Ocatavia 2010 won't fire

Hi, 

recently the Octavia has not started?  Key in ignition and it turns but the engine doesn't start up.

It's intermittent but mainly in the mornings.  Had to jump it this morning to get it going.  

Any thoughts on what it might be - Battery not strong enough to crank or something else?

Thanks

4 hours ago, Aj77 said:

Test battery with multimeter.

Ideally standing voltage after overnight rest without drain I.e. ideally canbus asleep.

Which would necessitate running some wires from the terminals to outside the car so it doesn't need unlocking or bonnet up.. 

I have had similar issue where engine was turning up it just didn’t start. Especially in the mornings. Skoda had car for 3days and didn’t find anything. On the end, neighbor came(mechanic), opened fuel filter and found little metal shavings, and said “your fuel pump is failing”. I made Skoda to change both fuel pumps and never had problem since. But I did upgraded battery. It is 2.0tdi 

I suffered from intermittent starting for almost a year.  Eventually I solved the problem by replacing the relay in the engine compartment with a new one (circled in red on attached image and labelled R1).  At the same time I also checked and cleaned the earth strap that goes between the chassis and the engine that's in the battery/airbox area.  The terminals on mine did have some corrosion.

Since doing this the car has started first go every time.

relays.png

Edited by stevenc