S3 Superb 4x4 270 petrol vs 190 tdi..... Thoughts?

As per above, I currently drive a Volvo S90 2.0 diesel with Polestar performance map and it returns just shy of 40mpg. I drive it in an average way, not economically or over the top quickly, like you - just how I wish to drive. I don't want to be feathering the throttle and coasting everywhere to save money....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamikazekid said:

What speed was you doing? And what about more mixed driving? I have a 190 diesel and long term average is 43. I don’t drive like a maniac, or with economy on mind. I just drive it how I want. That’s probably 80% motorway and 20% town driving. Previous cars I’ve owned with anywhere near the power of a 270, I used to get between 23-26mpg average over a tank. Either petrol engines have come a long way or the guys getting high 30s are the exception and not the rule. I’d love a 270. But it’s hard for me to justify double the fuel cost. Especially when it’s loaded with the family most of the time and I get ‘the look’ from the Mrs every time I put my foot down! 😂

ACC set to 60mph because that is 1,750rpm in 7th gear. Although we averaged 56mph down to Newquay the return 2 journeys we experienced delays on the M5 due to accidents so the overall average for the whole 574 miles was only 51mph. Worst the car did with 40 minutes of stop/start was 42mpg and the best after 190 miles was 49.0mpg. My normal commute is 70% motorway and 30% speed limits from 30-50mph. I try to stick to speed limits despite my car having 514nm of torque and almost 360bhp.;)

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

ACC set to 60mph because that is 1,750rpm in 7th gear. Although we averaged 56mph down to Newquay the return 2 journeys we experienced delays on the M5 due to accidents so the overall average for the whole 574 miles was only 51mph. Worst the car did with 40 minutes of stop/start was 42mpg and the best after 190 miles was 49.0mpg. My normal commute is 70% motorway and 30% speed limits from 30-50mph. I try to stick to spped limits despite my car having 514nm of torque and almost 360bhp.;)

To achieve a healthy BHP figure of 360, did you go stage 1 or 2 and was it a map of plug in box please?

Anything else changed in the 272?

24 minutes ago, RGKTSi said:

To achieve a healthy BHP figure of 360, did you go stage 1 or 2 and was it a map of plug in box please?

Anything else changed in the 272?

Everything standard on the car been running a custom AmD map (Grays, Essex) stage 1 even my gearbox settings are standard but feels like 0-60mph in about 4.2 seconds. Fastest accelerating car I've owned. Use Tesco Momentum or Shell V-Power 99 octane for best results. Much criticised GPF probably robs it of about 20bhp compared to a 280 without GPF equipped exhaust.:)

2 hours ago, Stunts said:

As per above, I currently drive a Volvo S90 2.0 diesel with Polestar performance map and it returns just shy of 40mpg. I drive it in an average way, not economically or over the top quickly, like you - just how I wish to drive. I don't want to be feathering the throttle and coasting everywhere to save money....

Agreed. I probably only get 43 because the Mrs drives it most of the time! The economy is very similar to my previous car (Mondeo ST TDCI which was mapped to 185). I’m surprised the Skoda doesn’t get a bit closer to the claimed 60. Ford quoted 46 combined for the mondeo, so a bit more realistic. I guess these days they can quote better figures by fiddling the system with defeat devices, stop/start etc... Maybe it is capable of 60mpg if you drive it like a granny. But then why buy a 190? If economy is anyone’s primary concern then the 1.6 Diesel is surely the way to go?

I came from a S2 170 DSG Diesel Superb Elegance to a S3 280 L&K - both estates & both run as private cars & both purchased at around 3 years old. Reasons. 

1. No longer doing big mileages or a daily commute so fuel consumption was no longer a major consideration.
  2. Wanted to get away from diesel.
  3. Wanted more power but didn't want spinning front wheels. S2 Superb would regularly spin & tramp front wheels in damp conditions when flooring the loud pedal which prevented any chance of a quick getaway on roundabouts or lights.
  4. Wanted a more refined drive.

All boxes ticked with the S3 280 L&K 4 x 4 which, after a Revo remap, now has 360bhp. Fuel consumption is 25 around town & best to date has been 36-38mpg on a run. I think it's capable of 40+ but I've yet to see that. 

