Skoda Fabia Mk3 REAR Parking Sensor *retrofit*

Brizoo

fuse is positive, ground is negative. only 1 driver (plus) still goes to the fuse, minus goes to the car body

you have a inappropriate unit, you need 3K instead of 4K. if you exchange it for a message, the first error will disappear (Open or Short to Ground)

3K means it is for 3 parking sensors
4K means it is for 4 rear sensors

Fabia 3 uses only 3 sensors at the back. the same problem was solved when adding front sensors - most units are 8K (ie 4K + 4K - 4 front and 4 rear sensors). Fabia 3 needs 7K units (4 front and 3 rear)

OK, I understand now!

Everything is properly plugged now, and I can communicate with the module. 

I have been able to look at the diagnostic page of the module in VCDS, and I have indeed Three of the four sensors responding, the other one is in ERROR State, normal I only have three.... which leaded me to understand there was a problem on the number of sensors handled by the module. Didn't knew there was different module and they are not compatible by just coding it and changing the number of sensors.

At least, the cables are properly done. Everything is okay. I just need the right module!

The good news for me is that I have another module to try out, but how to identify if this is a 3K or 4K module from the serial number? 
A 5Q0 919 283 F is a 4K module, That's OK, but how to find either a 7k or 3k one? What are the serial numbers I'm looking to, what is differenciating them, I will have a look on eBay when I'll know what to look at. 

Thanks again for your help @wirer, this is really appreciated. I was almost about to loose confidence on this, but you helped me regain it, and I know that I'm now almost there on my first "big" retrofit. 

edit: On your blog wirer, https://wirer.sk/f3_pdc-zadok/ the picture shows a module which is the same I have, I think this is where is my mistake, I just bought the same and wasn't looking at the fact there is mentionned "4k" onto it... I know, now where to look at. But is it the module you used in your car? 

Edited by Brizoo

One more thing, how to find the proper workshop number in order to initialize a brand new uncoded module? 
I have two modules and would like to try the second one I have as it might be a 3K module.

My VCDS doesn"t accept the coding with an error:  Error 31: Request out of range - Coding Rejected.
I sure this is realted with the workshop number as explained here: https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/997/ I need to properly enter it. But I can't find how to find the right one.. 

you won't find out from the photo, you have to connect the diagnostics and load the unit 10, ie the PDC, directly. at first glance they are the same, the difference is in the so-called dataset. it determines how many sensors the unit should display. unfortunately for us, only the Fabia 3 uses 3 rear sensors. all cars of the VW group I know use 4 rear sensors.
We solved a similar problem in the topic of front sensors - 7K or 8K. you will not find out by sight, only by diagnostics

8K / 4K can be converted via ODIS to 7K / 3K as needed. VCDS can't do it

I have never solved the workshop number, I leave what the VCDS program chooses. request out of range is a "request out of range" - you are trying to set something that a given unit or a given car does not know. my lay opinion ....

I think I don't have have any other choice than buying ODIS then! I'm looking on eBay to find a module, but it's almost impossible to be sure it comes from a Fabia... And if I buy 5 modules praying to have the right one, it will be really expensive. I've found an ODIS at 50€ on aliexpress. I might give it a go, unless you guys think about another solution. 
I will also call the nearest Skoda center from my home, but I know they won't be any help. Also we are confined at home and I'm afraid they will be closed. 

So, is ODIS my best shot? Is it easy to use and will I be able to flash the module in 3K version easily? 

I would have thought if you looked up a VW Group parts cat online, that in the Skoda section, in Fabia MK3 there would be a PDC listed that is a 3 sensor specific coded item with its own unique part number, and if you found one with that unique part number on ebay etc, you would end up with the correct item.

Edit:- I checked up on the the meant to be 3 rear sensor controllers and 5Q0 919 283D is listed for cars built up to 2/11/15 and 5Q0 919 283 F is listed for cars built after 2/11/15

So, if you have fitted the correct part number for your age of car, then you should be able to get someone near you who has VCDS to recode that controller to suit your exact car and number of sensors, there will be a "VCDS map" online somewhere that covers most areas of the world.

Another Edit:- Skoda Fabia rear 3 sensor only controllers are "283",  Skoda Fabia front 4 + rear 3 sensors are "284",  VW Polo rear 4 sensor only is "284" and VW Polo front 4 + rear 4 are "288" - obviously you need to add in the correct final letter ie D or F etc to each, but it still looks like "283" is still the correct only part number that supports "rear only 3 sensors" for Skoda Fabia MK3, I'm just curious and trying to help - but probably you have checked up on most of this already, just make sure that it is a "D" and not an "F" that you should have.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2020 at 07:15, Brizoo said:

I think I don't have have any other choice than buying ODIS then! I'm looking on eBay to find a module, but it's almost impossible to be sure it comes from a Fabia... And if I buy 5 modules praying to have the right one, it will be really expensive. I've found an ODIS at 50€ on aliexpress. I might give it a go, unless you guys think about another solution. 
I will also call the nearest Skoda center from my home, but I know they won't be any help. Also we are confined at home and I'm afraid they will be closed. 

So, is ODIS my best shot? Is it easy to use and will I be able to flash the module in 3K version easily? 

Hi @Brizoo did you get sorted? I have the 3K (well it says 4K on it) from my Fabia 3 if you interested? I recently added front PDC so no longer require the 3K setup i had. 

5Q0 919 283 D PM me if you need it :)  

As @rum4mo mentioned above mine is Fabia 3 MY15 so the module fitted from factory was 5Q0 919 283D. It should be plug and play in your case (I think)

Edited by singh946