Day time running lights

Hi all again looking at my head light unite i am Linda getting more and more not sure if its an led stripe or an bulb stripe :/  i have ordered the led stripe.   I have seen here on the forum there is an great post on how to remove the head light by removing the front bumper.  Simply clever :p.  Any ways does anyone know if this an bulb i need to replace. My car is an mk3 octavia 2013 elegeance.  PS. Taking about Day time running light :)

1 minute ago, tibiking said:

The i need to replace the whole unite ?? or is it posiable just to replace the LED by opening the plastic cover ? :/

I thought we went over this before? 

You can buy just the led yes, but by leaving the unit in its current state it risks just happening again and other components in the headlamp risk getting damaged as well. 

42 minutes ago, tibiking said:

The i need to replace the whole unite ?? or is it posiable just to replace the LED by opening the plastic cover ? :/

The plastic lens doesn't open. The headlights are sealed and the led is not user serviceable.

If the led DRL has failed. You need a new headlight....

Check it's the led and not just the led driver/power supply that'll be screwed on to height somewhere.

Just now, tibiking said:

Yea i did check the power supply.  So basicly a New unit from the dealer is like 1000 eur... :o

You m8s maybe know where to find a unite that is not so exspensive :)

Feel free to send links :)

• Groan 1

I had exactly the same issue but on our Yeti.

Dealer wanted £480 for brand new unit. Bought a Magneti Marelli aftermarket one (new) for £280 instead. Genuine second hand units weren't any cheaper.

We compared the new Magneti Marelli one to the ones on the car - both say "Automotive Lighting" (just like your pics above) on the side so are clearly made in the same factory. I looked it up and "Automotive Lighting" are owned by MM.

See my original post: 

On 12/09/2020 at 14:07, TheWanderer said:

If one dealer won't give you the information, then try another and if none of them will, then forward a formal letter of complaint to Skoda, citing the reason of complaint, that you wish to order a part, but they are being obstructive and will not help you. 

54 minutes ago, GlitchGolder said:

I sent you these links before, these are what you need and much cheaper. 

True thanks again btw its LHD

Hi all just changed my License Plate Light  to LED , was supprised that my old one where the bulb sits have all gone bad by rust. ;/ anyway the resistors realy tend to get  hot , is that something to be worried for ?  brought a pair of these : https://www.ebay.com/itm/CANbus-Led-License-Plate-Light-For-Skoda-Octavia-Rapid-Fabia-MK2-MK3-Superb-B6/254123571076?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

On 21/09/2020 at 00:00, TheWanderer said:

Try Skoda Parts.

I have used them they're very good. 

Thanks for the link m8 , il check it out =) 

• 1 month later...

Hello. For the DRL LED "stripes" located inside of the headlight with bixenon, afs, it's a big problem because ,if you see in pictures, it's not a led stripes, it's a Osram modul with 3 Cree led's, it's very, very hard to find to buy, i don't find him, and for the change him, you need the open the headlight's, i talk about glass, and dismount almost all components inside him...for that,in case of led burning, not computer drl issue, it's recomandet to change the entire headlights...of course, if you are a good tehnician, can you repair him , if you have the Osram cree led modul...see the pictures....

IMG-20201030-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0015.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0019.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0021.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0023.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0025.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0027.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fault may have been the power / control unit on the rear of the headlight, which corrodes/shorts out.  This happened to my MkIII for 3-4 weeks on autumnal misty mornings. It usually started off ok but after a mile or so the DRL would fail until the next time I started the car. I booked it in to be repaired but it corrected itself a week before the appointment and was fine until I sold the car. The cost of a replacement unit (probably second hand) was about £100 from memory.  I did wonder if it would fail again in prolonged damp conditions. 

On 14/11/2020 at 16:11, costinet said:

Hello. For the DRL LED "stripes" located inside of the headlight with bixenon, afs, it's a big problem because ,if you see in pictures, it's not a led stripes, it's a Osram modul with 3 Cree led's, it's very, very hard to find to buy, i don't find him, and for the change him, you need the open the headlight's, i talk about glass, and dismount almost all components inside him...for that,in case of led burning, not computer drl issue, it's recomandet to change the entire headlights...of course, if you are a good tehnician, can you repair him , if you have the Osram cree led modul...see the pictures....

IMG-20201030-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0015.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0019.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0021.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0023.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0025.jpeg

IMG-20201030-WA0027.jpeg

Yea m8 thx that was some Great exsplainied.  I was looking for a guide like these.  But i order a New unite for like 450 euro.  Now iam looking at selling me old one. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2020 at 13:30, tibiking said:

Yea m8 thx that was some Great exsplainied.  I was looking for a guide like these.  But i order a New unite for like 450 euro.  Now iam looking at selling me old one.