Failed MOT on emissions?

REG: OS09NYA

Hi Everyone,

My fabia's MOT was due recently and I took it to a nearby garage and they tested it a couple of times, and said the car failed the MOT on emissions. I was a bit surprised as it's only a 2016 car. The official reason was 

Repair immediately (major defects):

Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (a))

Now, he's saying the catalytic converter needs to be replaced and I can either go for a manufacturer part at £1420 or aftermarket part at £540 + £150 labour (whichever part I go with).

How likely is it that he's not trying to rip me off or his machines not working properly? Is the price he's quoted me a decent price? Does it really need a catalytic converter replacement?

Any advice would be helpful, because I really don't want to go broke fixing my almost new car.

Thanks

Sonya

Do you have a copy of the printout from the emissions tester for the MOTs?

Your car had 2 on the same day with about 4 miles in between so they might have done a "Italian  Tune-up" to try to get the emissions down for the second test. Do you mainly do short urban trips in the car or does it get good runs on 60/70mph roads?

This looks like a 1.2tsi 90bhp EA211 engine, correct?

Unusual for a close coupled catalytic convertors to fail especially at this age and mileage (about 38k iirc according to MOT history)

First question I would ask the tester is, "Is there any evidence the catalytic convertor has been tampered with, removed or replaced with a non original unit?" What I'm getting at is has it had a decat or sports cat fitted. If so then previous owner(s) has made an illegal modification to the car and you should perhaps persue that line of enquiry.

Is the MOT station a reputable place? Dealer, national network , trusted independent?

I checked using your reg on autodoc.co.uk and yes those cats are expensive.

I would still be wary of changing it until other possibilities have been ruled out such as fauty lambda (oxygen) sensors.

Has it had the engine or EPC warning light on when running?

Edited by xman

1 hour ago, xman said:

This looks like a 1.2tsi 90bhp EA211 engine, correct?

I would still be wary of changing it until other possibilities have been ruled out such as fauty lambda (oxygen) sensors.

Has it had the engine or EPC warning light on when running?

Yes that's correct. The MOT tester is a local branch, literally outside my house, and my cousin who's worked as a mechanic before, knows him through trade and recommended him to me.

No engine lights or anything. Car has been working completely. Just had oil and oil filter change before MOT. 

1 hour ago, Liger1956 said:

Do you have a copy of the printout from the emissions tester for the MOTs?

Your car had 2 on the same day with about 4 miles in between so they might have done a "Italian  Tune-up" to try to get the emissions down for the second test. Do you mainly do short urban trips in the car or does it get good runs on 60/70mph roads?

About 70% driving on urban trips and the rest on motorways, so it does go up to 60/70 mph quite a bit. (about once every 2 weeks)

Fingers crossed it passes!

If there is a big difference in emission figures between garage a and garage b (they are obliged to give you the emission test result sheet with all the emission figures), then lodge a complaint to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-an-mot

Keep the results as evidence.

They may have faulty equipment, calibration or procedure, or deliberately manipulated results in order to fraudulently attempt to con you out of several hundred pounds. (Let DVSA decide this) The fact you are a woman may have something to do with it......don't forget to mention it to your cousin too!!! 

Let us know what transpires.

53 minutes ago, Sunny_Kay said:

Took it to a different garage just now after work and it's passing emissions without me doing anything to it

It'll be interesting to see the numbers on the emissions report if you wouldn't mind letting us know. :)

It's just passed with no advisories at all. I've attached the emissions report. Can anyone translate this for me? Is it barely passing or was the other guy just plain wrong? 

20201012_184158.jpg

24 minutes ago, Sunny_Kay said:

It's just passed with no advisories at all. I've attached the emissions report. Can anyone translate this for me? Is it barely passing or was the other guy just plain wrong? 

20201012_184158.jpg

First of all congratulations, bet that's a relief.

It passed CO and HC emissions with near perfect scores! Lambda was at upper limit but still passed (running slightly lean)

Please post the results from the garage that failed you so we can compare.

Edited by xman

Just now, xman said:

First of all congratulationd, bet that's a relief.

It passed CO emissions with near perfect scores! Lambda was at upper limit but still passed (running slightly lean)

Please post the results from the garage that failed you so we can compare.

I'm actually jumping for joy that I don't have to fork out hundreds of pounds to pass the mot on my almost new car. The relief is stupendous. I don't have the results (didn't even think of it in the shock and confusion to be honest) from the first garage, as they were closed by the time I got back today, but I will definitely try and get the printout from him tomorrow if he still has it. Will update if I get it. 

They are obliged to keep printed copies of the emission results for a minimum of 3 months and (maybe) also log them in the DVSA system which records all MOT results. They should have attached a printed copy to your VT30 (refusal of MOT certificate). Sounds a little fishy to me.

If you ask for them, remember to get both sets, as they tesed twice and refused twice.

Edited by xman

2 minutes ago, xman said:

If you ask for them, remember to get both sets, as they tesed twice and refused twice.

Thanks I'll definitely be picking those up tomorrow. 

As far as I can see the lambda result is 1.030 which is right on the maximum limit of 1.030 so I would say it is very marginal.

So it could easily fail on another tester or on another day.

However, a pass is a pass, so relief all round.

@Sunny_Kay please report them using the DVSA link. They are obliged under the MOT regulations to keep printed results for a minimum of 3 months and make copies avaible to the customer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-an-mot

They need to be held to account. Depending on the DVSA response you will be entitled to a refund.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 22:22, JXS said:

As far as I can see the lambda result is 1.030 which is right on the maximum limit of 1.030 so I would say it is very marginal.

So it could easily fail on another tester or on another day.

However, a pass is a pass, so relief all round.

But they claimed that it was the CO content that exceeds the limit, in fact its low as it should be at Lambda 1.03.

I bet they either are suddenly able to find & print the results or will be trying to refund the test fee.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2020 at 13:01, Sunny_Kay said:

REG: OS09NYA

Hi Everyone,

My fabia's MOT was due recently and I took it to a nearby garage and they tested it a couple of times, and said the car failed the MOT on emissions. I was a bit surprised as it's only a 2016 car. The official reason was 

Now, he's saying the catalytic converter needs to be replaced and I can either go for a manufacturer part at £1420 or aftermarket part at £540 + £150 labour (whichever part I go with).

How likely is it that he's not trying to rip me off or his machines not working properly? Is the price he's quoted me a decent price? Does it really need a catalytic converter replacement?

Any advice would be helpful, because I really don't want to go broke fixing my almost new car.

Thanks

Sonya

Had exactly the same thing bought a aftermarket catalytic converter for £90 from eBay problem solved make sure you get the exhaust sleeve aswell as they get really rusted 

• Groan 1