a profit on it though? get it straightened out with some diy and flog it on. even if you only make a couple of hundred quid..

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chris said:

I'm forever buying stuff I don't need. Not just cars! 

You've not seen my stash of Lidl and Aldi tools, lamps, workshop wall storage bins, hammers and an unused tree branch shredder have you?

36 minutes ago, Chris said:

20200814_134659.thumb.jpg.623183d11e6f0b143f2c29c4ffbcbc90.jpg

That will need a fair bit of effort to buff out,  🤣

You might need an electric buffer though, but I'm sure @Lee01 will have an unused one for you in his garage......and some Spak

Edited by Gerrycan
addition
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

That will need a fair bit of effort to buff out,  🤣

You might need an electric buffer though, but I'm sure @Lee01 will have an unused one for you in his garage......and some Spak

Er.............funny you mention that :notme:
Bought in 2016 IIRC. Used it to polish my front and rear screens. Twice :D 

IMG_20200814_153112.jpg

• Haha 2

Look at all the Didldydaldi stuff in the background, not sure if he staged the photo or not but he wasn't kidding.

I have things yet to be used that I have bought 2 or 3 times over from didldydaldi 🙁

When I realise my mistake I tell myself that it was an additional one for the UK or France, the 3rd ones are just in case.

Never can find any of them when I need them or even be sure that I had bought them, thats when the duplicates get bought.

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Look at all the Didldydaldi stuff in the background, not sure if he staged the photo or not but he wasn't kidding.

No, not staged, that's the current state of my workbench :D All I did was put the polisher on top for that photo.
I've got three or four Powerfix socket sets in 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4", two sets of Powerfix ratchet spanners, Torque wrench, USB rechargeable work lamps (One Lidl one Aldi) a soldering iron, open/ ring spanner set X 2, open spanner set X 1, electric sharpener (there's more but I'm struggling to remember it all now! Oh, and about 9 or 10 boxes Lidl sell of assorted washers, nuts, zip ties and two of just crocodile clips. (They were for work and a great buy as great for connecting my BUTT phone to to test lines or to connect to tone out to find spair pairs/ faulting etc etc)
Look, DON'T JUDGE ME. It all serves a purpose at least once :D 
Hi, my name's Lee and I have a problem....................

• Sad 1

Lee i have most of what you mention and loads more that I have forgotten.

Re the corocodile clips I too bought 2 boxes, one for here and one for the UK and I have no use for them at all, in a previous life yes, but as you say they will come in usefull one day.

• Haha 1

I bought a cheap spare alternator for our Fabia on ebay once.

Despite having already acquired a cheap spare alternator for our Fabia from ebay some time before...and I knew that I had done so!

Still to use either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wino said:

I bought a cheap spare alternator for our Fabia on ebay once.

Despite having already acquired a cheap spare alternator for our Fabia from ebay some time before...and I knew that I had done so!

Still to use either.

Testament to the longevity of some VAG parts and having an owner who doesn't ditch a perfectly serviceable alternator for the sake of a £1 load sensor wire ;) 

7 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Look, DON'T JUDGE ME. It all serves a purpose at least once :D 
Hi, my name's Lee and I have a problem....................

We are here for you mate.

We all have our issues and mine is bikes. I cannot throw them away because of the good memories.

Got 7 in the garage and oldest about 45 years old which I still use.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...