Skoda Fabia Mk3 REAR Parking Sensor *retrofit*

Brizoo

Hi Guys,

Anybody here has the bad luck to have a Fabia Mk3 without rear PDC?

I need to have at least rear PDC for this car and i'm looking to retrofit them. 

So far, I have looked all over the internet and have reunited a list of links and articles that talk about it, and I've come with a parts list and an installation procedure to do this retrofit and most of the informations I need, however since there is no complete guide and I think I won't be the only one looking to do this retrofit, I've decided to write my own and share it to the community. 

I would need help from those who has already done this, or have it from factory in their car. If possible :) Especially with the VCDS coding.

Following this parts' list: https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2016-797/9/919-919055/#18 I should have everything I need (except the central harness, which I've found on kufatec and other websites).

So far, I have ordered some parts on eBay, others on skoda-parts and few on aliexpress. Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere!

- 5Q0 919 283 F - control unit PDC (only rear sensors, cheaper and enough for me, I don't want front PDC capablity) - I've found the "F" version on eBay at a very cheap price so I took this one instead of the "D" is it a problem?

- 6V6 971 065 - cable to connect sensors into the rear bumper and under the back seat

10x - 3D0 971 838 L cable tie with terminal socket (to fix the rear bumper cable in place)

- Internal harness custom (3 sensors for Fabia Mk3 on Kufatec: Cable set PDC control unit - central electrics - only rear for Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda MQB, Version 3 : item number 39658-8https://www.kufatec.com/en/assist-park/park-assist/cable-set-pdc-control-unit-central-electrics-only-rear-for-audi-vw-seat-skoda-mqb-39658-1?number=39658-8

3x - 5Q0 919 2753 - rear sensors

3x - 5Q0 919 133 9B9 - O ring sealing joints for sensors

- 6V9 919 485 - Rear Left sensor holder

- 6V9 919 485 A - Rear Center sensor holder

- 6V9 919 486 - Rear Right sensor holder

- 5Q0 919 279 - rear speaker

2x - N 038 501 2 - Plastic Rivet A6x12

I've found a PDF doc that explain the whole process here: http://skoda-zubehoershop.de/media/pdf/e8/3d/3e/6V0054630.pdf (I've attached it to this post in case the link goes down...)

Now I'm waiting to receive all the parts I've ordered :)

During this waiting time, anything you may think please do not hesitate to share it! Any help would be apreciated since this is the first time i'm trying to do such a big modification :)

Thanks for reading

6V0054630 rear parking sensor wiring_compressed.pdf

I fitted this to the front of my 2011 Audi S4, and as I did not want to revisit this area, ie remove the bumper in the future, I used Araldite bonding adhesive, bought from Halfords and ignored buying or using any stick on pads.  I also "scatter cashed" on a kit to punch the holes in the bumper and this kit also had mandrels and clamps to accurately locate and hold these sensor mountings while the bonding adhesive cured - it all worked out well, I'm sure that you already know that there will be X at the correct points on the inner face of the bumper. By buying the correct hole punching tool, you achieve the same quality of finish as at the factory this is due to the fact that you punch the hole in from the outer surface and in doing so it rolls in some of the painted surface and so kind of lines the hole.

Edited by rum4mo

All right, thanks for that information. I'll look at the cutting tool as it would definitely achieve a best finish to the hole and that's something I want. 

I have bought the pads already and they are really cheap, but I keep in mind that I can use the araldite adhesive as well!

I also have found out that there is a genuine kit including all necessary parts for this retrofit - 6V0 054 630 - and i've found it really cheap on eBay, but too late! I've already ordered all the parts and going through all orders to cancel would be awfull. So I'll keep my orders and just wait to receive them all :)

Thanks

• Like 1

While I'm waiting, I do not have informations how to connect the internal harness from kufatec in the fuse box of the car. If anyone knows that, it would be great help. 
And I also don't have the VCDS Coding to add rear sensors and Par Pilot when never enabled. 
Is anyone having those informations ?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Brizoo said:

While I'm waiting, I do not have informations how to connect the internal harness from kufatec in the fuse box of the car. If anyone knows that, it would be great help. 
And I also don't have the VCDS Coding to add rear sensors and Par Pilot when never enabled. 
Is anyone having those informations ?