I have to say that after years driving diesel company & private cars returning to petrol has been such a pleasure. So much so that I would have a hard time going back to diesel unless it was a smoother 6 or 8 cylinder model. An electric vehicle might be an option but the prices will have to come down a lot before I could consider one.

Each to their own & your circumstances might, & probably will, dictate a different approach entirely.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the whole petrol vs diesel question has been rendered moot. I've been offered a ludicrous deal on a brand new car (not a Skoda) that it would be foolish to pass up. Therefore this decision is unlikely to be taken now.... Thanks for all the input though :-)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

kamikazekid  I'm stuck in the quandry between the 280 petrol and the 190 petrol.  only do short mileages .   190 I'm sure might be fine, but might always wish i'd got a 280.  at the same time most of the extra power of the 280 is at the top end, and with kids in the car will very rarely use it. Coming off a mk 3 petrol VRS .  In theory a Mk4 would do all I need and more, but very wary of infotainment glitches, safety ( or not ) of having to faff with a touchscreen for air con, and road noise 

I’m still living this quandary 3 years in…my sensible side says the 190 was a good buy as I save quite a bit on fuel, plus it nice not having to fill up every 5 minutes. But the added refinement and extra power of the 280 would have been nice! One thing I would definitely change, I wish I waited until a 4x4 one came up. My front wheel drive 190 DSG spins up I’ll the time. I don’t know if it’s a heavy car, crap tyres or a consequence of having DSG…but I’ve never had a car spin up so much out of junctions. Very frustrating when you want to pull out of busy junctions safely. 

18 minutes ago, Kamikazekid said:

My front wheel drive 190 DSG spins up I’ll the time. I don’t know if it’s a heavy car, crap tyres or a consequence of having DSG

My 220 DSG used to lose grip in the wet when I was running the Pirelli P7s. Since I changed to Vredestein Quatrac 5s, the problem has disappeared, unless I really try to force the issue.

Yeah, I know the Pirelli’s are a bit naff. Unfortunately one of their strong points is they seem to last forever! I have 2 Michelin Cross climate plus on the rear while I wear down the remaining Pirelli’s on the driven wheels. Hopefully Michelins all round will improve things a bit. 

1 hour ago, Kamikazekid said:

Yeah, I know the Pirelli’s are a bit naff. Unfortunately one of their strong points is they seem to last forever! I have 2 Michelin Cross climate plus on the rear while I wear down the remaining Pirelli’s on the driven wheels. Hopefully Michelins all round will improve things a bit. 

Don't want to move your Michelins to the front?

I've got the original 280 and tbh the only time I notice the power is when I'm overtaking. The superb really doesn't handle like a hot hatch, it's a barge thats better suited to the motorway than twisty roads and if you're used to an octy vrs, you will be dissapointed for a while because of it.

The power is nice to have when its needed but at 155.9p for a litre of super unleaded and 30mpg it's expensive to run as a daily driver.

Mine costs me over £300 a month in petrol, and I probably get less than 400 miles to a 65 litre tank (When full it gives me a range of 425).

• Like 1

On 24/11/2021 at 18:49, roo said:

I've got the original 280 and tbh the only time I notice the power is when I'm overtaking. The superb really doesn't handle like a hot hatch, it's a barge thats better suited to the motorway than twisty roads and if you're used to an octy vrs, you will be dissapointed for a while because of it.

The power is nice to have when its needed but at 155.9p for a litre of super unleaded and 30mpg it's expensive to run as a daily driver.

Mine costs me over £300 a month in petrol, and I probably get less than 400 miles to a 65 litre tank (When full it gives me a range of 425).

Just to clarify.  I moved from a mk2 octy vrs to the superb. And for a while I expected it to be the same, probably as I was seeing the superb as a bigger golf r, which it definitely is not.

I have the Superb 280 and I would not change it. My dad has the 190 and I drove it home from work on Friday in the crap weather we had and to be honest, I wasn't a fan. Spun the wheels a few times at junctions which I never have the problem with (Obviously) but one thing I did notice is that it felt very un steady in the wet at speed, as if the back end felt as if it was floating. Very weird feeling but that could be due to it not being a Sportline and mine is, so mine sits lower with stiffer suspension 🤔 The 280 is a sleeper and surprises people.