Adding a wireless charger

• Sponsor
1 minute ago, Mattster21 said:

How much is it, out of interest? I am on the South coast however, so unlikely to take you up on it I'm afraid!

If you'd like to send us your VIN then we can quote it for you, don't worry if you don't plan to go ahead - it's something we need to price up anyway 🙂

1 minute ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

If you'd like to send us your VIN then we can quote it for you, don't worry if you don't plan to go ahead - it's something we need to price up anyway 🙂

When I get it I will drop you a PM - car is being delivered to us on Saturday. I do remember the option cost was (I thought) ridiculously high at around £200, especially given there is a USB port right there and you can buy decent off the shelf wireless chargers for £20 or so, so not sure how much I would be willing to spend on it.

• Love it! 1

On 31/01/2022 at 12:01, Mattster21 said:

You can put me down as interested. I can't remember the exact figure, but it was something around £200 for the wireless charging option which I thought was a little spendy for what is effectively a £20 wireless charging pad. Is there any way you can let me know when these are available again?

I'll try to make more chargers in a couple of weeks.. It would be interesting to compare my version with the original.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Skodamk4 said:

I'll try to make more chargers in a couple of weeks.. It would be interesting to compare my version with the original.

Do you know how much power the USB in the front can supply? Wondering how fast the wireless charging will be..

Please post up here when you have more available!

1 hour ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

Bare in mind the original will have a designated position on the fusebox, and will integrate with the infotainment system. You also have the option to add an antenna & amplifier to allow it to boost your telephone signal 👌

I don’t think I’ve ever felt any need to boost my phone signal!

I don’t know about lower models but my SEL integrates the phone very well into the infotainment already wirelessly. 

1 hour ago, Skodamk4 said:

I forgot to say, I really like how you’ve made yours, really neatly made. One question though- does it matter which side the USB-C sockets are on? Mine are on the left but mine is a RHD. 

On 01/02/2022 at 21:40, MiniNinjaRob said:

I forgot to say, I really like how you’ve made yours, really neatly made. One question though- does it matter which side the USB-C sockets are on? Mine are on the left but mine is a RHD. 

I have 2 versions , for RHD - UK, Malta, etc(1 picture), LHD - Europe, Russia, etc(2 picture).

now still waiting for parts..

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

On 01/02/2022 at 20:19, Mattster21 said:

Do you know how much power the USB in the front can supply? Wondering how fast the wireless charging will be..

Please post up here when you have more available!

My Witrn U3 usb tester shows 5V 1A in my european version of octavia.

One way would be to leave the fuse in place, "lift" the plastic tray that includes the wireless charger and simply disconnect the cable on the back. (I'm assuming it's a connector, not a soldered cable)
For the dismantling instructions see the Skoda service manuals - there was a link to all of those somewhere on this forum.
Let me know if you don't find it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SkOmk4 said:

One way would be to leave the fuse in place, "lift" the plastic tray that includes the wireless charger and simply disconnect the cable on the back. (I'm assuming it's a connector, not a soldered cable)
For the dismantling instructions see the Skoda service manuals - there was a link to all of those somewhere on this forum.
Let me know if you don't find it.

Well actually i'm getting my car maybe in march :) I'm not good at searching or looking at manuals. I almost need someone to virtually hold my hand on how to disassemble the charger pad.

I'd be glad if you could give me more guidance on this one.

1 hour ago, timster said:

Well actually i'm getting my car maybe in march :) I'm not good at searching or looking at manuals. I almost need someone to virtually hold my hand on how to disassemble the charger pad.

I'd be glad if you could give me more guidance on this one.

Just interested - why would you want to disconnect it?

43 minutes ago, MiniNinjaRob said:

Just interested - why would you want to disconnect it?

Well my drivings are mostly short. It's more bad for the phone to charge it for 15minutes. Rather not charge it at all than charge it for few percents. Wireless charging warms up the phone quite alot which makes the battery decade faster. 

I'll rather use USB-C when i need to charge.

26 minutes ago, timster said:

Well my drivings are mostly short. It's more bad for the phone to charge it for 15minutes. Rather not charge it at all than charge it for few percents. Wireless charging warms up the phone quite alot which makes the battery decade faster. 

I think I’d rather just leave it on my pocket or put it in another place than take my dash apart to disconnect it. You might want to use it on longer journeys anyway, or a passenger can use it to reduce the cables trailing around. 

Or simply add a flat "spacer" between the charging pad and your phone - such as an anti-slip rubber mat, only a few mm thick. At that distance the phone will not charge. When U want to use it, simply remove the spacer and charge...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MiniNinjaRob said:

I think I’d rather just leave it on my pocket or put it in another place than take my dash apart to disconnect it. You might want to use it on longer journeys anyway, or a passenger can use it to reduce the cables trailing around. 

I rarely keep my phone in my pocket. Need to change tracks etc quite often. I usually keep my car under the center console, so the place is perfect but the wireless charger is useless for me.

For now the best option for me, is to just have something there to block the charging. 

18 hours ago, timster said:

I rarely keep my phone in my pocket. Need to change tracks etc quite often. I usually keep my car under the center console, so the place is perfect but the wireless charger is useless for me.

For now the best option for me, is to just have something there to block the charging. 

You would change the tracks using the car controls anyway. 

Not if i want to select specific tracks or fast forward them

Does it really matter if you’re only in the car for 15mins as you have said? It’s barely 4 songs, or maybe one if it’s Pink Floyd. 😂😂

• Haha 1