Karoq Auto Engine Stop / Re - Start

K100RS

Having had our Yeti 2.0 litre 110 diesel engine for some 10 years and no longer being able to purchase a new one we have settled for the petrol 1.5 SEL model. Having to override the auto engine stop software is driving the Mrs nuts every time she gets into the car. Is there a way to override this so called feature so you don't have to keep pressing the button every time you get into the car? Or is there a way using the VCDS system to override the auto system. Our Karoq was manufactured in Aug 2020 and need to look for the correct mud flaps for our model with internal plastic inserts around the wheel arches.

Have already noticed things like the petrol cap with no seal so water fills up inside and of course wipers that cannot be reached just by pulling them up for cleaning and autumn leaves filling up in the well by the wiper blades which did not happen with the Yeti. That's progress I suppose.

Previous methods of disabling start/stop (by changing the trigger voltage via software changes) apparently don't work anymore. So it's either get used to it (although I understand it's a bit more aggressive than it is in my 2014 Golf) or press the button every time. 

Most VAG cars hide their wipers under the bonnet to reduce air resistance, and to lift the wipers you have to flick them to the 'service' position first - where they stop at the end of their travel, parallel with the roof pillar. 

Can't comment on the fuel flap as I'm still waiting for my Karoq to arrive - and despite it being on the way at last, may well get delayed by the lockdown now. 

HI CJJE

Sounds like I can't override the lets wear the engine out and starter motor mode every time the Mrs comes to a stop at a traffic jam. Will have a look at her instruction book for the service position just to get to the wiper blades. Hope you don't have to wait to long for your car to arrive as we were told not until the New Year if we wanted every spec that the wife wanted including electric boot and heated windscreen. Found one in the UK that had heated windscreen but not an electric boot for the Mrs. At least it had the emergency spare wheel built in the boot as our Yeti 110. Very happy with it so far with better side mirrors but of course down to the usual small rear window unlike the Yeti. Now have a set of OEM Yeti roof rack bars to sell but at least the nice flexible rubber mats fit the Karoq with a little mod on one button fixing hole for the driver on the rhs.

7 minutes ago, K100RS said:

HI CJJE

Sounds like I can't override the lets wear the engine out and starter motor mode every time the Mrs comes to a stop at a traffic jam. Will have a look at her instruction book for the service position just to get to the wiper blades. Hope you don't have to wait to long for your car to arrive as we were told not until the New Year if we wanted every spec that the wife wanted including electric boot and heated windscreen. Found one in the UK that had heated windscreen but not an electric boot for the Mrs. At least it had the emergency spare wheel built in the boot as our Yeti 110. Very happy with it so far with better side mirrors but of course down to the usual small rear window unlike the Yeti. Now have a set of OEM Yeti roof rack bars to sell but at least the nice flexible rubber mats fit the Karoq with a little mod on one button fixing hole for the driver on the rhs.

I fitted my Yeti rubber mats. What mod did you do for the driver's mat?

tom

The wiper service position setting is exactly the same as the Yeti, switch off ignition flick wiper stalk down. And as above stop/ start is not wearing your starter or anything else prematurely.

3 hours ago, K100RS said:

HI CJJE

Hope you don't have to wait to long for your car to arrive as we were told not until the New Year if we wanted every spec that the wife wanted including electric boot and heated windscreen. Found one in the UK that had heated windscreen but not an electric boot for the Mrs. 

My order was probably delayed by adding the MY21 Area View option, but at least it's been built now and is on the way. Now if it arrives during lock down, can the dealer still sell it to me as a 'Click and Collect' purchase like other non-essential retailers? The workshops will still be operating I should think so they can prep it for me, so I'm hoping I won't have to wait until the 2nd of December (or later). 

Hi Sanqhar.

Drivers Yeti rubber mat was about one cm different to the fixed studs on the floor to push them down on so just drilled another hole next to the original on the rhs to align up with the two correctly. Just leaves the original hole without the push on stud.   Hi Roottoot well many years ago as an engineering apprentice I was told the maximum wear on the engine is when there is no oil pressure and it needs to build up the pressure through the oil ways in the engine. So surely starting up the engine many times must produce more wear and tear on the engine, also the starter motor (if there is a normal one) will wear out the brushes and the engagement mechanics more than the engine ticking over all the time. Perhaps I am totally wrong about this but my cars are kept for anything up to 17-18 years old not exchanged every 3 years or part exchange.

Stop start cars have starter motors designed for a huge number of starts.

Stop start does not work unless engine is ok to use it. Lots of parameters including engine temp, battery state etc to decide if on or not.

You will notice the engine starts near instantly with little turning by the starter motor. The engine stops at the right point in the cycle for near instant restart.

It is so easy to turn it on or off with the button that I change it many times in a trip. On at traffic lights or when pauses are likely to be long. Off at junctions and roundabouts where I want no hesitation going for a small gap. Off in slow stop start traffic.

Don't forget that you can restart the car with a slight wiggle of the steering wheel if it has stopped at a junction or lights and you want no hesitation before moving off

• Like 2

So intelligent use of the stop start saves fuel, reduces pollution and means you have an engine which is much more resistant to wear.

By turning it on and off with the button depending on the situation you get the best if both worlds 

• Like 1

The figure of 50,000 starts in an engine life of a non stop start vehicle needs some thought.

Obviously there are Taxis, Courier / deliveries that do lots of starts every day.

If a vehicle is used every day of the year and the vehicle is started 6 times that is about 2,200 times. multiplied by 22 years that is 48,000 times or so.

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Stop start cars have starter motors designed for a huge number of starts. Really. I can’t imagine any manufacturer spending more on a better starter motor.

