Nearest MK3 equivalent to Mk2 2.0 TDi 170 Elegance?

I have a 2012 MK2 Superb 170  2.0TDi Elegance saloon/hatchback which I love but is is now getting old. As everything seems to have changed for MK3, can anybody please let me know the nearest equivalent model if I want to buy basically the same car but in MK3? Thanks!

Since 2001, I have had a Fabia VRS, Octavia Estate, three Yetis ( 170, 150, and a 1.2  petrol) and now a 2018 Superb SEL Exec 190 TDi.

So, I have sampled quiet a few Skoda cars over two decades.  My favourite - until buying the Superb a year ago - was the 170 Yeti in Elegance trim.  Plenty of power, a good tow car and lovely brakes, with the bigger discs on the front.  However, the Superb is in a class of its own.  I cannot really fault this car, other than the P7 tyres which don't inspire confidence in the wet and are inclined to 'chatter' if you pull away too quickly.  The slightly bigger engine gives it that extra get up and go without the loss of a decent MPG - 48+ around town, 32 when towing, and a recent trip solo down to Cornwall returned 58mpg.  The brakes are just like the 170 Yeti - the car is very comfortable, quiet and a joy to own.  Hope this helps?  

The SE-L trim matches up to the Elegance but if you have the Columbus DAB and you use the rSAP BT and WiFi connection this has been dropped unless you have the 4G data SIM equipped radio but otherwise the SE-L is pretty much the same spec for spec except the addition of ACC and a few other things. The 190 TDI is the more powerful one but having driven the 150 and 190 I could hardly tell the difference in normal driving. The 150 was a brand new car though with the DQ381 7 speed DSG where the 190 was a near 5 year old one with about 60k and the 6 speed DQ250.

3 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

The SE-L trim matches up to the Elegance but if you have the Columbus DAB and you use the rSAP BT and WiFi connection this has been dropped unless you have the 4G data SIM equipped radio but otherwise the SE-L is pretty much the same spec for spec except the addition of ACC and a few other things. The 190 TDI is the more powerful one but having driven the 150 and 190 I could hardly tell the difference in normal driving. The 150 was a brand new car though with the DQ381 7 speed DSG where the 190 was a near 5 year old one with about 60k and the 6 speed DQ250.

I think the only difference will be in the ECU tuning where the 150PS will produce maximum power at 3,500rpm and the 190PS will produce maximum power at 4,000-4,200rpm. So low down they will feel very similar.:hi:

• Like 1

Personally (and I’m not alone in this) I think that the 150 has superior mapping to the 184 and 190 TDI’s. Something about the 150 map seems to make them just as sprightly as the more powerful engines most of the time and I have found the 150’s I’ve driven to be smoother and considerably more fuel efficient than the more powerful ones so on that basis, for me I would be seeking out a 150 over a 190 as I would imagine a mapped 150 would be a far superior car than a 190. If the AWD isn’t 100% necessary (I would argue in this country it’s never necessary, but desirable especially if used as a towing car for the extra weight) and it needs to be a diesel, then I would seek out a 150 over a 190 but that’s only my personal experience.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Personally (and I’m not alone in this) I think that the 150 has superior mapping to the 184 and 190 TDI’s. Something about the 150 map seems to make them just as sprightly as the more powerful engines most of the time and I have found the 150’s I’ve driven to be smoother and considerably more fuel efficient than the more powerful ones so on that basis, for me I would be seeking out a 150 over a 190 as I would imagine a mapped 150 would be a far superior car than a 190. If the AWD isn’t 100% necessary (I would argue in this country it’s never necessary, but desirable especially if used as a towing car for the extra weight) and it needs to be a diesel, then I would seek out a 150 over a 190 but that’s only my personal experience.

You are probably correct as usual because having owned and mapped a 2013 Mk3 Octavia with the 150PS diesel engine (147bhp on the rollers at AmD) it went to 186bhp and torque went from 246lb/ft to a mammoth 317lb/ft it was just as smooth after the map and economy only dropped from a best of 71mpg standard to 70mpg afterwards.;)

• Like 1

I had a 2013 170 TDI Elegance Hatch which I swapped after 4 glorious years for a 66 plate 190 4x4 TDI SportLine which were very different beasts, so I might suggest that the 150 would be by far the nearest to your current Mk2. Now I've a Grey 2018 280 L&K as the SportLine was red and soon got fed up with the colour. Sleeper !

I had a 58 plate 170 TDI Elegance. I just traded it after many happy years. It was getting tired, bless it. I have just got a 17 plate TSI 220 SE L. Very similar car. I like them both. :rolleyes: