MY21/Infotainment/Skoda Connect issues

alex_leigh67

X-Posted from FB group, apologies but hoping might be someone on here with an idea.

So MY21 Infortainment (all versions I think) should have access to Connect Apps on the Infotainment system. I've seen vids of weather etc being added to a shortcut.

This pre-supposes (I think) you have a 'connect' icon off the menu. I don't have that! I have set connect up and the app talks to the car. I can see the eSim is working because if I toggle privacy settings, the app goes dark. I now have all privacy to 'come and get me' mode 😉

So I think what I should have is a connect icon and inside that a set of lovely apps I can run. But I seem to have a blank space where the icon should be

Update of sorts. I went 'full nuclear' reset to factory settings, removed connect user from car, removed car from iphone app.
Re-added car (using same email etc) using camera/vin, all looked good showed I had a subscription including apps.

Then added myself back to car, and made primary user and... nothing, still no connect in display. But app works, can talk to car and car has the 'connected' icon so the eSIM is working.

I do have a new funny. Now when you load the 'shopping' app, it says 'activating turn ignition on'. I tried that for 15 mins including driving to somewhere I know has a strong mobile signal. That didn't make any difference.

I have sent a video to my dealer, so if I get an update I'll post it back here. It's not the end of the world and I've better things to worry about, but it'd be good to get to the bottom of it. If only to justify how much time I've spent trying to fix it last night/this morning!

• Thanks 1

Well the shopping app has resolved itself. Carplay sulked for a bit giving me a blank screen but a bit of POPO (Power Off, Power On) diagnostics sorted that. Speed alerts were in KMH for a bit but that seems to have resolved itself.  I've even worked out out to use the shortcuts. However the actual core issue still exists and I'm out of ideas.

Also I now know the SE-L is equipped with Amundsen not Columbus. I realised this when I received a video from the dealer with a slightly different interface ;)

Well the short answer is 'nobody knows'.. so it'll need to go to a dealer to have it looked at.

While it's there, they can code/fix turning the rear parking sensors off when the trailer is attached ;)

No biggie, love the car.  Won't be in a rush to book it in.

Have you tried locking or unlocking the car with app? Mine wouldn't work at first, I got a message saying that for added security I had to take my driving licence to my dealer for them to fully activate Connect. They did and certainly my app now works fine.

Interesting.. I never tried that and it tells me I can't do it.  Never tried that before!

Right I'll ask the original dealer to do so as they asked for my driving license. Clearly didn't use it to authorise the app!

Thank you very much. Hopefully this might be a solution.

IMG_4735.png

Edited by alex_leigh67

I don't know why - probably me when I set it up, but I had to go into permissions on the app and allow it to access mobile data before it would work - and that was after the faff at the Skoda dealer who didn't know anything about it when I took my license down.

9 minutes ago, alex_leigh67 said:

That's definitely enabled. Somehow it's chewed through 12 meg in a week!

Perhaps the online map updates? 

Do you have to pay extra for the data downloads, or is it included in the free one year subscription? I can't see any details of this anywhere.

@CJJE sorry I wasn't clear. That's how much the app on my phone has used. No idea what's going through the eSim in the car. 

When I collected it, I let it start an update to something or other (was kind of stressed so didn't do much other than click 'ok'!). Car definitely uses eSim as it talks to app. Internet radio doesn't work tho. I think that's 'free' with eSim if you can get it to work.

If you want the car to act as a wireless hotspot, you need to sign up to Skoda's pet data supplier. I have no idea why you'd ever want to do that tho!

• Thanks 1

Well potentially exciting times. The dealer I bought it from have been - let's be charitable - less responsive than I would hope.  However my local dealer is going to give it a go so we'll see what happens.

I spoke to Skoda directly and their view was it's two separate issues. They don't expect authorising the app will fix the 'where the heck is my skoda connect' icon issue.  So we'll see. Worse case at least my local dealer gets the problem so I can book it in there,

Edited by alex_leigh67

As far as I can tell my Connect / infotainment is working as it should. I seem to get a message every day telling me that I'm sharing my data and is that OK? I click OK as any of the other privacy options just result in most of the useful features turning off.

