280 4x4

Hi, I'm after a 280 estate. Either Sportline or L&K. Ideally a few years old and max 23k. Ideally it would have DSC. Can anyone tell me if it is a essential extra? I'll be moving from a VRS Octy? Thanks loads. 

Chris

1 minute ago, Supertyke said:

Hi, I'm after a 280 estate. Either Sportline or L&K. Ideally a few years old and max 23k. Ideally it would have DSC. Can anyone tell me if it is a essential extra? I'll be moving from a VRS Octy? Thanks loads. 

Chris

I think you mean DCC adaptive dampers. They are more likely to be found on the L & K which would sit 5mm higher than a Sportline on normal passive dampers which are 15mm lower than a S, SE or SEL.

Although my 2019 Sportline does not have DCC you can still take roundabouts and corners at very high speeds (even higher than my previous 2017 Octavia Vrs245 could) and the main thing you notice is the total traction all the time even in the wet so you start to wonder if the traction control light has been disconnected. The 4WD grip is amazing and it may be a part-time system but when you need it either launching from a standstill or pressing on it still amazes me how effective it is even after more than 9,000 miles so far since collecting it last December.

They do sound like fab cars. Mine will do low mileage as commutes are minimal and it will be the family load lugger. Kids plus large dog. I just want the ride to be comfortable. My Octy is too firm. How's the ride on yours compared to the Octy?

Both the Octy and 272 feel firm at say 30mph in town and can thump on badly surfaced/pot holed urban roads. However pick up the pace (17 miles of my commute is motorway) and ride is better in the Superb even though both cars are lowered the same 15mm compared to less sporty models in their range. Wife was quite happy sitting in the sports seats in the Sportline for 5 hours straight as we did a recent 280 mile drive down to Newquay in Cornwall whereas she probably would have asked me to stop after 3 hours in the Octy. Small thing probably only available on the later 272 Sportline Plus is standard Dynamic Progressive steering which is very good indeed but not sure whether it was available on the earlier 280 model. Think the longer wheelbase in the Superb gives the better ride. My car even has lower than standard 235/35R19 Michelin tyres.

• Thanks 1

Overall with or without DCC, the 280/272 is tuned more towards comfort. 

My non DCC 280 sportline is OK in town but feels nice and pliant (not wallowy) at higher speeds e.g. motorway speeds. 

With DCC I guess you have more modes to choose from to alter it a bit. 

• Like 1

I've just picked up an L&K 280 hatch with the DCC and I believe it's standard fit on the L&K. 

I suppose the hard thing about trying to find a Sportline with it fitted is that it's a rare option plus some sellers won't even know if it's fitted. 

It's a rare car full stop, I looked for a couple of months and there was never more than 7 for sale under 25k and 2017 or newer. And that was both bodystyles and all trims.  

The L&K definitely firms up in sport mode but my suspension is softer than the sportline so maybe it would be okay on passive dampers?

Good luck finding what you want though

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gez280 said:

I've just picked up an L&K 280 hatch with the DCC and I believe it's standard fit on the L&K. 

I suppose the hard thing about trying to find a Sportline with it fitted is that it's a rare option plus some sellers won't even know if it's fitted. 

It's a rare car full stop, I looked for a couple of months and there was never more than 7 for sale under 25k and 2017 or newer. And that was both bodystyles and all trims.  

The L&K definitely firms up in sport mode but my suspension is softer than the sportline so maybe it would be okay on passive dampers?

Good luck finding what you want though

Yes, choice is limited. I would be happy with a L&K as well, just even harder to find. I spotted a 2016 model, but I am not sure it has the DCC that far back?

Someone on here posted the old brochures for the superb, not sure if they went back to 2016, but try Google if not. It gives you the standard equipment. I thought all 280s had it until I read that.

• Thanks 1

I bought my 280 Sportline wagon a year ago. I thought i'd done enough research before buying it, but I hadn't.

in my opinion, it's a great load lugger, but the suspension is way too wallowy.

I should have got one with DCC.

I don't like the chrome on L&K, which is one of the reasons why I ignored it.

I paid a grand for the supply and fitting of uprated shockers and uprated rear anti roll bar, and this has sorted the naff suspension.

Apart from that, I've no complaints. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Supertyke said:

Nope, the 2016 one I was just looking at doesnt have DCC. Must have been standard in later years. 