Thanks

There you go mate https://wirer.sk/f3_pdc-zadok/ 

This is the tutorial by @wirer I am currently doing the Front parking sensor mod :) 

Looking at @wirer tutorial, When I google translate the page I don't really understand the part where I need to connect onto the fuse box. How can I find the pin number 35 ? I just have to count from 1 to 35 ? I'm ot sure how to find the right connector and how to connect onto it!
If you have more detailed explanations or pictures would be helpfull!
Thanks

Thanks a lot for your reply @wirer, Now I got it this is fuse box we are talking about!
Do I have to add a fuse, or there is already one but with nothing onto it? I should solder the cable, or this is just plug and play?

I'll have a look tonight, I should understand by looking at it I guess :) 

I've received the cable ! 
I'm good for the fuse box + ground connections to get the power.
But I do not find the box where I have to connect the can+/can- cable.

Here on the picture, I know that I have to connect it on some box, but I can't locate it. May someone please help me to find it ?

fabia-fuse_box.jpg.6d59cfa97a9eb471c82888c100d190b4.jpg

Thanks !

@Brizoo from the diagram it looks like BCM (Body control module). It is situated just above the pedals. when I was retrofitting light sensor and MFSW I removed the driver seat and laid on my back and found it easier to access it. 

Otherwise you will twisting and turning to find the correct cabling etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, singh946 said:

@Brizoo from the diagram it looks like BCM (Body control module). It is situated just above the pedals. when I was retrofitting light sensor and MFSW I removed the driver seat and laid on my back and found it easier to access it. 

Otherwise you will twisting and turning to find the correct cabling etc. 

And where did you managed to connect the can+/can- when you have retrofited the radar in your car ? Is there a simpler way to connect to the can bus or should I stick to connect to the BCM ?
Thanks for all your informations @wirer I'll take pictures and post on this post when I do the installation, I have to admit that the tutorial you did on your blog is really nice and complete, but some people may need an article in English :)

58 minutes ago, Brizoo said:

And where did you managed to connect the can+/can- when you have retrofited the radar in your car ? Is there a simpler way to connect to the can bus or should I stick to connect to the BCM ?
Thanks for all your informations @wirer I'll take pictures and post on this post when I do the installation, I have to admit that the tutorial you did on your blog is really nice and complete, but some people may need an article in English :)

@Brizoo you will have CAN+ / CAN- on the radio harness as well. May be pull up a diagram or sometimes if you remove the radio you will have diagram to suggest which pin is what?

I didn't have to do anything with CAN+/CAN- as Radar came standard on my car :) 

Edited by singh946

1 hour ago, singh946 said:

@Brizoo you will have CAN+ / CAN- on the radio harness as well.

Thanks mate, this is what I was thinking because I know that behind the radio this is cleary written and easy to find. 

The problem is that I think this is not "clean" and also the cable I have from Kufatec is too short. I will have to make an extension or something like that and I don't really want to do that. I will just stick to the official installation guide and plug it on the BCM. Since I'm a short person, I will fit under the seat without no problem :D 

4 minutes ago, Brizoo said:

Thanks mate, this is what I was thinking because I know that behind the radio this is cleary written and easy to find. 

The problem is that I think this is not "clean" and also the cable I have from Kufatec is too short. I will have to make an extension or something like that and I don't really want to do that. I will just stick to the official installation guide and plug it on the BCM. Since I'm a short person, I will fit under the seat without no problem :D 

No issues mate.....I totally understand the 'clean' approach. I did the same when I installed MFSW and dash light sensor. It was a massive pain to get access to the BCM. Being 6ft only way was to remove the seat. 

@singh946 and @wirer
I mean, the lateral plastic panel (or the right side of the trunk). Should I pull the plastic firmly? Is it only clips or is there any hidden screw?
I don't want to break it. 

