Yeti heater not working correctly.

oldstan

Noticed it last winter but ignored it ... but it's still doing it ... when you adjust the temperature dial from cold to hot it used to gradually and evenly increase the temperature of the air coming from the vents (both the cabin vents and the face level vents.

But now, as you turn the dial round to increase the temperature it doesn't get properly warm until you're well into the HOT zone  ... far more so than it used to when it was working correctly.

For example, when it indicates, say,  22 degrees on the display it's still blowing virtually cold - it needs to be turned up higher before you get a respectable amount of heat .

Is this something obvious that people have seen before,  or does it mean a strip down and replacement parts?

The car is now 9 years old.

Ta.

Morning Stan, it may be worth doing the heater/climate reset procedure ... have a search on the forums there is a thread, Im sure its ... dual mode on, then hold the AC and the front flaps button until the control panel LEDs flash then wait for the reset /calibration to finish .... alt it may indeed require something extra done ... no water leaks I assume or low water levels that may cause an air lock?

Edited by TruckbusUK

Update to above.

Carried our the procedure - no different.

It only really gets hot if the temp dial is set to max. Anything less results in tepid or cool air.

Just showed it to my local independant and he said they'd have to connect a computer to it and he didn't hazard a guess as to to what it could be.

He did say if it was the heater matrix it would take "hours and hours".

Don't think I fancy that.

Edited by oldstan

1 hour ago, oldstan said:

Update to above.

Carried our the procedure - no different.

It only really gets hot if the temp dial is set to max. Anything less results in tepid or cool air.

Just showed it to my local independant and he said they'd have to connect a computer to it and he didn't hazard a guess as to to what it could be.

He did say if it was the heater matrix it would take "hours and hours".

Don't think I fancy that.

Oh, well worth a try ... fingers crossed.

Sounds like a diverting vent is not working properly. As you turn up the heat the vent gradually diverts more hot air from the heater matrix to the car. Getting to it is another matter entirely!

30 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Sounds like a diverting vent is not working properly. As you turn up the heat the vent gradually diverts more hot air from the heater matrix to the car. Getting to it is another matter entirely!

That sounds sensible.

I don't know where it is either but presumably it's within/behind the switchgear.

My car had exactly the same problem described above. It turned out to be a temperature sensor on the air going through to the drivers vents had to be replaced. Cost for part £26 plus an hours labour.

• Like 1

Some of the Climatronic valves might be accessible with the glovebox removed & the centre console side trims, otherwise its a dash out job which seems intimidating but is not actually that difficult, I had to replace mine because the airbags had deployed.

My Yeti with a standard old school non Climatronic heater reacts in a similar way but really the problem is my being used to the fine control given by Climatronic, with this car I am having to use the heater control valve like I used to with cars in the past, eg turn up to max temp when cold & then gradually turn down once I get warm & then too hot.

I have simply forgotten what it used to be like.

I added these comments in case anyone else with a cheapo standard heater thinks there is something wrong and finds this thread.

Both the above really useful.

I'm assuming I have Climatronic simply because the screen says so.  however I did think that Climatronic was full, automatic air con.

My screen does say Climatronic but I rather thought I had plain old manual air con.  It's only an SE model.

-----------

Scotwall - any idea where that air sensor is physically located?  I could live with £26 plus and hours labour but can't face someone pulling the dash out.  I'd be frightened it would squeak or rattle and half the controls wold stop working (maybe that's a bit pessimistic?)

12 minutes ago, oldstan said:

I'm assuming I have Climatronic simply because the screen says so.  however I did think that Climatronic was full, automatic air con.

My screen does say Climatronic but I rather thought I had plain old manual air con.  It's only an SE model.

Is your control the same as this?
image.png.f74ab7f7c6bbf66ca6b83785d35811f4.png

That’s automatic a/c - you set a target temperature and the unit blends warm and cold air as needed to achieve it.  Manual systems just allow you to set a fixed ‘blend’ and adjust up or down yourself to achieve a comfortable temperature.

From the symptoms I would have suspected a sensor, as described by @Scotwall.

Sorry, I not know where this temperature sensor is oldstan. The one I had replaced was billed as part number 1K0907543E. It is easily available online, e.g at Amazon and ebay and is used for lots of VAG group vehicles. Perhaps someone can find out its position from the part number and how it connects into the aircon system. Due to Covid restrictions I had minimal contact with the garage technician at the time of the repair. I got the impression that the passenger side also has a sensor so that it can work independently from the drivers side. Maybe you could check if that side has better temperature control (I did not try this on mine at the time).

You might be able to work out where the temperature sensor could be from this Amazon advert which has an exploded diagram of aircon components:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Cabin-Temperature-Sensor-1K0907543E/dp/B07NQD685Q

It looks like it maybe component '23'  but there is only one of these shown. It is not clear which brand or model this is a diagram of, so apologies if this is a red herring! Hopefully someone will come up with a Yeti specific aircon components diagram.

9 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

There are half a dozen air temperature sensors around the system. Without plugging self diagnostics in and reading the live data from the sensors you are guessing and potentially wasting time and money,

Very much obliged for that.  It rather accords with what the lad at my independant garage said insofar as he' need to plug his computer in to see if he could find the problem. 

When he says that do we assume it's his standard diagnostic tool that he would use, rather than a VAG specific instument?  Initially it sounded a bit vague and I wasn't sure if he was just giving me a non-comittal answer  ... he didn't actually sound all that enthusiastic about the whole affair.

3 minutes ago, oldstan said:

Very much obliged for that.  It rather accords with what the lad at my independant garage said insofar as he' need to plug his computer in to see if he could find the problem. 

When he says that do we assume it's his standard diagnostic tool that he would use, rather than a VAG specific instument?  Initially it sounded a bit vague and I wasn't sure if he was just giving me a non-comittal answer  ... he didn't actually sound all that enthusiastic about the whole affair.

To access the Climatronic control unit you will need something specific, it is not an OBD system.

Edited by Tech1e