Stop start does not work unless engine is ok to use it. Lots of parameters including engine temp, battery state etc to decide if on or not. That’s the theory, but when tested on our cars I proved it would often cut out within a few hundred yards of a cold start, counter to the “criteria”. 

You will notice the engine starts near instantly with little turning by the starter motor. The engine stops at the right point in the cycle for near instant restart.

It is so easy to turn it on or off with the button that I change it many times in a trip. On at traffic lights or when pauses are likely to be long. Off at junctions and roundabouts where I want no hesitation going for a small gap. Off in slow stop start traffic. Off every time I climb behind the wheel. Makes for a more comfortable journey.

Don't forget that you can restart the car with a slight wiggle of the steering wheel if it has stopped at a junction or lights and you want no hesitation before moving off

16 hours ago, CJJE said:

My order was probably delayed by adding the MY21 Area View option, but at least it's been built now and is on the way. Now if it arrives during lock down, can the dealer still sell it to me as a 'Click and Collect' purchase like other non-essential retailers? The workshops will still be operating I should think so they can prep it for me, so I'm hoping I won't have to wait until the 2nd of December (or later). 

Good morning Mr CJJE

I'm in an almost identical situation. And an almost identical car, as it happens. Just a different colour.

Our car has been enjoying the delights of the arse-end of the car in front in a sea of other cars in Grimsby since early week, and despite me pestering those jolly helpful peeps on the Skoda chat thing every few minutes, it's still there.

I asked the same question of our supplying dealer this morning, and they confirmed what I'd hoped would be the case:

"Good morning Mr Extremely Important Customer*

We have had a brief meeting this morning regarding the new lockdown coming into force from Thursday. They are looking into click & collect for handovers. We are hoping that we will be able to still hand cars over as all paperwork can be done remotely. There are talks of having the cars either inside the handover bay or outside of it & the keys will be in a pot for you to collect. We are able to video the controls to our customers so we don't need to be sitting next to you to show you how it works. 

Once I know more about this I will let you know, but all being well, we will still be able to get you into your new Skoda. 

Kind regards

Beyoncé*

Sales Executive"

* I've edited the names here in the interests of privacy.
  • Thanks 1

Great news! I emailed my sales exec last Friday to gee him up a bit, but I've been getting most of my updates by Twitter DM from Skoda UK. My sales exec promised to phone me back when he'd found my car, but not replied yet! 

I'll have to chase him again and see if he wants his commission in November or December :)

59 minutes ago, CJJE said:

Great news! I emailed my sales exec last Friday to gee him up a bit, but I've been getting most of my updates by Twitter DM from Skoda UK. My sales exec promised to phone me back when he'd found my car, but not replied yet! 

I'll have to chase him again and see if he wants his commission in November or December :)

Update: Skoda UK tell me my car is still in transit between the factory and Emden (after nearly two weeks for an 8 hour journey!) so I'm a way off seeing my car yet! Could be a Christmas present the time it's taking :)

Thanks everybody for all the information on the Karoq my wife has recently received and will tell her again to read the instruction manual first! 

Our local Skoda dealership actually delivered the wife's car to our house and quickly went through the basics for her.

For once I was impressed with the salesman there. Once the mud flaps turn up I have the fun of bolting them on as our Norfolk roads like the Yeti throw the mud up all over the sides of the car. 

Lets hope this does 140,000 miles as my Yeti without faults occurring. (apart from turbo clamp coming loose)

I hate Stop/Start too, and disable it each time I get in the car.  Despite what anybody says I can't help but think that repeated use of the starter motor will eventually knacker something....!!

I've seen these regularly mentioned but haven't bothered buying one so can't vouch for it, to me it is second nature now to disable the stop/start as I put my seat belt on, so no great issue.....

https://www.kufatec.com/en/coding-diagnosis/kufatec-coding-dongle/coding-dongle-disable-start-stop-for-vw-seat-skoda-audi-40019

• Like 1

Daft question but do these use a standard 'starter motor' arrangement for the stop start?  If so then I'd anticipate it is a much heavier duty one that can withstand the extra use.

O only ask as I have Stop/Start on the Swift but it uses a separate belt driver motor/generator for the motor assist and stop/start function and the traditional 'starter motor is only used for the initial start-up for each journey.

On 02/11/2020 at 11:06, CJJE said:

Update: Skoda UK tell me my car is still in transit between the factory and Emden (after nearly two weeks for an 8 hour journey!) so I'm a way off seeing my car yet! Could be a Christmas present the time it's taking :)

Rather gloomy news here, I'm afraid - I heard from our dealer that transport is downing tools on Thursday until early December. They'd raised a transport order on the 27th of October, but that's as far as it's got.

I've no idea if this is an industry-wide transport hiatus, but I imagine it might well be.

I could always ask on the Skoda chat thing, but I can barely see through the tears.

Phooey.

Hi Phutters,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but do find it surprising that can manufacturers are so keen on Just-in-Time when it comes to stocking the components for their production lines, but then let valuable cars sit around between the factory and the customer! My car was built on the 21st October, and it's only an 8 hour drive to Emden. But it is still parked up somewhere  in Germany! Why is it OK to spend weeks transporting the cars to the dealers, if it's not OK to have warehouses full of tyres, sunroofs, engines etc?? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CJJE said:

Hi Phutters,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but do find it surprising that can manufacturers are so keen on Just-in-Time when it comes to stocking the components for their production lines, but then let valuable cars sit around between the factory and the customer! My car was built on the 21st October, and it's only an 8 hour drive to Emden. But it is still parked up somewhere  in Germany! Why is it OK to spend weeks transporting the cars to the dealers, if it's not OK to have warehouses full of tyres, sunroofs, engines etc?? 

They can park an assembled car in a muddy field somewhere at very little cost, but a warehouse, full of parts, costs money......?

Edited by Phil245
  • Sad 1