Three child seats

This is the exact search term that gave no results on this forum so I thought I'd start a new topic.

A daughter is looking for a car that can take three child seats across the back and strongly desires not to become a people carrier person. I know the Superb has only two Isofix mounts and the third seat would have to be secured with the seatbelt**, but has anyone fitted three child seats across the width of a Superb estate? Any help much appreciated.

**When my children were young all the car seats were secured with seatbelts, and the centre row middle seat in my people carrier## only had a lap belt. How times change!

## hence my daughter's desire not to get a people carrier!!!!!!!!!!

My wife’s previous car was a Titanium X Sport Ford S Max. It drove absolutely nothing like a people carrier. It cornered way better than its size would have you believe, and had an isofix point for each of the three seats in the middle row. 

I've got two Joie 360 spin car seats for the twins and it's a tight squeeze for my 13 year old daughter to fit in, so I definitely couldn't fit another car seat in there.  It's a pity because that was one of the main reasons I bought the car.

My wife has an S-Max and they all fit in with plenty of space.  I'd have to disagree with @UndertheRadar, I think it drives like a people carrier.  It looks OK though, it's the Titanium Sport with 19 inch wheels, so it's not a standard one.

@100andthirty Note: None of the 3 seats is Isofix. The baby seat in the middle slightly pushes the others outwards. If you have 2 isofix seats for left and right, I fear you may miss few inches to install the 3rd one in the middle.

• 9 months later...

I have a similar question. I have a 2016 Superb Combi. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and a new one arriving in January 2022. Im thinking a booster seat in the middle for the 6 year old. But im wondering if anyone can recommend a car seat that is narrow for the 2 year old. The one i have is very bulky and will make it uncomfortable on the shoulder of the 6 year old. The baby will be rear facing so it wont  impact on the 6 year old. Please help I dont want to change my car as i am very happy with it. All advice greatly excepted.

Update as I started the thread nearly a year ago. Following my original post, my daughter discovered that she was expecting twins and two lovely little boys have been born to add to the two small children they already have. In the end, they decided to keep their Ford Kuga, and have fitted a 4-seat Multimac. It all works fine.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There is probably a combination of separate seats whereby three will fit across the back seats of a Superb, but I could not find it.  I live near the Britax factory and with a bit of arm twisting they let me try out the most likely combinations of seats - none fitted together.  There is actually a lot of room in the back of the Superb but the two sets of ISOFIX fittings are too close together to permit a third seat in between.  I didn't like the multimac solution.  When our twins arrived and increased child numbers to three, I had to give up my 280 ps and swapped it for an iV with an extra ISOFIX on the front passenger seat.  Of course you can only get one adult in, but most of our journeys are one of the adults plus an assortment of children.  We have a Land Rover Discovery (ISOFIX x 5) for when we need to go anywhere as a family.

I was surprised that the three car seat issue had not been better addressed in cars until I discovered that you only need to have appropriate child seats for two of your three (or more) children!  If fitment of two child seats prevents fitment of a third, the third child (if over 3 yrs) must use an adult belt.  The highway code, Rule 99, states:

Correct child restraint MUST be used where seat belts fitted. MUST use adult belt if correct child restraint is not available in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle, or for reasons of unexpected necessity over a short distance, or if two occupied restraints prevent fitment of a third.

I'm guessing this exemption is why they think they don't need to address the issue, or it is just that car buyers with three or more children are too few for it to be worth catering for.