Vauxhall Corsa electric 2020 Fault (maybe faults) in first 6 weeks & various over the next 3 years.

Ootohere

1 hour ago, toot said:

@NeilMH

This is what the suspension was like when nearly new.   The springs are just like dead now.

Points to under testing of the electric version when it was launched which was always going to be an issue with the e-corsa being an adaption of the ICE corsa and just putting in say 20% stiffer coils is not enough.

When I was Dept Transport I recall reading one report which said that the damage to both car and road rose by the power of 4 ie not squared or cubed by the fourth power.

I oft wonder, and I know there were probably several reasons why you chose the e-corsa over say the Zoe that I got, but I have followed your frustration with both charging and dealership and wonder how different it might have been if you got the Zoe, which has probably the leader in the B segment electric vehicles back when you got your EV ?

Many do not like the Zoe styling, even I think it is a bit Mehh, but that range and just plain sorted out over a decade of development of the Renault Zoe through the 22 kwh and 30 kwh to the 52 kwh Zoe has led to quite a sorted car, EURONCAP issue a part of course, IMO. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@lol-lolI had a brand new Zoe for a run around the block today.

Hate the seats with no bolsters, the no arm rest & just the general seating position. Even the sill height, and sill to floor.

But i know what i like and like what i know. 

I hate a Renault Captures, in out and seats.

A Dacia Sandero Stepway was more suited to how i used to like seats.  The Jogger seat and seating position was dead right.

Anyway no more EV's for me as charging out and about gets stupid price wise in Scotland, i think i had the best of 'Much Cheapness; charging there will ever be in Scotland.

The Highlands Region Council are being ridiculous.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-64424890

http://thescottishsun.co.uk/motors/10161024/electric-car-chargers-scotland-free

Nothing wrong with fair prices, but 30 or 40  minutes max charge time on Rapids is hopeless. 60 minutes is fair enough.

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, toot said:

@lol-lolI had a brand new Zoe for a run around the block today.

Hate the seats with no bolsters, the no arm rest & just the general seating position. Even the sill height, and sill to floor.

But i know what i like and like what i know. 

I hate a Renault Captures, in out and seats.

A Dacia Sandero Stepway was more suited to how i used to like seats.  The Jogger seat and seating position was dead right.

Anyway no more EV's for me as charging out and about gets stupid price wise in Scotland, i think i had the best of 'Much Cheapness; charging there will ever be in Scotland.

The Highlands Region Council are being ridiculous.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-64424890

http://thescottishsun.co.uk/motors/10161024/electric-car-chargers-scotland-free

Nothing wrong with fair prices, but 30 or 40  minutes max charge time on Rapids is hopeless. 60 minutes is fair enough.

Indeed I would not describe the Zoe seats as a comfortable place to be and a disappointment for me compared to the Arkana and the Clio Nav S I have also.  No height adjustment and poorish bolstering as you say make the Zoe more suited to tow, inter or adjacent country travelling rather than the across the country trip.  That said I did take the Zoe down to Crawley from Worcester ie about 175 miles, charged up at my Heathrow office and great destination chargers at the client and did not feel to second hand but it is not is the same league as the mild hybrid Arkana which was nearly £10K cheaper despite being about 25% bigger rear seats and boot area and much better seats plus a range of 500 miles instead of 200 of course, 150 in the winter which excluded the Zoe being my only car.

Capture is suppose to same as Arkana but Arkana seems nice to be comfy wise.  Tall due to the 200 mm clearance beneath the car, designed to cope with Russian, Korean and Australian terrain.

Seen petrol at 144p a litre, plus still got the fuel card so petrol effectively sub 60p a litre , still waiting for our Octopus EV salary sacrifice scheme, be interesting to see what a model Y LR comes out as per month.  

Will avoid trying to pop in for a charge at Tebay recharging at the wrong times, a 6 hour wait to charge sounds like hell on Earth.

Andy Harris on Twitter: "Tesla tailback at Tebay. Around 40 cars waiting to  charge yesterday. The future? Pic C/O Metro newspaper.  https://t.co/HRMQByFLb1" / Twitter

4 hours ago, toot said:

PHEV?