Other than that I've had a first look this weekend to prepare for the installation maybe next week or the week after, the front part is okay. I've looked at the BCM, and I might use the can+/can- directly from the radio, but I don't have the tool to remove the radio.. So I think about buying one paie. Or maybe, I'll finally do it from the BCM. The only thing is that the cables attached to the BCM are short, so it is a bit complicated to access them. Maybe I will be able to access them from the side. I need to look better. 

So I have thought a bit, and bought a quick derivation connector

862094180_Connecteurdrivationtransversale.jpg.cf2be9a7875fbf9b7344ee054c04d2a4.jpg

I don't know if you guys have ever used this kind of connector? I thought it might be easier to connect can+/can- without have to solder in such a tiny space. 

Feel free to let me know what you think :)
Thanks

If you check this thread it describes tools required to remove the radio. You should be able to get them from Halfords?

The wire harness plugged into the BCM in the mk3 fabia are short meaning you need more access from underneath to get them. Hence why I suggested removing the driver bench as you really need to extend your hands inside :( 

I will suggest to get the keys and get the radio out to tap into CAN +-

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

I have attempted to route the harness that i've received from Kufatec but it seems the harness is too short. 
The manual provided by kufatec (which is for Audi A3...) suggest to route the harness from the rear left of the car, but since the rear bumper is only accessible from the rear right side of the car, that makes the harness too short because I need to go to the front left of the car by going under the rear seats. 

So be carrefull if you want to buy this cable from Kufatec, it's not the right cable they make it too short!

Here is the picture of their installation manual they privide with the cable: 

466256955_Capturedcran2020-10-21113604.jpg.ee01ff0af1f118e9dcb0c392b7d86428.jpg

In green the route that the cable should take, in red the route for which the kufatec cable is made for. Which not adapted to a Fabia... 
So, I'll try to find another cable and try again. I'll keep you guys in touch. 

Thanks,

I think that sometimes Kufatec etc cabling is LHD specific and that it can cause "length" issues at times when applied to RHD cars, certainly I seem to remember that when I retro fitted front PDS to my 2011 Audi S4, I'm sure that I searched the online world for advice and past experience from people that actually did this job, and ended up running the cables down the RHS where Audi used the LHS.

One thing that I'll say for these cable kits is, at least you are starting off with a set of correct connectors and correct wiring schedule, anything else like length is a bonus in my mind, so I bought reels of the same gauge car wiring and extended mine where necessary, although in my case, it was only on the bumper that the length was too short, easily sorted out with the correct materials + tools + ability - though maybe slightly disappointing!

Edit:- just remember to stagger the splicing points in the cable to avoid ending up with a single large "bunch", materials like wire + cable wrapping tape + heat shrink tubing are needed, I'd suggest making up a wiring schedule of the cabling first before chopping it up, Kufatec wiring tends to have extremely small numbering printed along its lengths. 

Edited by rum4mo

Thanks @rum4mo, really appreciated your help here.

I think I well end up by extend my cable and have well noted your advises to do so.

I have the ability of doing it, I just need some material. I have shrink tubes of the correct size and soldering tools, but no wires and wrapping cable. May you please indicate me which cables and tape are necessary in order to build an extension that looks like the original cable? If you have a link on some website or a reference would be awesome!

Thanks a lot

For wiring, I bought:- From Vehicle Wiring Products LTD – 30meter reel of slate coloured thinwalled 16/020 multi strand wire, and 30meter reel of slate coloured thinwalled 32/020 multi strand wire. This company have/had an online presence.

Now, the two different gauges of wire were bought just to match that used by Kufatec, some wires are either single signal wires or single +12V or 0V wires, but some others are distribution wires going eventually to points where they are branched off to individual sensors, for instance, for the section connecting the bumper to the system, each sensor has a signal output, a +12V and a 0V wire, so with a system using 3 sensors, a total of 5 wires, a 4 sensor system will have 6 wires - I just measured they conductors after cutting them to see which gauge of wire best suited each one.

Cable wrapping tape, some years ago, while looking for something on ebay, I "bumped" into a seller selling "cable wrapping tape as used by M-B and BMW etc, it looked okay so I bought it - and finally found a use for it, the description might include "fabric" as these tapes do include a synthetic fabric for strength. The tape I bought is branded "tesa" made by tesa AG in Hamburg Germany and is 20mm wide.