Hang out for a L&K with DCC. I was just lucky with my purchase timing. I have had 2 Octavia VRS and took a bit of self-convincing to look at the L&K Superb, the brilliant options convinced me. Mine is on 18x235x45 profile tyres and a bit floaty on gentle twisting A roads in Normal mode. Switching DCC to Sport mode transforms the handling on the same twisty A roads. If possible test drive one with DCC and one without and you'll see what I mean immediately.

Agree with Redboy, the L&K with DCC is a bit soft with excellent ride in normal mode and better damped with firmer ride but much better handling in sport mode, you can choose which you want. Sportline with DCC is harder and noisier in both modes because of the lowered springs and bigger wheels with lower profile tyres (yes I drove both). I wouldn't like to have either without DCC, OK for cruising but too bouncy if you want to hack along.

So I'd say DCC is a must with the 272/280, L&K or Sportline is a personal preference depending on equipment level and looks -- I think the Sportline looks a bit boy-racer tacky and is missing some things I wanted, others think the L&K looks too limousiney and is over-specced. YMMV :-)

Hi, actually the dealer with the 2016 L&k has just confirmed it does have DCC. So that is a big tick. I live rurally with some poor roads, so big alloys and low ride isn't great for me. Will check this one out. Thanks for all your replies. 

@IanJD Can you confirm the ride height of the L&K vs sportline plus (both dcc)?  Been trying to find out but not been able to find concrete evidence.  I saw some reviews writing that the dcc equipped car ride 10mm lower than standard regardless of spec.  L&K  without dcc is standard height and SLP without is 15mm lower.

Please can you confirm this? (or not...)

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

@IanJD Can you confirm the ride height of the L&K vs sportline plus (both dcc)?  Been trying to find out but not been able to find concrete evidence.  I saw some reviews writing that the dcc equipped car ride 10mm lower than standard regardless of spec.  L&K  without dcc is standard height and SLP without is 15mm lower.

Please can you confirm this? (or not...)

These are the specs I found when I was looking into it:

Normal ride height: 149 mm (+/-20 mm)

DCC ride height: 139 mm (+/-20 mm)

Sport suspension ride height: 134 mm (+/-20 mm)

As far as I know when you spec DCC on the Sportline is ends up 5mm higher than it is without DCC so its probably the same hardware as the L&K.

• Thanks 1

On 08/10/2020 at 22:07, Gez280 said:

I was lucky enough to find a 2017 Skoda approved Sportline hatch with DCC just pre-lockdown :) at a lot less than that money - although with 35,000 miles. Very glad of both the DCC and 4x4 after having previously leased a 2016 L&K Diesel estate. The previous car used to spin the front wheels at the slightest sniff of damp road surfaces.

I knew I wanted DCC, and if you're in the mood it transforms a comfortable cruiser into a real corner eater, honestly I've been driving for more than 30 years had VWs, BMW, Volvo, Fords, even ordered one of the first Chrysler 300Cs in the UK, this is without doubt the best car I've ever owned!

Only thing missing in my opinion is a more melodic engine sound, but that's just a sign of the times I suppose.

When new, there's a real dilemma on the options lists - if you're leasing, you'll pay handsomely for each non-standard option, usually the full cost over your lease period, so if DCC was say £750, the first owner would pay £250 per year on their 3 year lease. I optioned the variable boot floor on my previous estate, that was well worthwhile in the end. So when you're looking at used, there's generally either DCC or Canton, or Heated Seats or Sunroof, but rarely all of them.

On the Canton front, my Sportline doesn't have it, the L&K did, but once you've tweaked the sound settings it's not a disaster. Bonus is that you get some decent large storage bins either side of the boot where the subwoofer would've been - ideal for all those wine / beer / spirits bottles to be kept upright  :beer:

The other problem is avoiding an original sale price of over £40k, as you'll then be in the higher VED bracket until the car is over 5 years old.

Good luck with the search.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 08:22, Supertyke said:

The 2016 LK I have seen is just under 19k with 50 k on the clock. Does this seem a little steep? 

No that's about the right price at the moment, prices have gone up by a few thousand since the beginning of the year

Having said that there are some much newer and low mileage cars available for not much more (AutoTrader)

Edited by ChrisCh