Also I think I now understand two other messages: One tells me that my profile is not protected by the S-pin, so I have followed the instruction and enabled the protection. This then seems to require me to enter the S-pin when I switch on the infotainment, (which is not a good idea when driving). So I enter the S-pin and tick the remember S-pin box and I don't get prompted again.

However, when I switch off ignition it then once again says "profile is not protected by S-pin". My conclusion is that you can only have one or the other?

That's my understanding. If you click the 'remember me' box you won't get asked for your S-Pin again.

I guess the real issue is how good is the app security. As without the App/VIN/Skoda connect-ID/PWD there's not much you can do (unless Skoda gets hacked which of course is a possibility!).

I have a very strong password and an email I use very rarely and only with secure services. 

I expect I'll decide the 'value' of allowing access is not worth the potential 'cost' at some point in the future. I'd like to get it working first tho to be sure!

A thrilling update ;) Or not.

So now the dealer has activated the car so the app now lets me lock and unlock it.

As I suspected this has made NO difference to the problem with the 'Skoda Connect' Icon not appearing in the menu.

I did have a wild five minutes of hope, subsequently dashed, when I thought the internet radio might work. This after I deleted / re-added myself as the primary user. Before doing so I was getting notification saying 'you can't get i-radio without being primary user'. Sadly completing that step didn't fix it either.

In fact now it won't connect to either the internet-radio or the 'shop'. So while bits of it are fixed, other bits are ... er .. let's call them differently broken.

The other connect stuff in the nav like parking, fuel station etc all seems to work.

I'm sort of past caring but I would like to get to the end of the journey somehow. I think that means physically taking it to the dealer.

Alex,

Perhaps your Rainworth (Sheffield) Service Advisor could tell the Rainworth (Mansfield) Service Advisor (Dan) how to do it?

Visited yesterday to have  2 Service Recalls sorted (Sunroof drain and possible fuel line leak) but they failed to activate the Lock/Unlock function via the Skoda Connect App as requested. I left them with a copy of my driving licence on the promise of  (as yet undelivered) of a call back!

Not the level of service I've had previously :sadsmile:

Hi Rob. Yeah they've not been great. I ended up getting my local dealer to do it after Rainworth (Olly - Sheffield) couldn't get access to the portal or something. They weren't great at calling back so I had to chase them a few times. They promised to call me back tomorrow so we'll see if they notice someone else has done it. I'll let you know if they work out how to do it.

Bit disappointing. I've kind of given up with them and will drop if off to my local dealer in Tewkesbury. Who we've bought a couple of cars off and their service has been a bit patchy as well. Hence not buying this one from them.

Hi Alex, Rob,

I must admit I didn't realise that I could get web radio via the e-sim, I did try it and I'm pretty sure it said I needed to connect via Wi-fi but I spent so long going round in circles trying to access the "shop" and being told I wasn't the primary user when the welcome screen said I was! that my memory isn't that good!

My dealer (in Ipswich) was really good at enabling the app though but they are too far away from yourselves to help. But I still need to discuss with them a solution to sort out my unwanted almost full size spare wheel.

I have tried Android Auto and that works OK although I personally find the built in sat nav is better than Google maps if only because Google maps don't completely fill the screen, in all other respects I think my "Connect" is working OK so I will try web radio tomorrow - I might find it works but I won't hold my breath..

Rod

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ex_Yeti said:

Hi Alex, Rob,

I must admit I didn't realise that I could get web radio via the e-sim, I did try it and I'm pretty sure it said I needed to connect via Wi-fi but I spent so long going round in circles trying to access the "shop" and being told I wasn't the primary user when the welcome screen said I was! that my memory isn't that good!

My dealer (in Ipswich) was really good at enabling the app though but they are too far away from yourselves to help. But I still need to discuss with them a solution to sort out my unwanted almost full size spare wheel.

I have tried Android Auto and that works OK although I personally find the built in sat nav is better than Google maps if only because Google maps don't completely fill the screen, in all other respects I think my "Connect" is working OK so I will try web radio tomorrow - I might find it works but I won't hold my breath..