3 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Will avoid trying to pop in for a charge at Tebay recharging at the wrong times, a 6 hour wait to charge sounds like hell on Earth.

Andy Harris on Twitter: "Tesla tailback at Tebay. Around 40 cars waiting to  charge yesterday. The future? Pic C/O Metro newspaper.  https://t.co/HRMQByFLb1" / Twitter

Yeah, my takeaway from that: avoid nice spots, do rapid charging at somewhere like an industrial estate.... at least until situation improves.

Edited by wyx087

1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

PHEV?

Yeah, my takeaway from that: avoid nice spots, do rapid charging at somewhere like an industrial estate.... at least until situation improves.

Either that or carry a few of these in the boot.......  (With some foldable solar panels).  I having issue with getting a proper/good earth but potentially it could give EV drivers some option.   

Our EV super hero Byorn Nyland has had some fun, as has the guy from carwow, running the cars to absolutely zero battery, oft some 20 miles beyond shown zero, then he has 4 kw of ECOFLOW batteries plus panels and then thinking about calling out the AA/RAC etc.  I think motoring organisation support/rescue vehicles should take up the mantle plus gas station get a move on ripping out fuel pumps and installing EV chargers as they are in a dying business if they do not, a few garages have but much more need to follow, sell lecky at 50p+VAT per kWh and coffee etc.    

71FWX8TR9FL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

Small local /privately owned filling stations selling the Brand name fuels that are usually more expensive than the Filling Stations at Supermarket locations have sometimes in the past months been cheaper than TESCO, ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and maybe any others.  Even ones that have Texaco or Esso might be charging more for their fuel than the privately owned Texaco or Esso locally.

They might help once done.  As it is today the car is worse than it was yesterday morning.     Also the car was shut down this morning and I needed to use the key in the door to get in then the fob to stop the alarm.  This is how it is everytime after it is touched by a Vauxhall tech. Or after over the air software updates.    Or at one place I park on the A77 overnight and nearly always the car shuts down.    So charging now and off for a run over the Cairngorms.  I will see what changes if any yesterday's update has done.   Maybe again it is to the reggening in B.  Maybe it reversed the last changes that really p|$$ed me off.  I hoped it had because all it did was always have the car when fully charged showing it would get 4 miles to a kWh.  Even as though the car could have 50 kWh of a charge and not the 45 kWh if it was charged to 100%. So the kidology range showed.  As when the cars arrived new   Then once  few miles it is back to around the 3 miles a kWh or less.    Good temp today getting towards the teens so it will be quite efficient or should be. 

Edited by toot

I can only imagine how annoying the inconsistency must be. I'd hate that. That's why I will keep one of my ultra reliable 30 year old Toyotas (although it will be used sparingly in view of the extension of ULEZ). So far my ULEZ compliant Rapid has been great but I've only had it for 2 months. I did consider a Zoe but I still remain to be convinced over infrastructure and real life inclusive costs.

• Like 1

Well i stopped charging on the Rapid because after 5 months of it not being on the CPS app or taking money they have activated it.

It was good while it lasted.

So off to Tesco to get 6 kWh for no money while buying munchies then i will see how things are.

DSCN2345.JPG

DSCN2347.JPG

DSCN2349.JPG

DSCN2352.JPG

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Back in September 2020 it would charge to 100%, not that slow from 90% and at not that slow 98% to 100%.

It would show the miles per kWh and then when charged show the range when charging worked out on the 4.5 miles per kWh, 3.1, 2.7 or whatever the car had been getting in a good while before going on the charger.   Like ICE vehicles.

Range dropped in 6 mile bits when driving.

If charging i could listen to the radio without ignition on or with ignition on, and sitting in the car parked not charging maybe 20 minutes before it shut off to battery saving mode.

Then September 2022 the Software update had it really not wanting to charge 98-100%, but leave it long enough and it would but it would show 180-190 miles range temperature dependent.

Range started dropping in 1 mile after it gets down to the 140 max range or what ever from the fictional 180 + miles.

