Air conditioning pipe connector

34stu

Hi, Looking for some advice applicable to another VAG group model on a shared component. My air con has a leak on the right hand side front High- / low pressure pipe which has a bolted/O ring connection to the condensor and a male/female type connector at the other end. Question is how does this male/female connection work and do I need any special tools to separate the existing and install the new? Photo of example part Attached.

Thanks in advance.

6E550F0E-FFD8-489A-B544-2635BAC0FD20.png

Are you sure its not simply the O ring leaking?

They are very easy to damage when refitting, I have cut through 2 of them and they are not a common size & dont come in the boxes of aircon O rings.

Hi thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the pipe has corroded under the support bracket fixed to the back of the radiator, confirmed with a gas test monitor by the AC engineer. Noted regarding the O ring sizes though.

Thank you Wino, page 80 section 87-7 of the air conditioning manual shows the quick release tool, snapshot below. AUTODOC appears to have some similar tools applicable to VAG models.

06B88F2D-CDA7-467C-B172-2DC55D16FFAA.png

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Inside the larger pipe is a coiled spring wrapped into a circle (you can imagine it as an 'O' ring)  When you push the pipes together the ring is forced to expand over the flange on the pipe and locks it in place. I've separated them using an old fluorescent tube starter. Cut the end off, split down the side and push into the connector while pulling the pipes apart. I think the last one I did I used the body of an old felt tip pen. Once you've done one all will become clear.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Found out my AC line is leaking. Is there any difference, which brand to choose?

OEM 300€

Vemo 200€

Metzger 45€

unknown brand "Premium Quality - Original AIC Quality" product number "55968" - 14€. (Is it even the entire line for this price? :D )

I mean, how different can they be? Would you use the cheapest one?

I quess I need to change the gasket kit/coupler, inside the connector?! And order some extra o-rings for the condenser end?

Do I need to remove the front bumper and the condenser?

Line.jpg

Update!

1. The o-ring on the cheap line does not work (too thin), so you need the OEM o-ring anyways for the condenser end. And you may need a 4mm spring pin for the same condenser line end. The new line doesn´t come with one and it's impossible to remove it from the old line! Unless it's stuck/oxidized to the condenser side.

2. How do you change the connector/coupler repair kit inside the connector? Do you do it from under the car or you release the rest of the pipe and twist it somehow? I quess I can remove the circlip washer by feel, but I have no idea how to put the new repeir kit back in?! Is the o-ring squished in the connector, on top of the green locking thing? Do I need to apply some pressure on the green locking cage, while refitting the circlip or not?

coupler.jpg