Edit:- like this for instance -  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESA-19mm-x-15m-TAPE-PET-FLEECE-ADHESIVE-CLOTH-FABRIC-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS/293355420680?epid=6031187042&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item444d587c08:g:ukQAAOSwPw5eFaKi&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkvjzWOStkxwnlDuxSI1PVVvdpvErcxbaoB54US1mCsMR1hVsB9hRM%2BvDsZplCaLXQ6XyIKqYqZ9qpbf1IvceKhVfG8gLBrGEgCy8uGB5geoqHguMEKUYJbfmM4bLol69KJP8Z4b%2FX8zEhydL9qYZuNrL55bxo%2FaRiQCw%2F82BVWf%2FPESSfXAFG61kz4fDx99yEKGWLFnB%2F1tO6K6B8zgxFuu89bybQlRZcJYW3e9uD9KeffQnl7W2LsmkRwFYSQaiQEmhpmurPx%2Fg7ordvCxvfuntPKpcsDbKpTwk7OWQh89XbwWle3%2BKzhlWMIUMYBQWySPGgyMa%2FfKdWJgto1C4IecurR7s7HwTQoYYSZCoA03v7bnhcve%2FbRjlKb%2FV9ZSOel%2FMrYUpC9euzkBiYN62iT0XU2RStu5tvZOlMhmgYU%2BRFeg5PGxJ7iWsVSi8Bx2cNvKA4MeWjP3oITo%2BKxEwwYoJqMASguN8****lQI%2BbvecJa47NaYElgauNjPgnd%2B5ZU9RL19ufU5I%2BXU6zBg8t2LGUqjnmVxDxbH9E4cFgZKeUSImHbrbgg16IwEOk2wfHG7HbIzGvfyqFEzPJl8K6Bsc9DyJQTKCW6qbFqifNcMCC37rE3ap%2BXu8QQinHwzRSgFhaqHiI6tD%2FngXZFoi6jx1vGfiTEGSXScneYxEFPt7iBa2v7Nzx6gSWDds6rG8Sec%2FdjpSnsdVpWKKgHWcfc0cZ%2F5xkqrckYmMqOSVQFuBu32FSWPdlc5oCXlhqZlQ6vsOYzPiEQlN9Z8s93L8I%2FQ%3D%3D|cksum%3A293355420680cf4b38e3e336437d979b91840103255c|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

I was wrong, my tape is 19mm not 20mm! 

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update guys!

I have finished the installation, routing the cable and drilling holes was easy as well as removing the rear bumper. But the hard part for me is connecting to the fuse box. 

Just to be sure, you only connect one cable to the fuse box? Not two? ( One positive and one negative) And you have to tape it on an existing cable (if you don't want to add a fuse) . 

Since I have no extra fuse, I have connected my harness to the black/grey câble position 30 like indicated on the installation manual. 

Now that everything is connected, I have tried to configure with vcds (easy part for me..)

But my controler is not responding. 

I think my câbles are not properly connected. 

How Can I check that everything is good? 

Any suggestions @wirer

Thanks guys. 

Hi Guys,

Finally able to communicate with the Park Assist controller!

I have done all the coding and the radio is displaying Park Pilot when engaging the reverse gear. 

But, I have an error message "park pilot not available" and two errors in the controller:

Address 10: Park/Steer Assist       Labels: 5Q0-919-283.clb
Control Module Part Number: 5Q0 919 283 F    HW: 5Q0 919 283 
  Component and/or Version: PARKHILFE 4K  H10 0054
           Software Coding: 0000050001

2 Faults Found:

1079316 - Center Rear Right Parking Aid Sensor 
          B1078 14 [009] - Open or Short to Ground
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 184
                    Mileage: 31398 km
                    Date: 2020.10.31
                    Time: 14:09:51

12658704 - Databus 
          U1121 00 [008] - Missing Message
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 184
                    Mileage: 31398 km
                    Date: 2020.10.31
                    Time: 14:09:35

It looks like there is a problem with one censor... Do you guys confirm I should dismount the rear bumper again to change this censor? I have one in spare... I just don't want to do it for nothing.
Thanks for your help