I was able to listen to the radio when charging but no ignition on and only for 5 minutes if just sitting in the car, and no just switching it back on.

Now it does not want to charge above 98%. (Tomorrow i will try on my 3 pin charger and see if it will go to 99 or 100%.)

If the range was even near possible that would be amazing.  The radio will not stay on when charging if the ignition is not on.

It is turning off when driving then giving s bang, then lighting up and going blank, then i can switch it back on. 

Had a wee run to the Angus Glens before charging but really it sounds like the motor is going to die, the bearings are dry and it is on shortened springs and no dampers.

Otherwise it goes well and corners like a Kart. 

229 miles was back when new in 2020. 

That was coming back from the same run in winter but after lots of regening, on Cross Climate + tyres.

DSCN2355.JPG

DSCN5344.JPG.f3a6ec992b9bf74e736ff2d32b09293e.jpeg.151de8ef3b56001cadcace542078988d.jpeg

Just noticed the Chief Engineers name.

Screenshot 2023-02-04 19.26.20.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-04 19.27.33.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Barstewards.   Sitting at KwikFit, because they do Motability tyre repairs.   I did see a yellow chalk mark rear passenger side tyre.  Assumed it was techs mark to be sure tyres go back on same side as comes off.  Michelin Alpin 6.   On comes tyre pressure warning this morning and rear near side is 26psi.  Others 40 psi.    Screw in tyre 4" in.   So will see if it gets plugged.  Called Arnold Clark Service Centre to ask WTF.  The lady on the phone sees no issue with the Tech or the Service Manager not making me aware. Or leaving me to drive off with the screw in the tyre.   So once up the road it is on the phone to Motability Customer Services.  Then to Arnold Clark Head Quarters.  Then trust pilot and whoever takes my fancy.   First a health check at KwikFit if a ramp comes free, or if not to the ramp of an ex Vauxhall Technician of the years Garage.     

• Sad 1
  • Groan 1

Tyre plugged and just waiting till 1pm and the car away on a ramp for a MOT and DVLA examiner to have a wee look.    As to the tyre, Arnold Clark Customer Services have had that complaint in writing and by phone.  Now for Motability while I am waiting.   They might get a video shortly.  

1 hour ago, toot said:

Barstewards.   Sitting at KwikFit, because they do Motability tyre repairs.   I did see a yellow chalk mark rear passenger side tyre.  Assumed it was techs mark to be sure tyres go back on same side as comes off.  Michelin Alpin 6.   On comes tyre pressure warning this morning and rear near side is 26psi.  Others 40 psi.    Screw in tyre 4" in.   So will see if it gets plugged.  Called Arnold Clark Service Centre to ask WTF.  The lady on the phone sees no issue with the Tech or the Service Manager not making me aware. Or leaving me to drive off with the screw in the tyre.   So once up the road it is on the phone to Motability Customer Services.  Then to Arnold Clark Head Quarters.  Then trust pilot and whoever takes my fancy.   First a health check at KwikFit if a ramp comes free, or if not to the ramp of an ex Vauxhall Technician of the years Garage.     

Wow - I can't believe how bad the dealer is - shocking. I guess 40psi is because the usual addition for winter tyres?

40 psi because if at 36psi in cold weather that could bring the range to only 100 miles compared to 120 miles maybe @ 40 psi. 

Easy to drop the pressure if needs must.

The 205/45 R XL tyres are rock hard, and add to the rock hard ride even when the Suspension is new.   The cheaper models are on 16,s.    Waiting for Arnold Clark response.  

DSCN0614.JPG.14fbfdaa3454973d8575f225433af015.jpeg.3923991aac1a1e18e289ae3aff59365e.jpeg

DSCN5771.JPG.27a9b37d1c26fac7652ab9d8d385aad2.jpeg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

The Front of House Managers says sorry just a bit or a mix up.

As to an Automatic Courtesy cars, she is not sure if the Corsa Electric cars they have are automatics....

The Pure Genius product gurus at the Arnold Clark Innovation Centre in Glasgow need to maybe get out in their longest range EV's and have a wee tour around the Service Managers.