Rod

My understanding of the WiFi is it's only if you want to run an internal hot-spot. And for that you need to sign up for a separate data plan. So the eSim should deal with all the connect / software update / internet radio. However this may be an incorrect assumption based on how little I've read of anyone getting it working.

App is now enabled, but it'll need to go to the dealer to sort the other issues. I'm not massively confident they can fix it, but we'll see. I use CarPlay and I really like it. Yes it's nice to have the full screen nav but otherwise it's great to have all those apps seamlessly integrated. First car I've had that does that.

• 2 weeks later...

Re adding the News and Weather apps to your car...

The Skoda Storyboard website added this page on the 1st of October: https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/for-weather-and-news-skoda-launches-infotainment-apps-in-scala-kamiq-karoq-kodiaq-and-superb/

But this also says that the apps are only available for Karoqs with the Columbus infotainment system. So if you have the Amundsen like I will, we are out of luck it seems!

Chris

Ah interesting @CJJE - I've not done anything about it as I've been busy. I probably won't bother taking it to a dealers until lockdown is done whatever.

I'd still like to get the internet radio stations working. And even if I can't have weather, I'd still like my icon :)

Yep Amundsen here. Looking at the link, it seems they have it working on Kamiq Admundsen's so maybe we'll get a version at some point later.

Edited by alex_leigh67

2 hours ago, alex_leigh67 said:

Ah interesting @CJJE - I've not done anything about it as I've been busy. I probably won't bother taking it to a dealers until lockdown is done whatever.

I'd still like to get the internet radio stations working. And even if I can't have weather, I'd still like my icon :)

Yep Amundsen here. Looking at the link, it seems they have it working on Kamiq Admundsen's so maybe we'll get a version at some point later.

The owner's manual certainly suggests we should get internet radio - which has annoyed my wife as I've found Dylan Radio on the web!

I know some people have been successful. It seems a bit of a lottery tho. My guess is something needs enabling and it might be a dealer thing.

I still don't know why VAG/Skoda have some many different infotainment systems. Must be a nightmare to support.

Evolving software in the cars has resulted in 3 generations, designated MIB1, MIB2 & MIB3. These get badged differently in Skodas, SEATs, VWs and Audis but are fundamentally the same internally. And then you get different price levels - like Bolero (with sat nav), Amundesn (with sat nav) and Columbus (top of the range) in Skodas, or other names in SEATs, VWs & Audis.

• 3 weeks later...

Well now my car has arrived and I can try exploring the MIB 3 Amundsen!

Like others I've found that the radio logos are missing for some national stations ClassicFM and Smooth, while they are provided for niche local stations! Plugging a USB drive in with all the logos like I used to with an SD card on my Golf doesn't work as you can't tell the Amundsen to look for it.

I've also tried using the Internet radio, but although the car is connected online, selecting this option just gives me a massage that it is searching for categories... (presumably the genres available). But it then gives up and says it's not available. 

Having been warned by others in this thread that they had to get Connect authorised at the dealers, I asked about this when I picked up my car. But my dealer was confident I wouldn't need this and suggested it was only needed if the car had been set up for a different user first. And sure enough, I was able to link the car and phone app this morning without any apparent problems. 

I've been able to add locations to the satnav, using either addresses, post codes, or lat/long coords (as 54.12345, -1.12345 for N54.12345 and W1.12345), then store them with my own name. But if you try searching for a location by name, there doesn't seem to be a way of telling it the nearest town. Or by filtering within a particular POI category. 

I've tried selecting my preferred POI categories (which I'm hoping means that they will then get shown on the map like my old Golf's satnav did). But am a bit bemused as the list of categories were all in German until I changed the order it was presenting them in. The file seems to be a VAG-wide one, as I can select VW dealers, MAN-dealers etc as well as Skoda ones!

However the manual is diabolical (even the downloaded version) and I'm sure many customers will struggle to work out how to use it. Perhaps I need to study it and write a 'Dummy's Guide to the MY21 Amundsen'?

Chris 

Edited by CJJE