oil temperatures when towing

AndersG

7 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Never bothered to look in the 10+ years I've towed with my Yeti's.
Don't worry about it.

That's not very helpful is it.
The oil temperature will rise when the engine is working hard and they were just asking what would be the normal working range.
Once up to temperature mine non towing goes between about 97 to 102 degrees, when in a DPF regen it rises about 3 degrees.

Under 120°c with decent correct spec oil is absolutely fine as long as it stabilises, if it continues to rise even slowly eventually on a long high speed journey you could have problems.

One of my motorbike engined race cars was OK on medium and long circuits but on very short ones could not cool the oil sufficiently, water was fine but after 20 mins the oil temp would hit 140°c, still OK but not good for the oil or the longevity of the engine, on endurance races on the same circuit it crept up to 160°c and ran a crank journal.

• Like 1

Towed our 1450kg caravan from Cornwall along A30, M5 and M6. Outside temperatures in the 15-20 range and the oil temp was 105 to 115 most of the time.

Towed in Europe in July with outside temps in 30 - 35 and oil temps was 115 -120 most of the time.

Not had an oil temp gauge for 30 years or so but the temps does seem a bit higher than they should be for the conditions?

38 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Towed our 1450kg caravan from Cornwall along A30, M5 and M6. Outside temperatures in the 15-20 range and the oil temp was 105 to 115 most of the time.

Towed in Europe in July with outside temps in 30 - 35 and oil temps was 115 -120 most of the time.

Not had an oil temp gauge for 30 years or so but the temps does seem a bit higher than they should be for the conditions?

Looks totally normal