Maybe put them on a coarse.     

I was asked,

'Do you know how many employees Arnold Clark have?'    Well yes i do.   & Arnold Clark has colleges.. http://gtg.co.uk/about

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, toot said:

As to an Automatic Courtesy cars, she is not sure if the Corsa Electric cars they have are automatics....

Haha, what?

Ignorance does not excuse for poor service. It's actually more reflective of their poor conduct.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toot said:

sorry..... just...... a bit ......or a mix up.

Jeez! 😳

A tad unimpressive as a response and level of product knowledge, to say the least.

Gaz

• Like 1

Lori is doing a great job for Arnold Clark.  I assume they are an actual  person and it is not just them using ChatGPT / AI.

I will not bother calling them as i wait for the call from them having done an online form and a call in person to Customer Services Glasgow yesterday. 

Screenshot 2023-02-08 10.06.03.jpg

Edited by toot

Back at Arnold Clark Vauxhall Service Centre for the fitment of drop link.   Supposedly front drivers side.  Keys handed over and through to workshop at 8.40.   So I will see how things go. An automatic Corsa (electric) would have been available but as this should not take long I will just sit and wait.  Time booked for 8.00 am and should be less than a couple of hours.    It certainly should.  Lol not.   PS.  The other day the car did an over the air update and what ever had been updated that always had the car assuming that when charged it would get 4 miles per kWh disappears and it went back to being accurate to the last efficiency.  So today at around freezing it had 50% battery and showed 46 miles range.   20 miles later with a slow drive on ungritted roads and AC off it was getting 3 miles per kWh displayed and 41miles range. 47%.

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

Lol.  Cars moved.  Not a warm welcome today. Totally rubbered other than being asked for the keys.  No asking my name. Nothing to sign yet. Not asking would I like it washed.  No point, roads are filthy as my name must be dirt.    Down to 46% now at 8.14am.   I will see what it is at once the keys are handed back.    Nice that I can track it's location now and where it goes before I get it back.  And does it get a road test?

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

The service desk gent just showed me the removed drivers side drop link and the part wrongly sent for my car which is the left one.    No, it is not the same part in anyway.   The left one is shagged anyway.    So they are away to refit the crap drop link.     Corsas to the left of me, and to the right and a huge Service Centre Dundee if anyone want to check it out.      No point posting the Arse and elbow pic as that does not even begin to cover this shower. 

• Crying 1

The guy says the Tech heard me and checked the passenger side again and Vauxhall will not replace as it is ok.    Well I will not be bringing it back in to have more work done after they do this job right, if they do.   Motability can collect the car or arrange to have the repairs done at the Vauxhall workshop that is no longer a dealership for Vauxhall but has the trained and qualified  mechanics, equipment and does Vauxhall work for customers.  1 mile from my home.  They supplied and PDI,d the car.  Then left the Vauxhall Network.  They are still a Kia dealership. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

So right now in the torrential rain I am stuck at a rapid charger bay.  Unplugged after half an hour pressed start and up comes Gearbox error.  Tried a few times.  Same thing no drive.  Waited a minute.  Warning gone. Start and select drive and nothing.  Waiting a bit and about to call the RAC.   That will be a carry on, and on a flat bed.  And hopefully taken someplace to get a hire car.  Motability so that is ok, but I have hospital visits to do.   I might have to go get my diesel but that is 2 gallons for 54 miles instead of £3 electric.   We will see.    EDIT.  Comedy of errors.  So car stopped phone call as I was giving RAC details so had to go away from car to use phone.. 2,nd call handler says 3 hours for a responder, not a flat bed that will come later.   But they would get a taxi to take me home and get me my own car.  Fine.   Taxi office 200 yards away.. home 1 mile.    Txt comes in, a taxi on its way from Dundee 20 miles away to take me that 1 mile.  And not coming where I am but to the garage 100 yards across the car park because the RAC could not find on their map where the Charge Place Scotland Angus council chargers are in a car park. Only been here 4 years at least. 

Edited by toot
  • Sad 5